Jenn42606

Quit smoking and now I'm not sleeping. Help.

Recommended Posts

Hello a quick little info about me. I'm 32 and in the process of having VSG surgery. I quit smoking and now I'm having a hard time sleeping. The last 2 nights I have probably had a total of 4 hours of sleep. My emotions are going crazy and I just want to smoke. I quit cold turkey with no patches or anything ( I've smoked for almost 20 years ) and my boyfriend still smokes just not as much. I just want to sleep and I can't so I get frustrated and then I cry. What is going on? Is this really worth it? I don't even have a surgery date but I'm on the 6 month program and that 6 months ends this month but I'm told that the Dr. Is already booked for June and I may not have surgery until July maybe even August?  Please help. Thank you......Jenn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to Thinner Times Jenn!

Try one of the over-the-counter sleep aids.  I can recommend Kirkland Sleep Aid but there are others worth trying - check out Walmart or Walgreens:  Unisom Sleep Tabs, Equate Sleep Aid, Equate Maximum Strength Nighttime Sleep Aid etc. etc.

Don't give in though, that'll just make it more difficult the next time you try to quit.

There's a lot riding on this so keep focussed on your goal.  This might help:  Every Try Counts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jenn42606 said:

Hello a quick little info about me. I'm 32 and in the process of having VSG surgery. I quit smoking and now I'm having a hard time sleeping. The last 2 nights I have probably had a total of 4 hours of sleep. My emotions are going crazy and I just want to smoke. I quit cold turkey with no patches or anything ( I've smoked for almost 20 years ) and my boyfriend still smokes just not as much. I just want to sleep and I can't so I get frustrated and then I cry. What is going on? Is this really worth it? I don't even have a surgery date but I'm on the 6 month program and that 6 months ends this month but I'm told that the Dr. Is already booked for June and I may not have surgery until July maybe even August?  Please help. Thank you......Jenn

Quitting smoking sucks. I did it cold turkey and the first few days were hell. Just focus on getting through moment to moment and don't worry about later today, tomorrow, next month. Yes, it is worth it to quit smoking and get a sleeve. Hang in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry you're struggling but it will be so worth it in the end.  Some of the things I've used with patients who are quitting are cinnamon toothpicks, cinnamon gum, fidget cubes, rubberbands...these things keep your hands or mouth busy.  Deep breathing also helps; taking a deep breath in and holding it similarly to taking a drag on cigarette can aid relaxation.

As to the sleep, it might be worth it to try a short term OTC sleep aid.  In addition, you can try all the usual "sleep hygiene" tactics such as keeping a set schedule, warm bath or shower, relaxing scents such as lavender, etc.  

If your BF is still smoking in the house/car/around  you, you might consider asking him to not do that while you're going through this tough stretch.  I had to do that when I quit (27 years ago) and my husband gladly moved it outside.  Also because I was pregnant with our  first child so he was protecting us as well, but still it sure made it easier.

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used a non nicotine vapor for the first month and that really helped.  It also helped knowing that losing the weight was more important than smoking nasty cigs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2018 at 11:12 AM, Jenn42606 said:

Hello a quick little info about me. I'm 32 and in the process of having VSG surgery. I quit smoking and now I'm having a hard time sleeping. The last 2 nights I have probably had a total of 4 hours of sleep. My emotions are going crazy and I just want to smoke. I quit cold turkey with no patches or anything ( I've smoked for almost 20 years ) and my boyfriend still smokes just not as much. I just want to sleep and I can't so I get frustrated and then I cry. What is going on? Is this really worth it? I don't even have a surgery date but I'm on the 6 month program and that 6 months ends this month but I'm told that the Dr. Is already booked for June and I may not have surgery until July maybe even August?  Please help. Thank you......Jenn

Cigarettes have thousands of chemicals in them including MAIO's. Sadly you are having to withdraw off much more than just nicotine. This is why your emotions are all over the place.

You may want to try a low dose melatonin. That should help as you have had a big drop in it since quitting. Hang in there because quitting smoking will be so worth it. Give yourself a few weeks and you will be feeling better each day. Not to even mention being able to taste and smell so much better.

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I slept last night.....yay! I had taken zzzquill. I just took melatonin and am hoping it works. My boyfriend quit smoking today and I got my truck detailed today so the smell is gone. Yay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good on getting some sleep Jenn - that alone will make you feel a whole lot better and I'm glad that your boyfriend is joining you in giving up the ciggies - that will make things a whole lot easier.

AND think about just how much money you guys are saving.  I just looked up the average price of a pack in WA.  $9.00!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cinwa said:

Good on getting some sleep Jenn - that alone will make you feel a whole lot better and I'm glad that your boyfriend is joining you in giving up the ciggies - that will make things a whole lot easier.

AND think about just how much money you guys are saving.  I just looked up the average price of a pack in WA.  $9.00!

So even though I took melatonin last night it didn't work. I ended up getting out of bed at 1240am and taking some zzzquill and still couldn't sleep. This is driving me insane! I'm a big ball of emotions. Ugh! I'm so tired! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jenn42606 said:

So even though I took melatonin last night it didn't work. I ended up getting out of bed at 1240am and taking some zzzquill and still couldn't sleep. This is driving me insane! I'm a big ball of emotions. Ugh! I'm so tired! 

Stick with it Jen.  From what I've read, withdrawal symptoms (insomnia being one of them) can last from a few days to two weeks but hang in there - it'll be over soon.

YOU CAN DO THIS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Jenn42606 said:

So even though I took melatonin last night it didn't work. I ended up getting out of bed at 1240am and taking some zzzquill and still couldn't sleep. This is driving me insane! I'm a big ball of emotions. Ugh! I'm so tired! 

I am so sorry that you are going through these horrible withdrawal symptoms. Please hang in there as they will go away. You may have to deal with it for a few weeks but will be SO worth it in the end.

Great news that your BF is quitting with you! As long as you don't kill each other in the process (lol) you will both be so much better off in the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stick with it - it will get better and quitting smoking will add years to your life.  We are here to support you. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want sleep that's all. Otherwise I'm good. I have no cravings for cigarettes ( although if I had smoked I may get some sleep) that's what I think. I will NOT smoke but I just want some sleep. I'm so tired. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jenn42606 said:

I just want sleep that's all. Otherwise I'm good. I have no cravings for cigarettes ( although if I had smoked I may get some sleep) that's what I think. I will NOT smoke but I just want some sleep. I'm so tired. 

I hear you. I will admit that I have never had trouble sleeping. I have more trouble staying awake.

When I quit smoking 8 years ago after a 35 year old habit, I did use e-cigs with nicotine. Then I worked my way down to zero nicotine. It really helped to soothe the hand to mouth habit part of smoking. So, I did withdrawal off many of the other nasty chemicals in cigs. Just kept using nicotine until the worst part was over.

If you are no longer craving cigs, the other side affects should get to be less by the day. You can definitely do this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have managed to get 2 nights of sleep the last 2 nights. Last night was without a sleep aid. Yay! I'm back to myself again. I hated feeling that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jenn42606 said:

I have managed to get 2 nights of sleep the last 2 nights. Last night was without a sleep aid. Yay! I'm back to myself again. I hated feeling that way. 

Great news!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That excellent news Jenn but stay focussed.  You're over the worst now and can look forward to a healthier (and richer) smoke free future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Jenn42606 said:

I have managed to get 2 nights of sleep the last 2 nights. Last night was without a sleep aid. Yay! I'm back to myself again. I hated feeling that way. 

Takes a while to get regulated again after quitting. Good your BF has quit too. People in my family have quit but then gone back to smoking when the others in the house continued to smoke. When everyone quit -> success. 

My wife quit over 30 years ago. She still has dreams of smoking every once in a while, that's how deep the habit is; but she hasn't taken it back up. Very hard to do and lots of kudos to you (and your BF) for doing this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now