I am 1 year and 10 months post Gastric Sleeve surgery and gaining weight!!!  Was doing fairly well and even worked out with a personal trainer but weight loss stopped and now I'm slowly regaining.  I am no longer working out and eating about 1160 calories a day and have had my psychiatric medications changed but to no avail.  Not sure what to do.  Haven't seen doctor for about a year because I am embarrassed.  Any suggestions?

Welcome to Thinner Times Darla.

I don't know what impact psychiatric medications have on the metabolism but the only thing I can suggest is that you start weighing your foods and drinks with calories so that you know exactly how many calories you're taking in and where they're coming from in terms of protein, fats and carbs.

Welcome!  I echo the wise advice above from @cinwa.

In addition, many people who have been in your position have found that doing the five day pouch test helps them reset their diet and get them back losing weight. You can find details about it here:

http://www.5daypouchtest.com/plan/theplan.html

We are here to support you. 

That has to be so frustrating. This is not the time to hide from your doctors. Seek out their help. Why are you no longer working out? Do you track your food intake? Sometimes that can catch hidden calories and carbs that would slip your mind otherwise. What kind of eating plan are you on? Are you hitting your daily protein and fluid-intake goals? Have you thought about trying the 5-day pouch test? We're here to support you. Let's turn things around before they get way out of hand.

(Full disclosure: I'm a slow loser who works out like crazy and can never imagine being able to eat over 1000 calories in a day and not gain weight.)

Edited by Gretta

1 hour ago, Darla LaPlante said:

I am 1 year and 10 months post Gastric Sleeve surgery and gaining weight!!!  Was doing fairly well and even worked out with a personal trainer but weight loss stopped and now I'm slowly regaining.  I am no longer working out and eating about 1160 calories a day and have had my psychiatric medications changed but to no avail.  Not sure what to do.  Haven't seen doctor for about a year because I am embarrassed.  Any suggestions?

HI Darla, welcome to the Forum! Some suggestions:

- Track calories carefully and if possible shift some of the carbohydrates to protein. Everything else being equal, people on a high protein diet may lose weight when a person eating the same calories with high carbohydrates may not lose or even gain. If your weight regain is really slow then a shift to more protein may be helpful. 

- Do you have a good social support system? If not, post here, and go to the group sessions your docs may host for people after surgery. People who go to support groups have a BMI that is about 10% less than people who don't actively use a support group. Tell your family to tell you how wonderful it is that you lost weight EVERY DAY so you have some reinforcement! Look for some support here!

- Walk an half hour a day or something else that you will do (e.g. pick some kind of exercise you will stick with). Exercise helps with preventing weight regain, and regardless of your prior surgery, it's an health habit that predicts a longer life and an healthier life. It also helps with anxiety and depression. In studies of persons after weight loss surgery, exercise is not necessary for weight loss but it predicts a slightly lower eventual weight - and importantly, helps prevent weight gain. Most of the health benefits go to people with no exercise who go to modest amounts of exercise, so you don't have to extremes here! (The difference found in studies is a bit more than 2 BMI points, e.g. someone might end up with a BMI of 24 with exercise, and 26 without exercise). 

- Your doc / docs / nutritionists see this all the time! Go ahead and call them, say you are a little embarrassed but want the help of their expertise and experience to get to where you would like to be. A lot of people have weight re-gain, the average person does, so you are just like lots of other people. Their job is to be professional and helpful. Long-term results are better if you continue to use and rely upon them. So this is one of those pull up your pants and just go do it bits of advice. 

Good luck!

So much wisdom here already, but I just wanted to say that I am happy to see that you're reaching out and trying to turn the ship around! I'm a little over a year out, and I can see how it could happen that food habits, exercise habits, and protein/water intake habits could gradually change back toward unhealthy. If that's the case for you, a few weeks of strict control might help out - both physically (you'll probably lose weight!) and mentally (you'll feel like you're in control). Welcome and best of luck. Read around the forum to see how others are dealing with this issue. You are very much not alone.

Some awesome advice 

...my body seems to  gain above 1000 cals always has .pitfall of being a yo yo dieter previously and throwing my metabolism too many curve balls . 

Welcome 

Welcome,  Darla!!

im sorry to hear that you're struggling. I'm just about a year out, and I'm maintaining at 1,200-1,500 calories per day. Can you post a sample diet of what you eat each day? It might help with any advice we could give you. You've found a great place for support...let us help!