RobynDilley

Post op 9 days SICK of shakes

Hi!  I'm new to this forum...   I'm 9 days post op from RNY and I am seriously SICK of shakes... litterally!  I'm supposed to be getting 60g of protein, but I can barely get 1shake down. I truly get ill trying to get it down. Anyone else have this issue, and what do you do? TIA 

Edited by RobynDilley

Have you tried the clear protein drinks like Isopure (my Walmart stocks them). 

They're a bit strong as is for me so I dilute them with water.  They come in 2 sizes, the small bottle contains 15g protein, the larger one 40g.

Fairlife milk. :) A cup has 80 calories and 13 grams of protein. 

I agree with cinwa. If you go for the Isopure you would only need to drink 1.5 of them per day to meet protein goals. Fairlife is good but it would take 5 just to get to goal.

I use Syntrax Nectar Chocolate Truffle with Fairlife milk. I use 1.5 scoops of powder and it gives me a 53 gram protein shake in just 8 ounces.

I also used the Unjury High Protein Chicken broth for the first few weeks. It gave me a break from regular cold shakes.

Hang in there. It is extremely important to get your protein in at this stage.

@RobynDilley

This may or may not work for you, noting you live in OK, but it was a real boon for me. I made fish stock - I got free or inexpensive fish skeletons and heads from local fishmongers - they would give me 10-15 lbs at a time when I asked for 5 lbs!! - and the concentrated fish stock has so much protein in it that is gels on its own at room temperature. I use salt water white fish like haddock, cod, snapper, striped bass, etc. You can use salmon and other more oily fish but it won't store as long. 

Easy to make - put some onions, celery, carrots into a large stockpot to flavor the stock with a little water for the next step; add the fish and steam the bones - they sweat protein - and after 15-20 minutes of steaming, cover fish in water and boil the heck out of it. Break up any chunks of fish meat as it cooks by stirring coarsely with a big metal  or wooden spoon. Strain the fish and vegetables out after maybe an hour, and then reduce the broth. It's delicious, fragrant, and great. This will last, if you pour it hot into glass containers 

[[]]

My family friends have gotten used to me making this and using it as the base for the BurgundyBoy household chowder (that's really spelled "chowda" around here) with fish, potatoes, sausage, bacon bits, coarse tomatoes, parsley, garlic, clams, steamers ... you get the picture. 

Hi @RobynDilley! I think we are using the same clinic because I think I've seen you on another group. :)

Broth is good - there's protein in it and it's easy to get down and it counts as fluids, too. I would sometimes put one scoop of unflavored Celebrate 20 in a cup of Fairlife milk - it wasn't enough to thicken it and I couldn't taste it, but it would get me 23 grams of protein without feeling like I was drinking another shake. I don't know if that will help, but it's an option. And hang in there. You're almost to soft foods! 

You can do it!  Try Premier Protein shakes (premixed and sold at Walgreens and Costco) especially chocolate flavor, greek non-fat yoghurt, Jello brand chocolate fudge pudding without sugar mix made with your own non-fat milk, or Carnation Breakfast Essentials (no sugar added) mixed with your own non-fat milk.

I used and still use Syntrax Nectar Carmel Macchiato and Vanilla latte with 8 oz of hot but not super hot coffee. It's not like shake, it's more like coffee with creamer.

My dietician said not to worry too much in first few weeks it will balance out soon . Well done by the way . 

Great advice from lots of knowledgeable guys on here for you 

Hello All,

New to this forum or any for that matter. I’m exactly 1 week post op RNY. I’ve found chicken broth and fairlife milk with nonfat dry milk are must more enjoyable than just water. Granted I haven’t been about to eat much and get full quickly. Yesterday I broke 300 calories since surgery day (5/21/18).

One surprising thing I hadn’t realized (or forgot if they told me or read about it) they wouldn’t let me drink the ENTIRE day (surgery was Mid-morning) and I had to beg just to get the mouth swabs!  I was discharged Thursday afternoon since I wasn’t ready before then, per the doctors. But boy way I ready to get out of bed. However, walking and riding in a car then was torturous. 

Good luck to all! :)

first of all, @emeymac, welcome to the Losers' Bench!!!   You'll find tons of help and advice and commraderie here on this board.

I wasn't "not allowed" to drink that first day, but I don't think I was given anything to drink so maybe I wasn't and I don't remember being told so either!  :D I do remember begging for ice chips like they were gold, so perhaps I wasn't allowed to drink.  I had my surgery at 10 am, was in recovery until 7:00 pm (it was hard coming out of anesthesia) and then I went to the ICU recovery bc the regular recovery room was shutting down, and I never made it to my room until 11:30pm.  In the ICU recovery, I got a tiny cup of ice chips that were marvelous but i kept hitting my pain med pump every 6 mins so I was pretty much out of it and ended up with little melting ice chips all over me when I woke up!!! haha!  guess you don't give a drugged woman a little medicine cup of ice chips w/o expected a little puddle!   The next day when I was expected to drink, I was very thirsty so I thought I'd love it, but it was hard to drink.  I had to drink 4 oz per hour and they'd line up 4 little medicine cups each hour so I could remember to drink them and it felt like they were giving me 180 oz per hour!!!!  It was nearly impossible to get it down...which was so bizzare to me.  All of that is passed and now, 6 months later, I could drink gallons and not be phased by it, but in the beginning getting anything down was a chore!

Greek yogurt; dannon light and fit is my drug of choice.  I remember thinning it with a little milk.  Premiere protein is good, maybe freeze it for a half hour to make it a little slushy.  Lately I’ve liked the peaches flavor.  I remember coming home being cleared for stage 3 at the 12 day mark.  Refried beans with a little taco sauce and melted cheese never tasted so good!

btw, I put my protein shakes in the ice cream maker and that made it delicious! 

Here's a few things I did to break up the sweet shakes.

I found some soup on Amazon called Bariwise. They were a wonderful change! I too got sick of the sweet shakes. I also made some pea soup using bonebroth and plain frozen peas. Cooked them and then blended them to liquid. I also added unflavored unjury to bump up the protein. Oh, and this may sound weird but I boiled bonebroth and added unflavored gelatin, then once it hit 140degrees I added unflavored unjury, cooled and in a couple hours it was beef gelatin. It was a wonderful change! 

Yesterday I got the ok to start pureed foods. I need ideas! Lol I'm too excited. It's hard to cook two tbl at a time.

Edited by ReveNReveN

On 6/1/2018 at 8:17 PM, ReveNReveN said:

Here's a few things I did to break up the sweet shakes.

I found some soup on Amazon called Bariwise. They were a wonderful change! I too got sick of the sweet shakes. I also made some pea soup using bonebroth and plain frozen peas. Cooked them and then blended them to liquid. I also added unflavored unjury to bump up the protein. Oh, and this may sound weird but I boiled bonebroth and added unflavored gelatin, then once it hit 140degrees I added unflavored unjury, cooled and in a couple hours it was beef gelatin. It was a wonderful change! 

Yesterday I got the ok to start pureed foods. I need ideas! Lol I'm too excited. It's hard to cook two tbl at a time.

Congrats on getting the ok for purées. You may want to check out The World According to Eggface for recipes. On her blog, she has a bunch for every stage. The ricotta bake is amazingly good, especially after weeks of liquids! 

Hi Robyn, I’m 8 days post op and feeling exactly the same!!! I’ve found yoghurts that have 17g of protein in and I’ve also invested in a soup maker, homemade soups are so much nicer than canned. Ice tea is also going down well for me. #liasstory