rds

Practically back to where I started

I started at 350 about 2 1/2 years ago, quickly lost to 195. I was doing great, nearly perfect for the first year and a half, and actually felt completely satisfied with my weight at 195, although I was technically still overweight (I’m 5’8” so I think my height helped). 

I’m now back up to 270. I take full responsibility for my weight regain as I haven’t been following any semblance of healthy eating or exercise for the past year but just to give you an idea of what happened... I started having difficulties in my relationship (partially because of the weight loss, but other issues too) and as a result I went through a difficult break up (we lived together so I also had to find a new roommate, ick), both of my grandmothers, whom I was close to, passed away, and I entered a very rocky, abusive relationship with a coworker, all in a period of about 5 months. There were some underlying mental health issues there too that reared their head. I started drinking heavily and going out constantly - binge drinking 3-5 nights a week, sleeping for long stretches of time (sometimes being in bed for up to 24 hours) because I was depressed and/or hungover, and then eating junk food to either “cure” my hangover or because I hadn’t been responsible enough to get any groceries. I regained about 70 pounds very quickly - during 6 months - which is insane but not surprising given how I was living. 

I entered therapy for my substance abuse issues and although I’ve managed to drastically cut down on my drinking. I haven’t had a drink in weeks and the last time I did I had a single beer. Although I’m proud of myself for entering therapy and tackling my binge drinking, I’m also incredibly mad at myself for how much I’ve gained back. I wasn’t a drinker before surgery and never thought I’d be the patient they became one after, but .. here I am. 

In addition to curtailing my drinking I also started a new job, and finished grad school .. both things that I felt were vital to getting back to a healthier place. That said, because I’ve been tackling those things as well as trying to get to a better place emotionally I haven’t frankly had the motivation or energy to focus again on healthy eating and exercising, plus I’m out of my honeymoon period so it’s much more difficult now. I feel like I have so many things to work on and my weight was lower on the list because I was on the verge of getting fired and/or drinking myself to death. 

I feel at a total loss to get started on taking this weight off again. When I see myself in the mirror I just want to cry. I felt so desperately unattractive and disappointed in myself. Any and all suggestions appreciated, especially from those that have faced regain.

Oh, deep sympathy. 

One foot in front of the other. Reset your pouch - it works - am invoking @cinwa and @Res Ipsa as I think they have the URL close at hand, and consider tossing all your carbos out of the house and upping your protein. 

Hoping you are feeling better soon and yes you have the knowledge and skills to lose. Your stomach does NOT stretch out after surgery and you can do this. Best wishes....

I don't have any wisdom to offer you but I do offer my sympathy and understanding. I am not far out from surgery so have not had to deal with regain. I can see how it could happen and it is one of my worst fears.

Thank you for sharing your story with us. Hopefully we will be able to support each other through this journey.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear you've been having a rough time, but really really glad that you've put your foot down and decided to turn things around. I agree that taking care of drinking issues is a number one priority. Good for you for making that decision. 

It sounds like you know just what to do and just need to be doing it. We're here to support you! :) 

I am very sorry for what you have gone through, but now is the time to put all of this behind you and dedicate yourself to losing the extra weight.  The really great news is that you still have your gastric bypass, which is a very powerful lifelong weight loss tool built into your body.  

I echo the advice above.  You should get the unhealthy food out of your house now, stay away from alcohol (which can be highly addictive after weight loss surgery), and begin the 5 day pouch test which will launch you into weight loss and into eating a healthy diet:

http://www.5daypouchtest.com/plan/theplan.html

After that you need to follow your original post op diet plan, drink lots of water or no calorie liquids, stay away from carbonation, eat lots of lean protein and few carbs, take your vitamins and calcium every day, and lead an active lifestyle (or work out at the gym).  You should lose 10 (or more) pounds each month and this will allow you to lose your extra weight and reach your goal weight.  

If you need a post op diet plan, I suggest that you Google this: Tufts guide for eating after gastric bypass surgery

You can do it and we are here to support you.

I'm sorry you've been through a bad patch rds but today is a new day. 

You still have a pouch and it'll still work for you but you need to take the reigns and the 5 Day Pouch Test (link Res Ipsa gives) is the best place to start.

I'm so sorry you've had to go through so much! You are here, though, and that's what's important. I wanted to comment on the danger of the alcohol. I picked up a drinking habit a few years ago (I'm almost 7 years out), not severe, but perhaps 1-2 hard ciders a day, or else a glass of wine. Eventually I started having a lot of nausea, and an endoscopy showed that I had two ulcers at the base of my pouch. The doctor said that I had to stop drinking, completely, and that if I didn't I would probably end up needing additional surgery to repair holes in the join of the pouch to the intestine. I stopped drinking for a couple of months, tried a glass of wine a week, got sick. Stopped drinking for six months, tried a glass of wine now and then, got sick. Finally I understood that this was a life long commitment, and I've not had a drink in about 2 years. I ask for "mocktails" in restaurants and bars, and look up recipes for them, bartenders can sometimes be quite creative and there are lots of really tasty alternatives you can come up with using seltzer water and various herbs, juices, etc, depending on what you can tolerate. 

We made a choice to change our lives, and we just have to remember to use the tool, respect the restrictions, and count our blessings. You can do this!!!!

Judy

I agree, get the junk out of the house.  Fill it with protein rich snacks and for.  Right now we are on vacation and my snack is string cheese.  Jerky is good..if there’s no time for cooking there’s rotisserie chicken, lunchmeat and string cheese roll ups, maybe a light salad..

but do try the 5 day pouch test and don’t bring more carbs into the house..it’s nice out start out going for a walk or bike ride for exercise..  baby steps..

I feel your pain,I’m also dealing with regain and my honeymoon period is over. I’ve put on about 25 lbs since last year and I can’t get rid of it due to my fault I eat and drink for the most part anything I want. I think the only reason I haven’t gained more is because I go to the gym and also lift heavy and very active but I need to stop this before I lose control I’m going to try the 5 day pouch reset you should too .keep me posted good luck