Jo-jo

Hi from Jo in Liverpool uk

Hi everyone. Im Jo I’m 33 and I had my bypass on Tuesday!

Still finding it very hard to adjust. Reading everyone’s stories makes me exited, nervous and scared all at the same time. I dumped the first night home off a complan shake a think it was a mixture of medication and tiredness oh and probably not sipping properly. So i hope I’ve learnt my lesson there .

I was just wondering what protein shakes other people have in the liquid stage? I’m struggling with the slimfasts I think they are a little to high in sugar for me and here in the uk I haven’t found any substitutes with the same amount of protein and vitamins. 

Would be very great full for some guidance and help? 

Thanks for reading 

jo 

Welcome to Thinner Times Jo and congratulations on your WLS!

There are many protein drinks out there but finding one that you like enough to drink regularly can be a battle.  My choice is (and always has been) Syntrax Nectar (just the shake type flavours, not the fruity one but tastes differ).  Best advice I can give is to get online and search for sample sizes - it'll save you money in the long run.

In the meantime, if you can tolerate milk, at around 8g of protein per 8oz cup, it'll certainly help with your protein intake.  And you can ring the change with adding cocoa powder (with a little sweetener if needed).  Purgusto and TRKG and Skinny Syrups do a pretty decent line of sugar free syrups too.

Just now, cinwa said:

Welcome to Thinner Times Jo and congratulations on your WLS!

There are many protein drinks out there but finding one that you like enough to drink regularly can be a battle.  My choice is (and always has been) Syntrax Nectar (just the shake type flavours, not the fruity one but tastes differ).  Best advice I can give is to get online and search for sample sizes - it'll save you money in the long run.

In the meantime, if you can tolerate milk, at around 8g of protein per 8oz cup, it'll certainly help with your protein intake.  And you can ring the change with adding cocoa powder (with a little sweetener if needed).  Purgusto and TRKG and Skinny Syrups do a pretty decent line of sugar free syrups too.

And it's always worth trying an "unflavoured" protein powder too - you can add sugar free syrups to that to find something you like.

Thank you so much for your advice. I will certainly try anything at the moment. 

I didn’t know milk had that much protein so thanks for the tip. 

Are you able to get powdered milk in the UK? My program suggests adding powdered milk to regular milk to bump the protein stats. 

Yes. Iv got marvel powered milk. I’ve been adding that to my broth. Never even thought to add it to my milk. 

Thank you so much. 

3 minutes ago, Jo-jo said:

Yes. Iv got marvel powered milk. I’ve been adding that to my broth. Never even thought to add it to my milk. 

Just try adding a bit of powdered first, I found it at full strength in a glass of milk to be a little too much for my taste.

I thought the same with it in the broth.