I have been experiencing changes in the way food tastes for about 3 weeks now, everything is nasty. Somebody's please tell me this will change pass the 3 month mark.

I noticed that my food tasted different post-op but I put that down to the fact that I had cut way back on fats, high calorie sauces/syrups and sugars but once I was cleared for all fresh vegetables, raw fruit and salads, I quickly realised that I was tasting food for what it was - not something smothered in rich, greasy sauces.

If what you are eating has a metallic taste you might be in Ketosis. That last for me for a couple of weeks and it was awful. But, it went away and things tasted good again. 

I had some pretty severe changes in taste for a few months. They were a bit hard to deal with at first, but then I adopted the philosophy that they were helping me to break my emotional relationship with food. That helped a lot. It's hard to overeat or eat things you shouldn't if your food doesn't taste good. My taste is back to where it was pre-op now (I think) but that break with emotional eating was really useful in helping me to construct a new relationship with food. 

I've got a bunch of whiny posts in my blog detailing my issues with taste (feel free to read). You're not alone. 

I had a problem with taste for awhile. Anything with tomato in it tasted funny, but that is gone now.

My tastes change even now.  We are on vacation.  What I ate last year, same place, is not tasting good now.  I loved the brisket and ribs.  Just had them for lunch and nope!  Told hubby they tasted weird they are his..

I’m one day shy of being 1 month post op, and today is the first day I’ve really experienced this. I’ve always been a garlic lover.. today I had to pass on dinner because I couldn’t handle the taste or smell of garlic! Light garlic powder on my tilapia & fresh garlic in a spinach/egg white concoction I made. I took 2 bites and just could NOT handle it. (So bizarre...I couldn’t believe it). I’m eating yogurt for dinner instead. 

I too, hope this passes. :unsure:

Katinka,

I found that my likes and dislikes hopped around for a few weeks after my WLS so hang in there.  

I basically stuck to plain foods for a good 6 - 8 weeks and learnt to enjoy the taste for what it was without jazzing it up as I had traditionally done.  And truth be known, now I actually prefer my meals without a lot of added seasonings other than fresh herbs (which I'm totally addicted to).

It's not so much that I dislike garlic or spices - I just enjoy my food for what it is.  But don't despair.  Give it a break for a week or so and then try whatever again.

Thank you for the encouraging words @cinwa I’m a little bummed I’ve ended up having to chuck some food I’ve purchased like Tilapia and a few different hummus flavors, but I think you’re absolutely right about staying plain jane for a while. Most things seem to gross me out right now. My diet mainly consists of premier protein vanilla shakes, fairlife milk(which I’m not crazy about but I need protein), yogurt or cottage  and mozzarella cheese, plain chicken-shredded up and mashed potatoes. I can’t seem to tolerate anything else. Anyone have any suggestions for one month post op meals (on the plain side) please? I’ll be happy to hear from you. Thanks

Katina - check out some of eggface's recipes:  http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2016/09/take-out-inspired-recipes-for-post.html

And on the mashed potatoes - they really don't have much to offer nutritionally.  Try some beans, legumes, lentils or the like.  The 9 Healthiest Beans and Legumes You Can Eat

18 hours ago, cinwa said:

Katina - check out some of eggface's recipes:  http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2016/09/take-out-inspired-recipes-for-post.html

And on the mashed potatoes - they really don't have much to offer nutritionally.  Try some beans, legumes, lentils or the like.  The 9 Healthiest Beans and Legumes You Can Eat

@cinwa Big time hugs for this info! I’m excited to dive down this rabbit hole this weekend. There’s so much info. Thank you!! 

9 minutes ago, Katinka said:

@cinwa Big time hugs for this info! I’m excited to dive down this rabbit hole this weekend. There’s so much info. Thank you!! 

You are more than welcome Katinka - been down that road myself.

@chocolatewoman

Hope your taste buds are doing ok now, it's been nearly a month. How are you doing?

Like @Stephtay I had a bit of the metallic taste stuff when I first went into ketosis - the metabolic state you go into when you don't eat carbs, so you body burns fat - but it got better pretty quickly, a couple of weeks total for me. Things pretty much taste the same for me now (over a year out from my sleeve) as they did before surgery, but I don't find some things as overwhelmingly seductive as I did before. 

The most severe taste change I had was sweet. I cannot tolerate sweet flavors, especially stevia and similar sugar substitutes. It's a bummer, but for the best. I'm 3.5 months out for reference.