Sign in to follow this  
Blue eyes

Need question answered.

I’m waiting for my doctors appointment to see if I can have a omega loop bypass, so I’m really interested how it works long term and if the weight comes back. I’m 63 and need to lose 30 to 40 kgs and want to know how it would effect my future as regards side effects. I have osteoarthritis in my feet and need to lose weight to reduce the pain in my feet so I need this to work otherwise I could end up in a wheelchair in the future. So really what I’m saying is, what do people find hard to deal with after the operation and what would you do differently if you had your time over? 

Regain is not only possible after surgery (generally it doesn't happen until at least a year after), it is actually highly likely if you don't make your post-op dietary plan a new lifestyle choice. Surgery is just a tool to make weightloss and maintenance easier. My personal experience with an arthritic foot is that weightloss didn't help with the pain at all, in fact my foot pain just kept getting worse. What it did do for me was allow me to get to a BMI where I became eligible for surgery. I had a midfoot fusion about 3 months after my RNY bypass. I was required to get my BMI below 30 before they would perform the foot surgery. I still have a lot of pain and swelling in that foot over 8 months since the fusion, but was warned beforehand that full recovery takes 12-18 months.

The one thing I would do differently knowing what I do now, is not have the foot surgery so close to my RNY. I wasn't allowed to lose weight for about three months post-op and that three months was total non-weightbearing. To say it was hard is a major understatement.