ktallon

Checking in and questions

Hello all it's been a little while since I've been on. Just wanted to check in and update. Its been slightly crazy my way. With going back to work and finally my son and i will be moving back into our own place the first weekend in june. Super excited to finally have a place to call home again. My son is getting ready to graduate kindergarten (yes proud mommy moment) and gets to move onto 1st grade. I have not weighed myself lately but the inches are definitely coming off. Now on to the questions. So is it normal at almost 5 months out to still only be able to eat 2oz of food? I feel like if i dont do at least 2 protein shakes a day i would not even come halfway close to hitting my protein goals. I figured by now i would be able to only do one shake and rely more on protein from foods. Also for the last week i have been getting this intense pain in my back and under my ribcage. Sometimes its so intense i get nauseous/throw up. I have an appointment with my pcp Friday but wanted to see what your thoughts were in the mean time or if anyone else has experienced this. I have been reading dr google to much and everything i read says ulcer. Hoping that is not the case as i have been doing so well. Got my blood work back everything was perfect except my iron was almost non existent and my vitamin d was low. So they upped both of those. I hope you all are doing well and i also hope to be able to be around more soon once things settle down after my move.

Good to see you again, kt! That pain sounds an awful lot like your gallbladder. Do you still have yours? If you are at the point that you are throwing up during the attacks, that may be worth a trip to the ER. It could be very serious.

@Readytobeme no i don't have a gallbladder mine was taken years ago. Thats why im not sure what it could be.

The pain question I'll leave for a medical professional as it could be any number of things. As for volume you can eat, that could be quite normal after a revision. Often at revision the pouch, by necessity, needs to be made smaller than they do in a virgin WLS....I know that was definitely the case with mine. Unless they also make the opening into the intestine larger to compensate, then the amount of food you can tolerate at one time will be smaller. I find that if my protien is dense then I need to spend more time eating (30-40 minutes generally), to be able to get in often only about 3 oz. It really depends on the protien and I'm a year out now.

Congrats by the way on moving into your own home again....life is definitely moving in the right direction for you these days.

Glad to se you back here, and so delighted to hear that you’ll be moving into your own place soon! Congrats on your proud mommy moment as well :) 

As for the pain, I think at least a phone call to your team is in order. They should be able to advise you about whether it’s an ER situation. Sounds very unpleasant. 

I think you shouldn’t worry about having to drink multiple shakes per day for now. Your poor pouch has been through the wringer. Whatever it takes to get your protein in. Are you eating lots of small meals? That might help as well. If it’s dense protein, taking a bit longer to eat may be helpful, as @Aussie Bear mentioned. 

@Jen581791 i eat at least 3 small meals and then usually my 2 shakes i am reaching my protein goals so i have continued with that pattern i just figured by now i would be relying more on food although i have no interest so that could play a part too

30 minutes ago, ktallon said:

@Jen581791 i eat at least 3 small meals and then usually my 2 shakes i am reaching my protein goals so i have continued with that pattern i just figured by now i would be relying more on food although i have no interest so that could play a part too

Glad you're reaching your protein goals. 

If you're having a hard time with dense proteins, egg salad is a great way to get in a bunch of protein if you tolerate eggs (I do sometimes and I don't sometimes, but it's easier with egg salad). You can make it with greek yogurt or with mayo or light mayo, but the yogurt will give you a bit more protein. Cheap, easy, fast, and smooshy so it usually goes in the pouch OK. 

It took forever to get 2 oz of dense protein in.  Some days I can barely get 3 oz down.  But I don’t push it and I do have a protein shake a day still (I can’t choke breakfast down).  And do call the surgeon and tell them you don’t have gall bladder..

glad things are getting back to normal..

18 hours ago, ktallon said:

Hello all it's been a little while since I've been on. Just wanted to check in and update. Its been slightly crazy my way. With going back to work and finally my son and i will be moving back into our own place the first weekend in june. Super excited to finally have a place to call home again. My son is getting ready to graduate kindergarten (yes proud mommy moment) and gets to move onto 1st grade. I have not weighed myself lately but the inches are definitely coming off. Now on to the questions. So is it normal at almost 5 months out to still only be able to eat 2oz of food? I feel like if i dont do at least 2 protein shakes a day i would not even come halfway close to hitting my protein goals. I figured by now i would be able to only do one shake and rely more on protein from foods. Also for the last week i have been getting this intense pain in my back and under my ribcage. Sometimes its so intense i get nauseous/throw up. I have an appointment with my pcp Friday but wanted to see what your thoughts were in the mean time or if anyone else has experienced this. I have been reading dr google to much and everything i read says ulcer. Hoping that is not the case as i have been doing so well. Got my blood work back everything was perfect except my iron was almost non existent and my vitamin d was low. So they upped both of those. I hope you all are doing well and i also hope to be able to be around more soon once things settle down after my move.

Sounds like an ulcer. If it has been bleeding then that might explain why your iron is so low, since the lost blood depletes you of iron. 

Congrats on getting your own place again!

Great news on your June move into a new place!  :)

I have not had post surgery pains, so I can't be of much help to you on determining the cause of your intense pain.  Hopefully, it is not caused by anything serious as you have already been through so very much.  As always, our best wishes and prayers are with you.

Agree with @Jen581791 on the call to your doctor and on the shakes. Do what you need to do and get your protein in; it’s still early days since all your major problems; maybe it will just take time before you see/feel bigger differences in what you can eat.

So happy to hear some positive news from you. You’ve been through so much and I truly hope you’ll be putting that period behind you and getting your life going again. Thinking of you!

@ktallon...how are you doing? I've been thinking of you, and hoping things are improving. Hugs love and prayers to you, hun!!

Hi @Nana Trish i am doing well thank you just been preparing for my move next week. I went and seen my surgeon he started me back on carafate and protonix and i have an endoscopy scheduled in two weeks to see if i have an ulcer they will also do an overstitch to fix it if there is one. My pain has improved since being back on acid reflux meds. Other than that little minor issue i am doing well. I will be glad when my move is over as it has been consuming time unfortunately.

Glad to hear that you are feeling at least some better, ktallon. I do hope that they get to the bottom of your current issues quickly. You have been through so much already.

I actually had started drinking about 1 cup per week of half caff coffee. I was just reading today that caffeine can stimulate H. Pylori and that is how it can contribute to ulcers. I think that I am going to stick with just decaf from now on.

Good luck with the move and please keep us posted when you are able to. I know that you and your son both must be very excited to get back into your own place.

My 1st thought was gallbladder too. I had mine removed 1year post op. Definately contact your Doc. Another common post op condition that can cause pain like you describe is an ulcer. Very easy treatment plan. I am 13 years post op... Gastric Bypass. I eat fine now, everything is good. But it did takes many years. It is normal to only be able to eat tiny bits... protein us FOR SURE the most necessary... Do your drinks, cottage cheese, what ever suits your fancy.