.:princesszelda:.

Almost 2 months since surgery and some incisions are not healing

Hey everyone,

As the title says it, this week will mark 2 months since I had my duodenal switch bariatric surgery and most of my incisions have not healed up. I have 5 incisions that my surgeon made on surgery day: 4 incisions that are pretty much on the same level as my belly button and then 1 incision that is located where my bra band is situated at. I have one incision that closed up nicely and can't even tell that it was even an incision and then there are 4 incisions that seem to not want to heal up at all and almost look like skin ulcers. A week or 2 ago, I showed a lady at my church my incisions (she is a pre-op nurse at the hospital where I had my surgery) and she told me to clean my wounds with an equal mix of saltwater and hydrogen peroxide. She also mentioned that a reason as to why the wounds may not be healing correctly is because when I sit down, the skin "rolls" and hits my clothes and the clothes and skin rub against each other. 

Anyways, my surgeon had given me at least half a dozen different creams and ointments to put onto these wounds (I was given these creams and ointments a few days before surgery through a third party company that delivers prescriptions). Despite using over half a dozen creams and ointments, the wounds are still not healed up, but at least they are not gaping holes. Look up skin ulcers and that is almost what my wounds look like.

Has anyone experienced something like this? If so, what did you do? How long did it take for them to heal up?

I go to see my surgeon's physician assistant tomorrow, so I will most definitely show her the wounds that are not healing. I know I probably should have gone in sooner, but I wanted to see if the wounds would start to heal on their own and they do look a TINY bit better, but they still look kind of rough. I just want everything to heal up as the areas were my clothes hit (bra band rubbing against skin making it red and raw and then the area where the elastic band of my underwear hits my skin is also red and raw) is really sore and hurting and probably just making everything worse.

Congrats on your surgery and I'm sorry to hear some of your incisions haven't healed. I don't remember how long it took for me to heal but I know it wasn't two months. I've had several surgeries in my life and all incisions have healed in less than two months. Glad you are going to see the dr tomorrow and it I think it is a good sign that the nurse at your church gave you ideas on how to clean them. Good Luck tomorrow and please let us know what your doctor says!

I'm sorry your surgeon isn't more on top of this, but I do want to note to please not use hydrogen peroxide on your wounds. It actually damages granulation/healing tissue, and we only use it medically diluted and in cases where we dont want full healing (like when someone has external fixation devices and we dont want the skin to adhere to the pins). Generally, mild soap and water is all you need for uninfected wounds.

For the one directly being chafed by your clothing, try using the creams prescribed by your physician, and taping a nonstick wound pad over it. Change it out daily. 

A big factor in wound healing is getting enough protein in, so make sure you're hitting that hard!

As usual, @delilas is correct. I was getting 150 grams plus of protein in after surgery (mostly because I want minimal hair loss). I saw my surgeon at my 1 week check up and she was amazed at how quickly my incisions healed (closed up, looked great, later got seroma) and she actually released me for water aerobics at 1 week out. She credit my speedy healing to the high amount of protein that I was taking in. I am 3.5 weeks out and still getting at least 106 grams in every day. Very important post op.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have been getting anywhere between 50-100 grams of protein, all of it through food. I have protein powder to make protein drinks, but every time I drink it, I get really nauseous. The thing that is getting me is I have one incision that has completely healed up. How come I have one incision that is completely healed up, but 4 other incisions that almost look like skin ulcers. 

My surgeon wants me to get at least 60-85 grams of protein and 48-64 oz of water. I have been getting 60-100 oz of water each day and 50-100 grams of protein each day. However, my carb intake is a little high, but I have been trying to decrease my carb intake. 

At this point, if I can have the remaining unhealed incisions glued, steri-stripped or stitched, I would get one of those three things done, if at all possible. I have used up at least 5 box of bandaids and my skin has started to become sensitive to those bandaids and has even took some skin off. I do have gauze pads, but they don't really stay on and the tape I have does work, but not really well.

Hmmm... I am wondering. If you are sensitive to something in the band aids, it could e causing the incisions not to heal and actually irritating them. My oldest sister had a few surgeries recently. She has super sensitive skin. She had reaction to tapes, glue, neosporin and so many other things that it was hard to get hers to heal.

Is it possible to keep your stomach covered with a clean cloth? Even for part of the day.It may be that once you take the irritant away, you heal up just fine.

1 hour ago, Readytobeme said:

Hmmm... I am wondering. If you are sensitive to something in the band aids, it could e causing the incisions not to heal and actually irritating them. My oldest sister had a few surgeries recently. She has super sensitive skin. She had reaction to tapes, glue, neosporin and so many other things that it was hard to get hers to heal.

Is it possible to keep your stomach covered with a clean cloth? Even for part of the day.It may be that once you take the irritant away, you heal up just fine.

I had my post op follow up appointment today. We did a lot of stuff during this appointment. I showed my surgeons' physician assistant my incisions/wounds and the physician assistant told me that all of the creams and ointments I was putting on could be irritating my wounds/incisions and causing them not to heal correctly/the right way. So, the physician assistant told me to stop using all of the ointments and creams all together and she gave me this silver nitrate antimicrobial gel to put on the wounds/incisions twice a day (once in the morning and once before I go to bed). I have never used any type of ointment/cream/gel that contains silver nitrate, but my parents and the physician assistant says that stuff really works, but I'll see what happens. The physician assistant also said that my skin is super sensitive right now. So, that could be a reason as to why my abdominal skin looks irritated in those areas right now. 

It is possible for me to keep my stomach covered with a clean cloth. I kind of do that in a way now (I take pieces of paper towel and cover the wounds/incisions with those pieces; I use tape to keep the paper towel pieces in place). 

Edited by .:princesszelda:.

I've always found silver nitrate works wonders. Even the bandaids I buy these days contain silver nitrate.

Edited by Aussie Bear
Autocorrect strikes again!!!!!!

3 hours ago, .:princesszelda:. said:

I had my post op follow up appointment today. We did a lot of stuff during this appointment. I showed my surgeons' physician assistant my incisions/wounds and the physician assistant told me that all of the creams and ointments I was putting on could be irritating my wounds/incisions and causing them not to heal correctly/the right way. So, the physician assistant told me to stop using all of the ointments and creams all together and she gave me this silver nitrate antimicrobial gel to put on the wounds/incisions twice a day (once in the morning and once before I go to bed). I have never used any type of ointment/cream/gel that contains silver nitrate, but my parents and the physician assistant says that stuff really works, but I'll see what happens. The physician assistant also said that my skin is super sensitive right now. So, that could be a reason as to why my abdominal skin looks irritated in those areas right now. 

It is possible for me to keep my stomach covered with a clean cloth. I kind of do that in a way now (I take pieces of paper towel and cover the wounds/incisions with those pieces; I use tape to keep the paper towel pieces in place). 

Ok. I was wondering why your surgeon would have given you so many creams and ointments post op. I think that most folks are told soap and water only. It makes perfect sense to me that would cause a bad reaction on your incisions.

Excellent news on the silver nitrate. That stuff is miraculous and should get your incisions healed up in no time at all.

Hang in there.

1 hour ago, Readytobeme said:

Ok. I was wondering why your surgeon would have given you so many creams and ointments post op. I think that most folks are told soap and water only. It makes perfect sense to me that would cause a bad reaction on your incisions.

Excellent news on the silver nitrate. That stuff is miraculous and should get your incisions healed up in no time at all.

Hang in there.

One of the creams/ointments was to help prevent infection. Two of the ointments/creams was to help with dryness and irritation of the skin. Two of the creams/ointments was to help with pain and inflammation. So, out of the creams and ointments I was given, the only one that helped the most was the lidocaine cream/ointment; that helped numb the problem areas. Another one that helped was this one cream/ointment that was pretty much diaper rash cream and moisturizer in a bottle (I think it was called dimethicone protectant). 

I don't know why I was given so much stuff. My surgeon goes through this 3rd party company that fills and mails your prescriptions to you and everything is covered by my parents insurance. Plus, it saves a ton of time for my parents as they don't have to run out to the pharmacy and have a lot of prescriptions filled and pay a lot of money. In the beginning, all of this sounded like a good idea and it is still a good idea. However, I found out today that my surgeon is no longer doing business with this company as a lot of people were having problems with these creams/ointments and having problems with other things as well (I don't think it was with the company itself). 

Good to hear that he discontinued them. He was most likely getting kick backs from them.