Animalrescuer18

From Gastric Bypass to Sleeve Gastrectomy

Hi everyone, I’d like to get some feedback from anyone who’s willing to offer it. I was scheduled for gastric bypass on April 16th. When my surgeon got in there he discovered I have extensive scar tissue  from previous abdominal surgeries and decided it isn’t safe for me to have gastric bypass since my intestines have so much scar tissue. He did spend 1-1/2 hours removing a good bit of scar tissue from areas that could cause me problems in the future. He suggests I wait 4-5 weeks to allow healing from the scar tissue removal and then do the sleeve gastrectomy. 

I haven’t discussed my concerns yet with my surgeon yet  but I will. I do appreciate him not doing the gastric bypass if he felt it wasn’t safe. I have diabetes and that is one of the main reasons I decided to go with gastric bypass. Plus I have 100 lbs to lose. Gastric bypass just seemed like the best way to go.  I’m wondering if I will have as much success with the sleeve gastrectomy in losing the 100 lbs and getting the diabetes to go in remission. 

‘When all is said and done I don’t really have a choice in which surgery to have. I certainly don’t want to do gastric bypass if it isn’t safe for me considering how my intestines are basically fused together in areas. I guess I’m just looking for reassurance that I will have the same outcome with doing the sleeve gastrectomy. I appreciate any input. You guys are awesome! Thank you in advance!!:rolleyes:

I'm so sorry that happened. I totally understand you wanting bypass particularly because of diabetes. I have a sleeve. I'm really happy with it, and I've lost 110 pounds with it so far. I'm 11 months out from surgery. It may take a little longer for you to lose the weight with a sleeve as opposed to a bypass, but you WILL do it. Do you have a new surgery date yet?

As usual, I totally agree with @Gretta.  :) 

Both the sleeve and gastric bypass are powerful weight loss tools that will allow you both to lose your excess weight and keep it off (as long as you are willing to work on developing a new relationship with food).  Although gastric bypass is particularly effective at getting rid of type 2 diabetes, the sleeve can also be highly effective at getting rid of type 2 diabetes as well.  

You may want to check out this web page on this topic by the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery which concludes: "Diabetes remission rates after sleeve gastrectomy are also very high (more than 60%) and, in some studies, similar to results seen after gastric bypass."

https://asmbs.org/patients/surgery-for-diabetes

10 hours ago, Gretta said:

I'm so sorry that happened. I totally understand you wanting bypass particularly because of diabetes. I have a sleeve. I'm really happy with it, and I've lost 110 pounds with it so far. I'm 11 months out from surgery. It may take a little longer for you to lose the weight with a sleeve as opposed to a bypass, but you WILL do it. Do you have a new surgery date yet?

No surgery date yet. I’m hoping for June 18th, after my son’s wedding:D

3 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

As usual, I totally agree with @Gretta.  :) 

Both the sleeve and gastric bypass are powerful weight loss tools that will allow you both to lose your excess weight and keep it off (as long as you are willing to work on developing a new relationship with food).  Although gastric bypass is particularly effective at getting rid of type 2 diabetes, the sleeve can also be highly effective at getting rid of type 2 diabetes as well.  

You may want to check out this web page on this topic by the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery which concludes: "Diabetes remission rates after sleeve gastrectomy are also very high (more than 60%) and, in some studies, similar to results seen after gastric bypass."

https://asmbs.org/patients/surgery-for-diabetes

Thank you! Great article!:D

I have to agree Gretta too.  There's no reason why you won't be as successful with the VSG over the RNY as long as you keep your head in the game.

On 4/26/2018 at 10:21 PM, Animalrescuer18 said:

Hi everyone, I’d like to get some feedback from anyone who’s willing to offer it. I was scheduled for gastric bypass on April 16th. When my surgeon got in there he discovered I have extensive scar tissue  from previous abdominal surgeries and decided it isn’t safe for me to have gastric bypass since my intestines have so much scar tissue. He did spend 1-1/2 hours removing a good bit of scar tissue from areas that could cause me problems in the future. He suggests I wait 4-5 weeks to allow healing from the scar tissue removal and then do the sleeve gastrectomy. 

I haven’t discussed my concerns yet with my surgeon yet  but I will. I do appreciate him not doing the gastric bypass if he felt it wasn’t safe. I have diabetes and that is one of the main reasons I decided to go with gastric bypass. Plus I have 100 lbs to lose. Gastric bypass just seemed like the best way to go.  I’m wondering if I will have as much success with the sleeve gastrectomy in losing the 100 lbs and getting the diabetes to go in remission. 

‘When all is said and done I don’t really have a choice in which surgery to have. I certainly don’t want to do gastric bypass if it isn’t safe for me considering how my intestines are basically fused together in areas. I guess I’m just looking for reassurance that I will have the same outcome with doing the sleeve gastrectomy. I appreciate any input. You guys are awesome! Thank you in advance!!:rolleyes:

I do not have a sleeve, so I can’t give you first hand experience. However, I think (heavy emphasis on think) you may be able to push your diabetes into remission or close to remission. In order to do this, you’ll have to follow a low carb diet for the rest of your life. 

I am a T2 diabetic. After I was diagnosed, I lost about 50 lbs (one of my many attempts to control my weight) and by following a low carb diet, I managed to put my diabetes into remission. Perhaps this can be a goal for you? Talk to your surgeon and endo about eating strategies to control your diabetes postop. 

Several of us on TTF are T2 diabetics in remission. @Nana Trish and @Cheesehead come to mind. I can’t speak to Cheesehead’s meal plans but Trish and I still eat low carb in order to keep our diabetes in remission. I have a weakness for fruit, so I’m not completely low carb, but I’m conscious of my carb counts. Eliminating diabetes from my life is important to me, so low carb it will continue to be. 

Your surgery will improve your health in all ways. Even if you aren’t able to keep your diabetes in remission, your A1c will certainly go down! That’s something to smile about!

I don’t eat rice or bread.  Rarely a potatoe (I do crave a baked potato about twice a year, so I eat maybe a half).  I eat low carb, except fruit.  I eat quite a bit of apples and fruit.. I was diabetic for 18 years and the surgeon wasn’t sure how if the surgery would put it in remission.  My sugars would get low enough in the hospital so they sent me home on insulin (which I’d fought for years, so I was really bummed), 5 days later I was done with diabetes meds and my A1C hasn’t been better..I’ve heard if sleeves doing good early out as well.  Good luck. I’m sure you will do great!

6 hours ago, NerdyToothpick said:

Several of us on TTF are T2 diabetics in remission. @Nana Trish and @Cheesehead come to mind. I can’t speak to Cheesehead’s meal plans but Trish and I still eat low carb in order to keep our diabetes in remission. I have a weakness for fruit, so I’m not completely low carb, but I’m conscious of my carb counts. Eliminating diabetes from my life is important to me, so low carb it will continue to be. 

@Animalrescuer18, I think getting your diabetes into remission is more about losing weight alongside eating low carb...no matter how you lose the weight. And I do believe that either surgery will get excellent results if you follow your plan. Like @Gretta said, it may take you a bit longer to lose the weight with the sleeve, but I have seen some folks here lose just as much, and as fast, with the sleeve as those of us with bypass do/have done. 

As @NerdyToothpick says, I still eat very low carb most days. I try to stay under 50g per day still, but some days I go over that. I still test my sugar on occasion, but other than a few lows, and one high reading, it's been VERY normal :) I've also started adding fruit back into my diet, but I stick with lower carb fruits like strawberries, raspberries or melon. I think it's very likely that you'll be able to get into remission with the sleeve

With all of that being said, I'm truly sorry to hear about the issues with your intestines. My surgeon was actually quite sure he was going to find something similar when he went in to do my surgery because I've had a lot of prior abdominal surgery. So I was half expecting to wake up with a sleeve. 

I wish you the best of luck, and will be sending cyber hugs your way!

Edited by Nana Trish

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:21 PM, Animalrescuer18 said:

I am sorry that you had these difficulties when you went into surgery, I cant imagine waking up and not having it done.

I had the sleeve almost 9 months ago and have lost 102 lbs since the first day of my 2 week liquid diet and 87 since the day of surgery, you can do this too.......Good luck !!

On 4/26/2018 at 10:21 PM, Animalrescuer18 said:

Hi Animalrescuer, the results with sleeves and bypasses are similar though not identical. Overall if you look at all persons who have these surgeries, there is a small advantage to the bypass in terms of total weight loss and resolution of diabetes. Having said that, the difference is small, and many of us on the Forum are of the opinion that you can achieve very similar (or identical) results with a sleeve if you are adherent to the Plan diet and, if need be, incorporate some exercise into your regimen. The weight loss difference might be 10%. That can easily be made up by sticking with your Plan a bit longer and incorporating some modest exercise. 

Persons with sleeves have less in the way of problems with vitamin and micronutrient deficiencies, fewer surgical complications, and I think less of a problem with 'dumping.' If you look at the recent posts there are individuals here who after a bypass have had problems with LOW blood sugars, e.g. reactive hypoglycemia, after surgery. 

I think you surgeon is a smart person. Trimming off some of the stomach for a sleeve (in contrast to a bypass) does not involve also freeing up some of the small intestine and moving it around and attaching it to the stomach. Doing that means the freed-up intestines have to be free of any scar tissues tying them down or adhering them to other bits of intestine or organs, no kinks, etc. If the choice is a sleeve or no surgery, having the sleeve is a no-brainer. 

Put me in the category of offering assurance that you can achieve your goals of weight loss, and diabetes remission or amelioration, with a sleeve. My pre-diabetes is gone, my sleep apnea is gone, my systolic BP is down 30 points, and I am ~ 100 lbs down with a sleeve. 

2 hours ago, tracyringo said:

I am sorry that you had these difficulties when you went into surgery, I cant imagine waking up and not having it done.

I had the sleeve almost 9 months ago and have lost 102 lbs since the first day of my 2 week liquid diet and 87 since the day of surgery, you can do this too.......Good luck !!

Thank you so much! It is so encouraging to hear how well you’ve done with the sleeve! Congratulations on your success!!

1 hour ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Hi Animalrescuer, the results with sleeves and bypasses are similar though not identical. Overall if you look at all persons who have these surgeries, there is a small advantage to the bypass in terms of total weight loss and resolution of diabetes. Having said that, the difference is small, and many of us on the Forum are of the opinion that you can achieve very similar (or identical) results with a sleeve if you are adherent to the Plan diet and, if need be, incorporate some exercise into your regimen. The weight loss difference might be 10%. That can easily be made up by sticking with your Plan a bit longer and incorporating some modest exercise. 

Persons with sleeves have less in the way of problems with vitamin and micronutrient deficiencies, fewer surgical complications, and I think less of a problem with 'dumping.' If you look at the recent posts there are individuals here who after a bypass have had problems with LOW blood sugars, e.g. reactive hypoglycemia, after surgery. 

I think you surgeon is a smart person. Trimming off some of the stomach for a sleeve (in contrast to a bypass) does not involve also freeing up some of the small intestine and moving it around and attaching it to the stomach. Doing that means the freed-up intestines have to be free of any scar tissues tying them down or adhering them to other bits of intestine or organs, no kinks, etc. If the choice is a sleeve or no surgery, having the sleeve is a no-brainer. 

Put me in the category of offering assurance that you can achieve your goals of weight loss, and diabetes remission or amelioration, with a sleeve. My pre-diabetes is gone, my sleep apnea is gone, my systolic BP is down 30 points, and I am ~ 100 lbs down with a sleeve. 

Thank you so much for those encouraging words! It really means a lot to me. At first I was really bummed out that I didn’t have gastric bypass. After doing more research I am feeling great about having the sleeve. My surgery is scheduled for June 18th. I’ve got my head back in the game now! Thanks again!! And congratulations on your great success!!

2 hours ago, tracyringo said:

Thanks so much for the encouragement! I’m feeling much better about the sleeve after hearing all the positive comments. My surgery is scheduled for June 18th and I can’t wait!! Congratulations on your success with the sleeve!! You’ve done great!!

On 4/29/2018 at 3:51 PM, Nana Trish said:

@Animalrescuer18, I think getting your diabetes into remission is more about losing weight alongside eating low carb...no matter how you lose the weight. And I do believe that either surgery will get excellent results if you follow your plan. Like @Gretta said, it may take you a bit longer to lose the weight with the sleeve, but I have seen some folks here lose just as much, and as fast, with the sleeve as those of us with bypass do/have done. 

As @NerdyToothpick says, I still eat very low carb most days. I try to stay under 50g per day still, but some days I go over that. I still test my sugar on occasion, but other than a few lows, and one high reading, it's been VERY normal :) I've also started adding fruit back into my diet, but I stick with lower carb fruits like strawberries, raspberries or melon. I think it's very likely that you'll be able to get into remission with the sleeve

With all of that being said, I'm truly sorry to hear about the issues with your intestines. My surgeon was actually quite sure he was going to find something similar when he went in to do my surgery because I've had a lot of prior abdominal surgery. So I was half expecting to wake up with a sleeve. 

I wish you the best of luck, and will be sending cyber hugs your way!

Thank you so much! Everyone has been so encouraging. I’ve got my head back in the game now and I am really looking forward to getting the sleeve on June 18th!Hopefully, I will have as much success as you’ve had! You’ve done fantastic!!

Thanks, @Animalrescuer18. Really you should do fine. I know I must sound like a broken record but just follow the program, be prepared for your surgery, have social support in place and be dealing with your personal psychological issues, follow your diet, and consider getting some modest amount of exercise. You'll be a star success. If this was hard to do or involved luck to be successful it would not be a widespread and successful medical procedure. Not one of us here doesn't eat something he or she shouldn't eat, or regret that you can't eat some food you used to eat for emotional reasons, or something like that. People are great successes without being perfect.