.:princesszelda:.

Bowel Movements after Duodenal Switch

I had the biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch bariatric surgery on February 22nd. This maybe TMI (too much information), but I had a couple of questions. Before I go any further, my surgeon explained the procedure and the effects and everything about it before the surgery. I am only asking these questions as it will help me feel better and will also tell me that I'm not alone in this.

My questions:

• After surgery, did the color of bowel movements change? 
    • Before surgery, my bowel movements were the normal brown color, but after surgery, there is still some brown, but my bowel movements are pretty much 99.9% gray/clay/yellow/orange color.
  • Did you find that bowel movements were "smellier" after surgery?

I am thinking that the bowel movement color could be caused by malabsorption since a big portion of the small intestine that is responsible for absorption is bypassed.

It's my understanding that pale/white colored stool is related a lack of bile but either way something like that is always worth running by your surgeon. 

4 hours ago, .:princesszelda:. said:

My questions:

• After surgery, did the color of bowel movements change? 
    • Before surgery, my bowel movements were the normal brown color, but after surgery, there is still some brown, but my bowel movements are pretty much 99.9% gray/clay/yellow/orange color.
  • Did you find that bowel movements were "smellier" after surgery?

From my research prior to my revision, what you are describing is completely normal after DS. Many say it is the unsociable downside of choosing DS.  While I had bypass, I can definitely say that my BMs have changed and are generally much lighter than they used to be, and often quite loose and urgent. At least for me anyway, it's still usually only a once a day occurrence and I can usually get it over and done with before breakfast with the help of some hot lemon water.

The answer to your questions is yes and yes. You might also see yellow or orange liquid on occasion. 

Welcome to the Dark Side.

I sent you a PM as well. 

Edited by AAA