.:princesszelda:.

Rewiring of brain

Hey everyone,

There is something that has been on my mind for awhile and I was wondering if there are any others that are thinking/wondering the same thing as well. 

Ever since I had surgery, I have noticed that my thought process and the way I look at food has completely changed. For example, before surgery, I could eat two cups of spaghetti and meatballs without no problems and I would still be hungry afterwards. I would also, in this example, view that portion as small. Now after surgery (before I continue, I just want to make it clear that I have not had a bite of pasta in a couple months and I am just using pasta as an example), if I were to look at this same exact bowl that contains 2 cups of pasta, I would think that it is way too much and if I were to eat it, I would probably only be able to eat a quarter of it. What I am trying to say is that the way I looked at food now is drastically different. The amount of food I eat now would be considered a snack before surgery. Sometimes during dinner, I would look over at my dad's plate of food and I think that is way too much food. Before surgery and using this same scenario, I would think that isn't enough food. 

I think it is crazy how our minds change after surgery. After surgery, I eat at most 4 to 6 oz of food at a time and I would take 30 minutes to eat and if I didn't finish, I would save the rest for later. Before surgery, those 4 to 6 oz of food would be gone in 5 to 10 minutes. 

So, my question or questions for everyone is if their thought processes and/or their view of food has changed drastically.

Oh, big time. My poor husband (who does a lot of the cooking) is still getting the hang of serving the right portion sizes for me, too. He brought me a normal human amount of chicken curry and cauliflower rice (roughly 1.5 cups total) for dinner and I could only eat about a third of it. I told him when he handed it to me that there was no way I could eat all that! He ends up being a garbage disposal for me and eats the rest of my food all the time. Haha! It's a good thing I'm eating healthier now or he'd be putting on a lot of weight! 

I have also found myself being kind of judgey about how much other people eat and I have to watch that. I have to remember that for me, a normal serving of food looks like WAY too much, so I don't need to worry about how much others are eating. I watched a coworker eat two big slices of pizza the other day and I was in awe. Like, for starters, if I ate that crust I'd be hurting, but it's almost impressive to me that she was capable of eating two whole slices of pizza. Haha! Pre-Surgery I could have eaten at least that much, if not more, very quickly. 

I also have no desire to eat fried foods or sugary desserts anymore. None. That may change eventually, I'm only 5 months out, but right now I know it would be bad news and that's enough of a deterrent that I don't even want to try. 

But I guess that's why we do this, right? 

Mine was the same way for the first 2-3 months but I am not as much that same way at almost 6 months.  I still am weird about portion sizes and I in fact, sometimes when I prepare my husband's meals, I make them as small as mine!  I am just used to tiny bowls/plates and very little portions and forget everyone else isn't...until I see someone eating a huge portion and it nearly nauseates me.  However, that being said, it has changed a bit now, but I am guessing it is bc I am used to it all now, so I no longer gasp at portion sizes, I am just thankful I am not "there" any more! :) (but yes, my mind did feel rewired....however, I am craving foods more now so I am having to work on that and get back to my "rewiring")

Oh I'm really judgey these days about other people's portion sizes....I really can't help it and of course I say nothing. I feel sick just looking at the amount some people eat...let alone what they eat. I almost had to leave the table a few nights ago after watching a seriously obese person dish up a huge portion of food, scoff it down and then serve themselves another equally large serving. The other person at the table, and me, then gave ourselves what probably amounted to a couple of tablespoons extra (we both had very small serves initially), and once we'd done that, back went person one to finish off the remains. I thought the meal was over, so excused myself from the table. Turned out desert was yet to come, and if that person could have stacked more ice-cream in the bowl than he did....well I'm sure he would have. The voice in my head just said no wonder he has type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea.

My portion sizes have tremendously. decreased. Prior to surgery, I could eat three cups of pasta out of my trusty 10 cup Pyrex bowl and look for more food. Now the idea of pasta leaves me cold. I won’t lie, my appetite has come back after a year postop. However, I am satisfied with snacking on a banana and a tablespoon of sunflower butter. There is no way I could fit the same amount of food that I ate one year ago. 

I recently hurt my stomach and was on a liquid diet for almost a month. I went to a party and my favorite pizza was served for dinner. Think artisanal flatbread pizza with quality I grew. FL (Fat Lynda) would have drooled and pouted over the lack of pizza. TL (Thin Lynda) was a bit disappointed that I couldn’t have a bite but quickly forgot that she was disappointed. WLS does a number on your head. A number which I’m glad to see reflected in my health and on the scale. 

Edited by NerdyToothpick

I’m 5 years out.  The first couple of years it was bad.  Don’t go to a buffet with “normal” people, lol.  I had a hard time keeping my jaw dropping to the floor with the heaping plates.  It’s gotten better.  I eat on a dessert plate and use custard cups to make it look more normal.  I have opened my mouth and hurt hubby’s feelings when I’ve told him “my God that is a lot of food”.  (He’s normal sized).  One of my co workers come in every morning with a jumbo muffin.  She obese.  My head screams that’s a daily supply of fat and 600 calories.  Many times I just want to ask her if she knows what she’s doing to her body?  But it’s easier to keep my mouth shut.  No one knew me fat and no one knows I had surgery.  

I was just attempting to talk to a non-WLS friend about this phenomenon the other day, and of course she just didn't. get. it. I'm having to feed my mom and my aunt this week when they come into town (we're all going to Italy together this weekend), and I have been really struggling to figure out how much food to make for them. How much food is the right amount of food for a person with a normal stomach anyway? I'm really struggling to figure it out. If I make too much we can just freeze the rest, but what if I make too little? That's my worry. 

I also see commercials for chain restaurants on TV and I look at the plates of food and think to myself "OH MY GOD a person cannot possibly eat that much!" But of course, they can (whether they should or not is another question), and I used to eat that much myself. If not more. 

I went to dinner with family at an Italian restaurant last night. They had the specials listed with a lunch price and serving size that didn't come with soup or salad. I was so excited! I tried the sausage and ravioli and it was delicious. I ate the few I wanted to satisfy my craving and my husband finished it. I wish more places would do something like that! It makes the amount I eat seem more normal and I'm not spending twice as much on food I won't eat. I'm over 2 years out so ravioli is occasionally on my treat list and this was great for me.

I travelled for work most of this month and my coworkers commented on how little I eat...and I marveled at how much they consumed. It was hard to not take all my leftovers and seemed so wasteful...

Its crazy to look at other peoples plates and think that I use to eat that much. My meals now would also have been considered a snack 9 months ago. My eyes and head  and stomach are finally working together now too, lol.

8 hours ago, kristinwitha_k said:

I have been really struggling to figure out how much food to make for them. How much food is the right amount of food for a person with a normal stomach anyway? I'm really struggling to figure it out. If I make too much we can just freeze the rest, but what if I make too little? That's my worry.

I'm in the habit now of actually using healthy portion sizes when feeding others....regardless how much they usually eat. So that's a standard dinner plate with 125g protien, 1/4 of plate with carbs and 1/2 plate of veggies. No heaps of anything on the plates. If they don't like it then they can head to the nearest takeaway and top up there out of my sight.

10 hours ago, kristinwitha_k said:

I was just attempting to talk to a non-WLS friend about this phenomenon the other day, and of course she just didn't. get. it. I'm having to feed my mom and my aunt this week when they come into town (we're all going to Italy together this weekend), and I have been really struggling to figure out how much food to make for them. How much food is the right amount of food for a person with a normal stomach anyway? I'm really struggling to figure it out. If I make too much we can just freeze the rest, but what if I make too little? That's my worry. 

I also see commercials for chain restaurants on TV and I look at the plates of food and think to myself "OH MY GOD a person cannot possibly eat that much!" But of course, they can (whether they should or not is another question), and I used to eat that much myself. If not more. 

@kristinwitha_k Olive Garden ads pop up on Hulu all the time and the portions make me want to hurl. 

PS: Yay for Italy!!!

Edited by NerdyToothpick

20 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

I'm in the habit now of actually using healthy portion sizes when feeding others

Me too. When we have people over, my husband does the cooking and I do the plating. I serve smaller portions and tell people they can have 2nds, 3rds, 4ths or as many additional servings as they want. I'd rather them control their food intake than have me over serve them and then they feel obligated to eat it. Occasionally if someone has a huge plate of food and they see my small plate, they will either comment on how little I eat or become embarrassed about how much they are going to eat. Either topic is not one I'm willing to entertain so when we all start with somewhat of the same amount, no one really notices who keeps going back for more and who doesn't.  

Recently I was shopping for a party. I bought several bags of tortilla chips and 3 or 4 jars of salsa. As I was going through the checkout I thought about how pre-op and in the times when my food addiction was totally in control I would eat that many bags of chips and jars of salsa in a week! I still salsa - I probably go through 1 - 2 jars a month. But I bet I haven't eaten the equivalent of two bags of tortilla chips in the last 4 years. 

I'm still having trouble putting little enough on my own plate. I think I've got it right and it's still too much.

Since my surgery I eat all of my meals on small plates (or small bowls) as I find that makes portion control much easier.  As I am the cook in my family, I almost always serve everyone else's meals on small plates or bowls as well.  In addition, when I go out to eat I almost always order off of the appetizer, side order, soup or small plate portions of the menu as these items tend to come on small plates or bowls.  On the rare occasions that someone serves me a meal on a normal sized dinner plate I feel like I am eating off of a platter!

12 hours ago, ubergirl said:

I'm still having trouble putting little enough on my own plate. I think I've got it right and it's still too much.

Some seem to get a handle on it pretty quickly but I haven't and it's been over 10 years since my WLS.  I still have to weigh/measure my meals.

21 hours ago, ubergirl said:

I find that what I can eat changes on a daily basis anyway. I often eat the same food day in and day out. The serves are pre-done and identical when they go into the freezer. Some days it seems not enough other days it's way too much....just depends....on what it depends I'm still not sure!!!!! Can never really win when it comes to knowing the serving size we might fit in. What we can learn though over time is what is a healthy and appropriate serving size for our stomachs. One of the hardest lessons will for most people be learning that it is okay to throw excess food in the trash.