CharlieChopz

5 Days till gastric bypass

Hi everyone,

I've been sneaking around the forum for a week now and I've decided the advice and support everyone gets would be really helpful right now. As it says in the title I'm 5 days away from my surgery date and I'm only just starting to get a bit nervous. I'll be travelling from England to Belgium to have a gastric bypass at the Wellness Kliniek, I've met my surgeon Dr Alex Heylen and he seems really nice but all of a sudden I'm wondering if letting someone cut me open and route around in there is the most sane choice.

I've been really excited about the surgery up till now, I've done my pre op diet and I've planned my meals, exercise, vitamins, and everything. I know it's not going to be easy but I think its just now hitting me how dangerous this could be. What if something goes wrong? What if it doesn't work? Also I'm kind of ashamed of how I look and I hate the thought the nurses will have to prep me.

If someone could talk me down I'd be much obliged ;)

Char

Welcome to Thinner Times Charlie!

It's pretty normal to have worries about the surgery - I went through the same but my surgeon told me that the risks of my morbid obesity far outweighed the risks of having WLS and suggested I hit the computer and do the research on what could happen if I don't lose weight (and keep it off). 

It's not a very pretty picture:

Research has shown that as weight increases to reach the levels referred to as "overweight" and "obesity," the risks for following conditions also increases:

Coronary heart disease
Type 2 diabetes
Cancers (endometrial, breast and colon)
Hypertension (high blood pressure)
Dyslipidemia (for example, high total cholesterol or high levels of triplycerides)
Stroke
Liver and Gallblabber disease
Sleep apnea and respiratory problems
Osteoarthritis (a degeneration of cartilage and its underlying bone within a joint)
Gynecological problems (abnormal menses, infertility)
Reproductive disorders (obese women have trouble having children and obese men have reduced sperm counts)
Blood clots in the legs and clots to the lungs
Varicose veins and swollen legs
Respiratory problems, including difficulty breathing with small amounts of exertion and walking
Fat accumulation in the liver and cirrhosis
Some forms of cancer, particularly cancer of the uterus, breast, prostate, colon and gallbladder

Hi @CharlieChopz Cogratulations on control of your life. Trust us when we say that this is the best decision you will ever make in your life. 

Don’t be ashamed of how you look! The hospital staff have seen people of every shape and size. The hospital is there to help you be your best self. Be proud that you have the courage to go forward with your life. WLS will set you free. 

Keep coming back to the forum. We will help settle your nerves. You can do this! 

Pre-op nerves are completely normal....don't let them override what I'm sure has been a ton of research and planning. You've chosen the WLS for reasons that now would be a great time to review them. The long, long list of possible complications have to be rolled out and reiterated with you over and over again leading up to your surgery.....but the reality is that the risks are very low.

I look at the lists of complications of obesity like cinwa has just provided and on a personal level that really grates my gears, even though I know those risks of obesity are very real. I'll give you a shortened version of my story from yesterday. I had a day surgery procedure yesterday (I'm not going into details on this but)....after the procedure the nurse looking after me dragged me into a conversation with a second nurse about weight. The second nurse was a very petite young thing while nurse one was a morbidly obese older women. I made the comment that the best thing about losing my excess weight has been never having to hear another doctor say "lose weight and..... insert medical problem here....will heal itself". I can't tell you how many times I've heard that in my life, and I don't hear that these days. For the most part now most doctors actually try to help resolve any medical issues I have rather than make me feel like I'm not worth helping because I'm too fat. When I woke up in recovery the surgeon came up to me privately and spoke to me about what did and didn't happen during my procedure, and the plan moving forward. Roll on about 30 minutes after the conversation with the nurse re weight and the surgeon comes out to talk to the patient who was in theatre after me. She was sitting right next to me at the time in an open and populated area. The surgeon proceeded to tell her that he didn't do the surgery that was planned for her and wouldn't even consider it in future because she was overweight and "if you just lose weight her issues (GERD & hiatus hernia) would most likely go away". We all heard the conversation as there was no attempt by the surgeon to keep that conversation private. I know that patient would have loved the ground to open up and swallow her....she wasn't even that big. To me the moral of the story is that fat shaming is alive and well, and in my experience the medical fraternity are the biggest perpetrators, even though they can rightly tie that into real world statistics.

As for the nurse embarrassment issue...you would actually be on the lower end of the BMI scale to be having this surgery. Believe me the nurses are usually dealing with way worse than you. That's certainly what nurses told me after I had my surgery. They said they were usually dealing with people with BMIs above 50. Our starting stats are actually pretty close....and look where I am now. That could be you @CharlieChopz in just 12 months time. Heck you could achieve even more than me, even if you can't envision what that might look like right now.

You have the plans already in place to finally allow yourself to escape both that prejudicial treatment and a host of comorbidities. If you are prepared and dedicated to following your post-op plan you WILL lose your excess weight, so why wait any longer. If on the other hand, you're not ready to be strict with yourself regarding post surgery diet, then maybe waiting longer is a better plan for you right now. Only you can know where your head really is on this. Best wishes moving forward and deciding what you want to do. I certainly don't regret having had my RNY.

Edited by Aussie Bear

Welcome, and don't worry about the nerves - that's a totally normal part of making a big life change, and we should all take the process of having surgery seriously. That said, it's very safe these days, statistically speaking. 

Here's an article to distract for a bit: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/13/well/why-weight-loss-surgery-works-when-diets-dont.html

If you need more ammunition to quiet your worried brain, here's a whole list of them: 

Best of luck! 

Welcome!  It will only get better every day!  

Great news @CharlieChopz!!!! Welcome to the losers bench. Please keep us posted on your progress.

1 hour ago, CharlieChopz said:

I SURVIVED!! I’m officially 15hours post op, very sore but very happy!

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!giphy.gif

Welcome to the losers bench!

picgifs-welcome-2-3816229.gif

Well done x  happy times ahead

Welcome to the losers bench Charlie!

Golden rule for this stage - drink and walk.