KarenBos

Hi... An introduction

Hi All,

I have not had gastric bypass surgery and don't think I will... but I have a lost a LOT of weight (and hope to lose more) and already I can see a lot of the aftermath I have to deal with. I thought this place might be helpful with that.

I was always heavy and by the time I was in my mid 30's I was 360lbs ... I don't think I need to tell those here how that had affected my life... I finally decided to do something about it and managed to get down to about 200 by the time I was 40... but while i felt physically  better I looked horrible with all the lose skin... and after awhile depression set in and my weight shot back up all the way to 370lbs... As i got older though I started having more physical issues with the weight and worried about what thought mean as I aged...

I am in my early-mid 60s now I have slowly managed to get my weight back down... on the scale this morning I was 224lbs... but as I lose weight the lose skin again is becoming more and more of an issue and it seems worst than before...

While I know this not true for everyone who loses a lot of weight, for me to be successful in keeping it off, I need to be able to look in the mirror and see a more 'normal' body for all this effort at at the end... I figured there are likely some here who felt like I do after their weight loss,  and I would like to hear about how they handled it.

If I can lose more, I am considering the body contouring procedures (though money and age are likely to be issues!). I thought people here who have gone that route could answer questions about their experiences with it.

I put a goal weight down when I signed up but several factors make it hard for me to know what it should be or how applicable standard BMI calculations are to me (very big frame- by wrist measurement so not just by looks, scoliosis, significant kyphosis as well as  height loss with age - In my 30's I was 5'11" and now am 5'7)... Those who have had gastric bypass have had expert medical help with setting their goals and I don't think my GP goes beyond standard BMI.

Anyway all that is why I am here. If this forum is only for those who have had gastric bypass or are planning it, please let me know and I will leave.

Thanks for listening.

- Karen

Edited by KarenBos

I never thought I would have plastics, but a year ago I did just that and it was great!  Well, the outcome was great, the process not so much.  Having lost and re-gained more than 100 pounds twice before in my life, I decided that plastics wouldn't even be on the radar until I had kept the weight off for a year.  This is the only time I've been successful in maintaining and I give credit for that to my sleeve.  Yes, it is about the choices I make every single day, but for sure the WLS tool has been the difference.  So, I rewarded myself with plastics; 360 lift, thighs, arms, breasts...the works :) I am so happy with the results.  My outward appearance now fits with the way I feel, which is really amazing!  You can disguise a lot with clothing but I would catch sight of my naked self in the mirror before plastics and get really sad about the damage I'd done.  And I no longer get flagged at the airport X-Ray machine for having something (skin) tucked into my pants!  Yes, there are scars but I choose to see them as road maps that mark my journey.

I hope you find the support you are looking for here as it is primarily people who have had or are going to have some type of weight loss surgery.  I wish you well on your journey to better health!

Hi Mary,

Thanks for the reply!

I'm not here looking for advice on how to get or keep weight off.. I know having gastric surgery helps deal with that so people's experience here with that won't be relevant to me...

But in many ways I think dealing with the aftermath of massive weight loss would be the same regardless of how one loses it... I don't know if there exists a  good forum for those who lost more than 100lbs that did it without surgery , so  I would like to stick around for awhile if people don't mind...

I can relate to the airport scanner thing... I rarely fly but had to a couple of months ago and I got pulled out of line and patted down going and coming. Each time they said something about the  waist/groin area... Until now I had no clue why! Never though it could be because of the skin hanging down! Thank you for sharing that... it now makes sense!

While the intro topic is not the place for detailed discussions on it, I do want to hear of people's experience with body contouring, the specific procedure they had, the results, recoveries, scaring, COST etc...

- Karen

Edited by KarenBos

Welcome to TTF and congratulations on your weight loss!

I suggest that you go the Reconstructive and Plastic Surgery board here at TTF.  There you will find lots of posts on the issues that you are interested in.

https://www.thinnertimesforum.com/forum/106-reconstructive-amp-plastic-surgery/