Tonight I had my first experience with a food attack. I'm on day 3 of solid meat. I measured out 3 oz of pork tenderloin exactly as I did on Monday and Tuesday. I cut it into 16 bites. I eat slowly, chewing 40-50 times per bite. I didn't drink for 30 min prior. I only ate about halve in 20 minutes when the pain started. I stopped eating. The pain grew.. I was at work and didn't know what to do. I was hoping to be able to throw up but no luck. The pain grew. I had a hard time walking and then sitting hurt also. This went on for an hour and a half. I thought I felt OK and sipped water, the pain came back????? It's has now been four hours and I'm having tea. So far no problem. What causes this???

I'm so sorry that happened! It's an awful feeling. Sometimes your stomach just says "no way" or "too soon". Chewing papaya enzymes when this happens can really help, so be sure to get yourself some. 

Edited by Gretta

Either bites were too big or (more likely) the volume was too big. that is the short answer. You were too full. the bigger answer:

Being CLEARED to try solid meat does not mean you are READY to eat solid meat. Your innards are still healing and not used to having to digest solids. Your surgery was only a month ago. I could not eat reliably eat steak at 4 months, yet two nights ago ate delicious but shoe-leather tough goat (am in Kenya). 

In the early days, it's probably best to go really really slowly. Start with a half ounce in tiny bites. If that's OK after 15 minutes, do another half ounce. I think 3 oz of dense protein at a month out might have killed me! 

Your stomach nerves aren't sending you signals in the way you're used to receiving them, so by the time you know something is wrong, it's too late :( 

Life is a lot easier now at a year+ out, but to be honest, I lost my lunch at work today. We had an end of the year potluck, and I chose sensible options: raw veggies and hummus, some spicy chickpeas, a little piece of egg veggie tart (no crust) and a bit of the salad I brought (which is the same salad I eat every day, so no playing the lottery there). 

Eggs are always hard for me. Raw veggies are sometimes hard for me. Add those two together, and even with my courageously thorough chewing, I found myself in discomfort, then pain, then my mouth started watering a bunch, and my nose started running, and I knew it was time to run very very quickly to the bathroom. I made it in time, and took a moment to reflect on my hit-or-miss potluck luck. Sometimes things just don't agree with me. At least I know when it's going to happen and can make it somewhere inconspicuous in time. 

Checking in to see how you're doing this morning Anita.

Solid meat can be difficult on a new pouch and as tender as it was, maybe the pork needed some gravy/sauce to help it on it's way.  At your stage, (#4 on my programme), we were cleared for well cooked chunky meat soups (drained of most of the broth), ground meats/shredded chicken and pork like chili.

If you're new tummy is still a little sensitive today, go back to pureed foods and see what you're like tomorrow.

3 ounces is a lot!  It took forever before I could get 2 ounces down (months).  I still struggle with 3-4 ounces at times.  I use papaya enzymes, for me they often help.  

Just chiming in to agree with everyone here... the stages are guidelines, and our bellies sometimes need more time to catch up.  I'm in month 8 now, and still have not even tried pork, which is notoriously easy to cook too dry.  I have tried steak... but just one bite, last month, was enough to know it was too soon. 

At this point I can eat meat, but only if it's ground or if it's super tender.  I can eat mongolian beef at my favorite chinese restaurant, because it's melt-in-your-mouth soft and cut into really small pieces as part of the dish.  I can eat chicken tikka masala because it's stewed and soooo soft.  I can eat chicken salad because it's shredded and doused in mayo. 

Even now I can't imagine trying to eat 3 oz of pork at a sitting... I still rely on soft soft soft foods.  Your body is probably just telling you to take it much more slowly. 

I hope you feel better soon!!!

Thanks for all the advice. I did eat 3 oz both Monday and Tues night but Wednesday didn't go well. I feel fine today although I slept for nine and a half hours!! That attack took a lot out of me. No more pork tenderloin for a while! Today will be a yougart, cottage cheese and I'm going to try cod for dinner.

if I don't eat three ounces of meat I'll never meet my protein goal. The premiere shakes are not tasting right to me. 

Anita - you should try to find a protein drink that you can tolerate or try drinking milk (around 8g protein per cup (8 fl oz).  DaVinci or Torani do some good sugar free syrups to give it some flavour and it goes towards your fluid intake too.

Following on to what @cinwa suggested, you can also get Fairlife milk - even higher in protein per cup! 

Also, not all meats are created equal.  Instead of pork, you could try some chicken (dark meat) or ground beef/turkey, or some tuna with mayo... things that are either already ground up/shredded or that are stewed, or just naturally soft.  Pork, steak, dry (white meat) chicken... these are probably too advanced for your stomach at this point.