Quick WLS PSA for y'all.

Caught up with an old TT by passer over the weekend. She got to goal years ago and has stayed there. She kept following her food plan but slacked on the vitamins a bit. In short, she has been suffering from exhaustion and severe joint pain to the point she can barely get out of bed. Turns out, her B-12 levels are super low. Fortunately, she isn't at the point where it can't be reversed but her dr told her another 6 months of getting almost no B-12 and the damage was likely to be irreversible. 

Don't get lazy about vitamins and supplements!

Edited by Stephtay

B12 is probably the easiest of all vitamins to manage....one injection every three months and it's done and dusted....plus it's cheap. It's such an important part of the calcium, D3, B12 trilogy.

Out of interest @Stephtay, do you know how long it had been between blood tests for your friend. I'd be interested to know how long it takes to deplete B12. Eggs are a great option to increase B12 as well.

Edited by Aussie Bear

My B12 is not low so far. I do intend to take my vitamins for life. Interestingly my Dr says that if I get to the point I need more B12 than I am already getting, they prefer sublingual to the injections. With the injections you get a sudden jolt of B12 and then nothing. With the daily sublingual you get a steady supply.

I always thought that the injections were best myself until I had WLS.

Edited by Readytobeme

1 hour ago, Aussie Bear said:

B12 is probably the easiest of all vitamins to manage....one injection every three months and it's done and dusted....plus it's cheap. It's such an important part of the calcium, D3, B12 trilogy.

Out of interest @Stephtay, do you know how long it had been between blood tests for your friend. I'd be interested to know how long it takes to deplete B12. Eggs are a great option to increase B12 as well.

I don't know but I will ask! I did some googling after she told me what happened to her and per googled info, it sounds like it might have been a couple of years. Scary stuff.  

1 hour ago, Stephtay said:

I don't know but I will ask! I did some googling after she told me what happened to her and per googled info, it sounds like it might have been a couple of years. Scary stuff.  

Yikes! I have a friend that I met online. She had VSG the same day as I did. She is not good about taking her vitamins already. I am trying my best to nudge her along. I have read so many horror stories about WLS people when they quit taking vitamins. I hope that I am able to help her.

Edited by Readytobeme

5 hours ago, Readytobeme said:

My B12 is not low so far. I do intend to take my vitamins for life. Interestingly my Dr says that if I get to the point I need more B12 than I am already getting, they prefer sublingual to the injections. With the injections you get a sudden jolt of B12 and then nothing. With the daily sublingual you get a steady supply.

I always thought that the injections were best myself until I had WLS.

It was my doctor that insisted on the injections and started them from about two weeks post-op. There was nothing wrong with my B12 levels at the time. Usually at the time I have my shot my level is still at the upper end of the acceptable range, it goes to about three times that level after the shot and gradually drops back to where it was when I had the last one. So three months between shots works well for me. From memory B12 isn't one of those vitamins that can be damaging to be well above normal range. It costs me about $12 for 3 vials (9 months worth), then I just have to find a nurse to administer them, although if you wanted to inject yourself, that would save that issue. My medical team have also made the decision to not supplement iron and go with infusions instead. It wasn't until 9 months after my surgery that I needed one, and as that took my iron levels back to pre-surgery levels (which were always very high due to haemochromatosis), the expectation is that I'll only need those every 9 months or so. The less supplements I have to take each day, the better as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Aussie Bear