Sign in to follow this  
Georgepds

Good vegetable soup

I'm in my second week and allowed pureed foods, including pureed vegetable soup

I'm tired of things from cans and bottles.. so I thought why not cook your own. Here is a recipe from Martha Stewart that is great, even pureed. I cannot wait till next week when I don't have to pure it

https://www.marthastewart.com/318100/big-batch-vegetable-soup

Thanks! This chili made me so happy during that stage. I still make it all the time. 

Dottie's Texas Chili
From Lowcarbfriends 

1 pound ground turkey
1 large yellow onion – diced 
1 can (14.5 ounce) cut diced tomatoes 
1 can (8 ounce) tomato sauce
1 can (14 ounce) beef broth 
1 cup water 
11/2 teaspoon chili powder 
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin 
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper 
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder 
1/2 teaspoon ground oregano 
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt 
1 teaspoon ground black pepper 
Shredded Cheddar cheese
Sour Cream

Brown ground beef and onions, breaking up well. Drain well.

Add spices and continue to cook and blend well.

Add the remaining ingredients. 

Reduce heat, cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes or until reduced slightly. 

Add water or more broth if necessary.

Serve hot with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream.

That does look good George - try adding some beans - it adds some body and much needed protein.  And I always add some grated Parmesan Reggiano for both flavour and protein to my tomato based soups.

Beside the onion,tomato,celery base I added peas,carrots,green beans,zuchinni,lima beans,sweet corn, and brussel sprouts.That's 10 vegetables total, which should be some help for nutrients , not to mention fiber.

Next round I'm going to add garlic and red cabbage.I'm also thinking of browning some chicken with the onions to add a bit of protein.

mmmmmm

4 hours ago, Georgepds said:

That's 10 vegetables total, which should be some help for nutrients , not to mention fiber.

Good for fibre, but remember that your priority needs to be protien which isn't generally well provided by vegetables. My surgeon (and my crappy dietician for that matter)  was quite clear that vegetables have no priority anymore in my little stomach. What they provide can be found in supplements that take up far less room. My surgeon's exact words were he doesn't "care if I never eat vegetables again". My dietician said "vegetables are for fat people, they fill up the stomach with fewer calories so aid weightloss in people with larger stomachs. That's not someone who has had WLS, and vegetables have very little place in a post WLS diet".

Greta, thanks

The chilli looks like high protein. I'll give it a try next week

Aussie

I am concerned about the lack of protein. In the next stage, when I don't have to eat mush,  I'll turn into chicken soup. Pureed chicken just sounds so gross to me

Got to admit I admire Polan's directive... eat food mostly plants not too much. It will take me a while to regard vegetables as evil .I buy Pollan's idea that you can't be reductive about nutrition (beta carotene vs carrots comes to mind)

In part I bought all this chicken broth before surgery, which I found difficult to eat plain. Made into a vegetable soup , it is edible.

Maybe the next batch I'll try without the starchy vegetables ( peas corn beans)

Maybe I can justify it as part of the liquid requirements. In this stage dehydration is the first worry

Edited by Georgepds

3 hours ago, Georgepds said:

I am concerned about the lack of protein. In the next stage, when I don't have to eat mush,  ...........

In the early days post-op - even when you're cleared for all foods, it's virtually impossible to meet your protein needs from food George.  Protein shakes have been an essential part of my diet since my WLS. 

Cinwa

I'm with you.... I do two a day now,60 gm, and try to get the rest from food

12 hours ago, Georgepds said:

In the next stage, when I don't have to eat mush,  I'll turn into chicken soup. Pureed chicken just sounds so gross to me

I was the same....pureed meat was just a complete no go for my brain. I vividly recall my first post-op with my surgeon at 13 days out.  I'll preface this by saying we were fed soft food in hospital (soggy weetbix, yoghurt, soups etc), after asking about what I been eating since discharge, he asked where the meat was. I explained that just the thought of puréed meat turned my stomach, and at that point he cleared me to eat anything I could tolerate. According to him it couldn't do any harm to the surgery.....but I'd learn quickly to eat slowly and chew each bite. I immediately started eating minced meats in various forms with lots of Sauce/gravy along with scrambled eggs for my first meal after being cleared. From memory eggs were the only protien I tried at the time that caused me some problems. Eggs still can be a bit hit and miss for me, but pretty much everything else goes down pretty well....at least on first cook....on reheating, well that takes some time and planning.

Edited by Aussie Bear

12 hours ago, Georgepds said:

Got to admit I admire Polan's directive... eat food mostly plants not too much. It will take me a while to regard vegetables as evil .I buy Pollan's idea that you can't be reductive about nutrition (beta carotene vs carrots comes to mind)

Maybe I can justify it as part of the liquid requirements. In this stage dehydration is the first worry

Hi George, I agree with you about being reductive. I am convinced that we just do not know everything about nutrition (by a long shot), so singling out parts of foodstuffs and ignoring or not knowing about the rest doesn't appeal to me. I also tend to be sympathetic to Pollan's ideas, partly because they take this into consideration. 

I am a bit concerned about vegetables myself, even though I'm one year out. I don't eat meat or fish, so the protein question is even more important. Since I do want to eat vegetables (and fruits), I make sure I get a protein boost each day using a shake. Then there's not so much pressure to get it all from meals (which I just can't do).

Good for you that you're prioritizing fluids right now. Protein is a close second at the moment. The rest will come in due time. :-)

Congrats on your surgery and keep us posted!

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:12 AM, Georgepds said:

YES!!  Please don't try to regard veggies as evil...they just aren't!  If you look solely through the lens of WLS, they for sure are not the priority.  However, we are so much more than obesity survivors lol.  The phytonutrients in veggies, the fiber, the anti-oxidants...there are just too many good things in them that cannot be replicated in a pill.  Vitamins, yes for sure but there is so much more to them. 

Oncologists will likely have the opposite nutritional advice of WLS surgeons; eat veggies and limit meat.  Because they view everything through a cancer-prevention lens.  It becomes quite tricky to decide which advice is "right" when really each contributor has something of value to offer.  There is no "one size fits all" nutrition prescription.

You sound like you are off to a great start...welcome to your new gloriously healthy life!

@Georgepds

Hi George hope you are doing ok, curious how your sugars are running now after the discussions last week, hope they are improving!

May have mentioned this to you already or you may have read it in old posts, but I am a fan of being an egg into some broth (chicken broth or fish stock) that has had a touch of vinegar in it - like Greek avgolemono or Asian egg drop soup. Just had some for lunch; a cup of broth with a small splash of wine vinegar brought to a boil, then taken off the flame and the egg beaten in with a fork. (If you beat in while boiling, you get big clumps of egg and not the attractive tiny whispy gossamer bits you want at the puree stage. The acid helps the protein (egg white) in the hot broth to become solid). If you like food spicy you can use Tabasco as it is made with vinegar, and I add a drop of sesame oil and some thinly sliced/diced scallions for more flavor. (Apologies in advance if I have posted this to you earlier in a different thread).

Staying on your topic, veggies and fruit are so important to an healthy diet, I try to eat oily fish and legumes/beans/lentils for protein, sort of a Mediterranean diet approach. Like the others still do a protein shake in the morning with fruit (and sometimes  half an ounce of walnuts) blended in to start the day with high protein, liquid, some fruit, and some psyllium for fiber; the oils in walnuts are just the ones you want for an heart-healthy diet. If you use blueberries the shake is a riotous ludicrous purple. 

BB

Thanks, I'm doing ok, but the BG is not where I want it, 120 this morning

Thanks for the tip on egg drop soup. Got to admit the chilli is calling me, and it is on next week's menu. Like many, I use protein drinks to meet the requirements .

The good news is it's like I never had the operation. I'm still on purees,so I'm not pushing anything. But no aches or pains or abdominal distress. Guess I got lucky. 

Looks good. My program does not allow me to eat any soup other than broth or creams. It is the same as drinking with food. Same goes for cereal with milk.

Believe me that I have some really good soup recipes that will be dearly missed.