EmmaNoel

9 Months Post Op

Hi TTers!!

I have not forgotten you all....but boy does TIME FLY post op. It is almost as if the world opens up to you. I certainly have taken full advantage of my new body haha hit a rocky few months, could not get my Gut healthy...kept getting sick. if anyone lives in the New England area - you know this winter killed us.....snowed yesterday too UGH.

anyways, thought I would share some progress pics.

& speaking of struggles, I am 9 months post op as of today (wooo!) and I am starting to mentally freak out a bit.

I hit a stall, normal - I completely expected it to happen....but my fear hasn't been that I am NOT loosing weight. My fear is that I am going to gain it all back. I know I know, do the right thing and I won't.

But I guess what I am looking for on here is: how do you all handle these overwhelming anxieties?  I am so scared since those old habits are knocking at my door. I have been slacking with my nutrition and eating more "snacks" or sweets and then I get so upset with myself. I know it is muscle memory/habit, I know the right choices....but I just can not get out of my head.

I know I need to make better choices, I know I need to stay off the scale, I know I should just calm the hell down haha buttttt easier said than done right!

I never was a scale obsessed type...but when I see the number go UP...it scares me. so I have stopped weighing myself and trying to just STOP thinking about it and do the healthy stuff.

Just for some background, I have ALWAYS loved working out and enjoy healthy food. so in my head I keep thinking, those "tricks" never worked pre op...how will they work now. as far as distracting myself.

I work out 3-4x a week, I meal prep...I crochet....idk I guess I am just at a loss as to how to kind of switch it up??

am I making ANY sense???

I feel a little all over the place as these emotions just launched into my head 2 weeks ago (probably also directly related to the whole, no more BC pills and newly implanted IUD - 4months ago lol).

any advice is greatly appreciated!!

xoxo

Em

21432782_1988484714697653_3182041141940835333_n.jpg

WOW!  You can't argue your success with before-n-after pictures like that!

As far as those "old habits are knocking at my door" are concerned, you could do a lot worse than giving the 5 Day Pouch Test a go.  It'll get you back on track and and it does help kick the not so good cravings to the curb.

2 minutes ago, EmmaNoel said:

Hi TTers!!

I have not forgotten you all....but boy does TIME FLY post op. It is almost as if the world opens up to you. I certainly have taken full advantage of my new body haha hit a rocky few months, could not get my Gut healthy...kept getting sick. if anyone lives in the New England area - you know this winter killed us.....snowed yesterday too UGH.

anyways, thought I would share some progress pics.

& speaking of struggles, I am 9 months post op as of today (wooo!) and I am starting to mentally freak out a bit.

I hit a stall, normal - I completely expected it to happen....but my fear hasn't been that I am NOT loosing weight. My fear is that I am going to gain it all back. I know I know, do the right thing and I won't.

But I guess what I am looking for on here is: how do you all handle these overwhelming anxieties?  I am so scared since those old habits are knocking at my door. I have been slacking with my nutrition and eating more "snacks" or sweets and then I get so upset with myself. I know it is muscle memory/habit, I know the right choices....but I just can not get out of my head.

I know I need to make better choices, I know I need to stay off the scale, I know I should just calm the hell down haha buttttt easier said than done right!

I never was a scale obsessed type...but when I see the number go UP...it scares me. so I have stopped weighing myself and trying to just STOP thinking about it and do the healthy stuff.

Just for some background, I have ALWAYS loved working out and enjoy healthy food. so in my head I keep thinking, those "tricks" never worked pre op...how will they work now. as far as distracting myself.

I work out 3-4x a week, I meal prep...I crochet....idk I guess I am just at a loss as to how to kind of switch it up??

am I making ANY sense???

I feel a little all over the place as these emotions just launched into my head 2 weeks ago (probably also directly related to the whole, no more BC pills and newly implanted IUD - 4months ago lol).

any advice is greatly appreciated!!

xoxo

Em

21432782_1988484714697653_3182041141940835333_n.jpg

First of all Em, Congratz, you look great!  Your hard work and perseverance has paid off. :)  I can relate to several things you said also.  You are doing a great job with the workouts, something I also make sure to do (4-5X weekly mostly cardio, some arm curls/weights and sit ups).  I have also never been a slave to the scale...until recently since I am now in maintenance.  I am 10 months out (6/14/17).

I think you may need to go back to the basics of concentrating on getting the protein/fluids in first.  I do find the more carbs that I eat, the more that I want.  Until you get to what you feel is your ideal "goal weight", it is really important to stick to your plan.  Though you worked out and ate healthy pre-surgery, you now have an incredible tool to use to your advantage.  Work the tool girlie! :)

I'm only 5 months out, so no advice from me on long-term success, I just wanted to pop in to say how great you look!! Fantastic work so far! 

@TammyP very true!! thank you for the kind words! That's where I get so annoyed with myself - I feel amazing, I love the progress and I honestly don't know if I want to be smaller. I am working on building back some muscle on my legs and booty etc. I think when I look in the mirror and see my tummy skin....my brain tells me it is the SAME as before.....obviously not...but combined with my slip ups....it's brutal.

you're totally right - I need to focus on protein BIG time....thanks again dear!!

12 minutes ago, cinwa said:

WOW!  You can't argue your success with before-n-after pictures like that!

As far as those "old habits are knocking at my door" are concerned, you could do a lot worse than giving the 5 Day Pouch Test a go.  It'll help you get back on track and and it does help kick the not so good cravings to the curb.

Thanks Cinwa!!! I was thinking that may be a good start as well!

LOOK. AT. YOU!!!! Amazing progress! Well done!

Amazing progress. I'm another that says stick to the plan until you hit goal. It's easier now than it ever will be again....you've likely not many more months left of the "honeymoon" and after that things get tougher.

Do not put away your scale!!!! That is your honesty. Even if you only weigh fortnightly or monthly, you need the reality check. Once you hit goal you need to set a weight at which you will not allow yourself to exceed. Mine for example is 70kg. As soon as that 7 shows up on the scale I'm totally back on plan. If you don't keep the scales how will you know if your gaining or not.....that is until your clothes no longer fit. The more weight that goes back on...and at some stage you will naturally regain....the harder it will be to get it off again. Nipping any regain in the bud will be a far better thing to do from a physiological standpoint than allowing regain to get out of hand.

Congrats on your amazing progress - you look great! (and super happy) :) 

I think @Aussie Bear's scale wisdom is a good way to look at things. We don't ever gain weight overnight (well, not more than a pound, anyway), but it's the looking-the-other-direction-while-it's-happening that is our downfall. I've got my crack-the-whip number and refuse to go above it! If you look at your situation that way, it might set your mind at ease a little about the daily or weekly fluctuations.

You look great!!  Congratulations.

The key to success after weight loss surgery is very simple - follow your post op diet (which should be high in lean protein and low in both carbs and calories), drink lots of liquids, take you vitamins, and lead an active lifestyle. If you do that, you will lose your excess weight and reach your goal weight. 

It is just like in the Wizard of Oz, where Dorothy’s only route to the Enerald City was by following the yellow brick road - getting off of this route results in an attack by flying monkeys - not fun. 

You can do it!

Wow! You look radiant! I’m pleased that you have lost so much weight. I mean this in the most sincere (and jealous) manner, your tush is amazing! I’d gladly pay for my rear to look this good. 

I can relate to the anxiety. Like you, I ate healthily pre op and was moderately active. However, I always say that just because it’s from Whole Foods doesn’t mean it’s good for you. I have anxieties that my old habits will come screaming back and I will have gained 100 lbs overnight. These feelings have gotten easier to manage over the past year but I can’t lie and say they have gone away. I think that awareness of these demons is the most important part of staying strong. A good support network and self examination can do wonders. 

Congrats on all your achievements. 

BTW, I’m also in Mass. This winter has been brutal!

Edited by NerdyToothpick

Amazing! And you look so happy :) Also, that booty is encouraging me to get in the gym, so thank you for that :D

Most likely, what caused you trouble in the past is that you adopted behaviours that distracted you from your problems - be it anxiety, pain, or whatever the day has thrown at you. Take the time for yourself to help identify your distracting behaviours and overtime the problem itself will be solvable. I know it sounds overly simple, but this is something I am currently working on myself and it is really helping me stay focused.

Normally I binge because of my anxiety or back pain, which does not help me in anyway reach my long term goals, very much the opposite in fact. But when I come from a place of understanding when I get that urge, I am able to sit down, put my hand on my chest to help bring me back into my body, and then journal about what's really going on. I like to add some positives when I'm done writing, and also what I can improve on with suggestions to try next time. And when all else fails I go right to my card box - filled with different distraction ideas and motivators to keep going. I am by no means an expert in this department, but I have found these tools useful and hope they can help others as well. The fear of regain and failure is very real - but the goal is to not let that fear become a self fulfilling prophecy. 

A huge congrats to you on your progress so far @EmmaNoel! You are doing an amazing job and you will continue to succeed at this! :)

@EmmaNoel, Wow! Congrats on all your hard work so far!  And I want to really thank you for sharing your thoughts and fears. I'm only 2 1/2 months out, and still have alot of weight loss ahead of me, but "looking into the future" is so helpful, and your current fears are very insightful. I've yo-yo'd my whole life and I am determined to use this surgery tool as the end of that. I think all the advice here will help you as well as the fact that you are aware of the demons and want to fight them. 

Please check in here after one month and let us know how you are doing. Everyone is here for you, and we want to know how the dragon-slaying is going. You rock! Keep up the good work! Now go out there and slay! :)

@EmmaNoel...you look fantastic!!! Great job!!

Im a year out, and every so often I will get this thought that actually takes my breath away...it's this sudden stark fear that I'm going to gain it all back. I know the feeling, and I'm sorry it happens to you too. I don't think it happened much while I was still trying to lose, but since I've been at goal, it's like a mini freak out once or twice a week. 

You said it though, just get back to making the right choices... and the weight gain isn't going to happen. To either of us. As @cinwa suggested, the 5 day pouch test is a great way to get your head back into the game, and kill the cravings quick. I've done it, and it worked wonders for me. Best of luck to you!!