Foodiegirl

1 week until surgery, nervous

Even though I am 222 pounds, i am not having the surgery for weight loss, however that is a great benefit. The reason my doctor suggested it is because I have severe GERD. I had the gastric sleeve about 6 years ago. I did loose weight but gained a lot back. I am hoping with the bypass I have better success with even smaller stomach and more severe restrictions to food. I am scared of the bends. I already eat small portions, but I eat small portions of the wrong foods. I live in New Orleans and the food is fantastic here and I am a chocolate lover. I have been told I may be able to eat some sugar or fat foods in the future but only a bite or two without suffer with the bends. A bite or two I enough for me to just know I can experience those foods. I have been trying to eat all my favorite foods before. Since I can't eat much it has been limiting. I have to do liquid diet for a week before surgery. 

Welcome to Thinner Times Foodiegirl!

Welcome!

By the “bends” I assume that you mean what most of us here call “dumping.” The extent to which people dump after a gastric bypass varries greatly.

For example, I dump very rarely and only after I do something stupid like eating a bowl of ice cream (or another high sugar and high fat liquid).  A bite of two of ice cream does not bother me. I can eat almost anything else without adverse effects, although I chose not to eat deep fried foods as they sometimes make me feel a bit queasy.  Also, note that some people have adverse reactions (or addiction) to alcohol after gastric bypass surgery  

I have a little chocolate every day, as I am at my goal weight and for me a life without chocolate is simply unacceptable. 

For people with type 2 diabetes (not me), a gastric bypass is highly likely to put the condition into total remission, although avoiding high carb foods remains advisable. 

I have never regretted having my gastric bypass.

We are here to support you. 

Welcome @Foodiegirl. I hope RNY solves your GERD problem!

Try not to get the idea that dumping will keep you away from all foods with fat and sugar - you may or may not be one of the people who suffers from dumping, but ultimately it's YOU who keeps yourself in line with the post-op diet, rather than your stomach :) Dumping isn't a big problem for me, so I find I have to actively police my food intake now that I know I can't count on my stomach to do that for me. 

New Orleans does indeed have some lovely food, which you'll be able to eat in moderation once your stomach heals.

On 5/2/2018 at 11:54 PM, Foodiegirl said:

Even though I am 222 pounds, i am not having the surgery for weight loss, however that is a great benefit. The reason my doctor suggested it is because I have severe GERD. I had the gastric sleeve about 6 years ago. I did loose weight but gained a lot back. I am hoping with the bypass I have better success with even smaller stomach and more severe restrictions to food. I am scared of the bends. I already eat small portions, but I eat small portions of the wrong foods. I live in New Orleans and the food is fantastic here and I am a chocolate lover. I have been told I may be able to eat some sugar or fat foods in the future but only a bite or two without suffer with the bends. A bite or two I enough for me to just know I can experience those foods. I have been trying to eat all my favorite foods before. Since I can't eat much it has been limiting. I have to do liquid diet for a week before surgery. 

Foodiegirl, I had a sleeve so have the same volume restriction you have. I find it liberating to be able to eat favorite foods ... but just the bite, and not more. the quality of food in New Orleans is so much higher than anywhere else in the US! Good luck and post here, we are here to support you!

Good luck and welcome