Hi guys,

I have been meaning to get on here and be more participatory but I have been starting my own business, personal marriage issues etc...but I had a quick question! I stopped my antacid because of various side effects. I tried several different ones. Now I find that It is harder to eat, I get full faster and my interest in food has waned. Anyone else experienced this? Thank you very much for any info! 

I don't have any advice at all for you but, I am wondering. What kind of side effects were you having and which acid reducer were you on?

I was having a lot of trouble with heartburn and the acid reducer wasn't helping much, and during that time I did feel less interest in food and could eat less. But I attributed it to feeling so acidy all the time.

• all I know is my dr said my GERD med is something I have to be weaned off of,....other wise you can get kind of a rebound acid effect.  So I need to take it every other day for a while then every 3 days etc. I started doing it and then stopped it last week and had heartburn 2 times and I haven't had it in months, so I went back to every other day with it.  perhaps your body is having issues w/ going off of it all at once?  evidently some ppl have acid reflux and don't feel the burn so I am wondering if you are having irritation in your esophagus and you are experiencing issues because of that?  what did your dr say?  

19 hours ago, Readytobeme said:

I don't have any advice at all for you but, I am wondering. What kind of side effects were you having and which acid reducer were you on?

Hi,

I don't want to scare anyone, as I am always that 2% when responding to medication or supplements. I personally had high anxiety on antacids which caused a lot of issues. My GP said this can happen with acid reducers as they are messing with your stomach, which is like a second nervous system in the body and where most of our serotonin is stored. I also had a hard time withdrawing from them, but feel so much better off of them now.  

17 hours ago, ubergirl said:

I was having a lot of trouble with heartburn and the acid reducer wasn't helping much, and during that time I did feel less interest in food and could eat less. But I attributed it to feeling so acidy all the time.

Thank you! I also wondered if it was because I had higher acid now as well. I do know that getting off of them has made my stomach feel like it did at 4 months post op, I can't eat as much at one sitting as I was starting to be able to do at 8 months post op. I switched to low acid coffee and have had 0 problems with heartburn since. Thank goodness too because we have to give up so much after this surgery I may have cried if someone took my coffee!!;)

17 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:
  • all I know is my dr said my GERD med is something I have to be weaned off of,....other wise you can get kind of a rebound acid effect.  So I need to take it every other day for a while then every 3 days etc. I started doing it and then stopped it last week and had heartburn 2 times and I haven't had it in months, so I went back to every other day with it.  perhaps your body is having issues w/ going off of it all at once?  evidently some ppl have acid reflux and don't feel the burn so I am wondering if you are having irritation in your esophagus and you are experiencing issues because of that?  what did your dr say?  

Thanks for the response! I definitely experienced withdrawal as well. I switched from prilosec to tagamet for a month in order to be acid reducer free. My doctor just kind of shrugged and said that every body is so different and that maybe I never needed the acid reducer so now getting off of it, my body can find it's new normal. I don't know, I don't love my surgeon :wacko:. My GP said that since the prilosec caused me anxiety, now that I am off of it, I don't feel that I need to emotionally eat for the anxiety anymore. I think there is not real explanation that the medical world can find honestly. I just thought it was so strange. 

I take Dexilant for my GERD/Reflux I did try to get off of it at 6 months but it was a no go. I still have heartburn on top of it. Going to try again at my year mark because I have read that  at 12 to 18 months our pouches will be fully matured as far as size.

Edited by tracyringo

5 hours ago, Learningtolovemyself said:

Hi,

I don't want to scare anyone, as I am always that 2% when responding to medication or supplements. I personally had high anxiety on antacids which caused a lot of issues. My GP said this can happen with acid reducers as they are messing with your stomach, which is like a second nervous system in the body and where most of our serotonin is stored. I also had a hard time withdrawing from them, but feel so much better off of them now.  

No worries at all. It would take a lot more than that to scare me ;)

I am on prilosec. Not sure for how long but, my husband insists that the Dr said for life. That was after my surgery which was a very long day. I will find out the next time I go in for an appt though.

5 hours ago, tracyringo said:

I take Dexilant for my GERD/Reflux I did try to get off of it at 6 months but it was a no go. I still have heartburn on top of it. Going to try again at my year mark because I have read that  at 12 to 18 months our pouches will be fully matured as far as size.

I never knew that this acid stuff would be such a huge deal, but then again, this whole journey has been unexpected. What I do know for a fact though is that every quirk and weird thing that has happened has been worth it for how much better I feel. For your acid issues, I have heard that papaya enzymes chewed after meals helps a lot, I have yet to try them. Let me know if you find a solution. The main thing that has worked for me is to avoid aspartame and drink low acid coffee. 

9 hours ago, Learningtolovemyself said:

Thank you! I also wondered if it was because I had higher acid now as well. I do know that getting off of them has made my stomach feel like it did at 4 months post op, I can't eat as much at one sitting as I was starting to be able to do at 8 months post op. I switched to low acid coffee and have had 0 problems with heartburn since. Thank goodness too because we have to give up so much after this surgery I may have cried if someone took my coffee!!;)

I was really frustrated with the acid for a while there. After I talked to the doc I decided to be super super careful and implement every single change they suggested.  1. take the pill on an empty stomach (I know you're not taking any, but I take one daily.) 2. actually give up spicy stuff 3. Choose really carefully and avoid anything even slightly fatty.   4. absolutely stop eating before I think I'm full.  When I really started doing those four things my heartburn calmed right down.  Would love to drop the med, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for that yet.

18 hours ago, Learningtolovemyself said:

I never knew that this acid stuff would be such a huge deal, but then again, this whole journey has been unexpected. What I do know for a fact though is that every quirk and weird thing that has happened has been worth it for how much better I feel. For your acid issues, I have heard that papaya enzymes chewed after meals helps a lot, I have yet to try them. Let me know if you find a solution. The main thing that has worked for me is to avoid aspartame and drink low acid coffee. 

Papaya enzymes (mostly by the name of papain) digest protein, they don't block acid production... ;) Maybe someone's papaya preparation ALSO contained something to help with acid. 

FYI Tagamet is also a drug that reduces acid production but via a different route than prilosec does. 

Going back to your original question on this thread, I stopped taking prilosec at about month 3 as I recall... did not notice any changes re: appetite one way or the other, but when I Googled prilosec and appetite, it warns that it could reduce your appetite. This suggests that if it affects your appetite, you might be feeling more hungry, not less, after stopping it. So your change in hunger may have happened about the same time as you stopped the prilosec, but they are likely to be unrelated. 

Maybe, though, we should be applauding your lack of appetite! You are over 120 lbs down, in Onederland, and a very successful person!

Apple cider vinegar can help the symptoms of pain and burning in the chest caused by acid reflux. It lowers stomach acidity and and that in turn can help prevent stomach acid travelling back into the esophagus.  Drink 2 tsps mixed in a glass of water at each meal.  

I like Bragg's ACV - this is a good read:  What is Apple Cider Vinegar with The Mother?

18 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Papaya enzymes (mostly by the name of papain) digest protein, they don't block acid production... ;) Maybe someone's papaya preparation ALSO contained something to help with acid. 

FYI Tagamet is also a drug that reduces acid production but via a different route than prilosec does. 

Going back to your original question on this thread, I stopped taking prilosec at about month 3 as I recall... did not notice any changes re: appetite one way or the other, but when I Googled prilosec and appetite, it warns that it could reduce your appetite. This suggests that if it affects your appetite, you might be feeling more hungry, not less, after stopping it. So your change in hunger may have happened about the same time as you stopped the prilosec, but they are likely to be unrelated. 

Maybe, though, we should be applauding your lack of appetite! You are over 120 lbs down, in Onederland, and a very successful person!

Wow! I love that you delved into some research for this question. I agree about the appetite. I really did feel so much hungrier on them. Also, thank you for your words of encouragement! They are so appreciated!

I was sleeved 5-10-18.

I was given a 30 day supply of a generic PPI, sorry I can't remember the name, but I think I can relate some to what you're saying. The doc said they gave it to me to reduce acid/help prevent the formation of ulcers, and that after 30 days I wouldn't need it because I'd likely be out of the woods re: ulcer formation.
When I took the drug I definitely felt easier eating, and my appetite was fine. About two days after I ran out I had the sensation in my stomach of it being more sensitive to food and for 2-3 days I did experience less appetite. However, after about a week that less appetite feeling went away, although I do still feel the difference in my stomach the drug made.
I've never really had issues with acid reflux unless of course I overeat.

Edited by ranamy