Sign in to follow this  
Gypsy Angel

Just SHUSH, GA! (venting)

It drives me absolutely insane that friends and/or relatives will come to me seeking advice on how to lose weight.

I tell them "increase your protein, increase you water consumption, and move your butt!" (I keep the advice simple)

I get the look of derision which is followed very closely by the eyeroll and the "Easy for you to say, you had "The Surgery"!"

<looks for the nearest brick wall to bang my head on>

And then it's "Well, what do you eat?"  And, resentfully, I list off a few things.

And then it's "You can eat that?" Or "Is that ALL you eat?" Or "Oh, I would never eat that!"

So...you know what? I give up. No more advice from me. Next time I am asked, I am just going to shrug my shoulders and tell them "I don't know."

Amen! A few coworkers who have noticed my weight loss have had the same reaction. My cousin curls her lip up at my plate whenever we eat together (she's larger than I ever was, albeit she has successfully lost 50+ lbs several times where I never could). I gave up on trying to talk about it really any more. 

Let's be honest here....people don't want the truth.....they already know the truth. They want to hear of a miracle way to lose lots of weight and do it fast. That's what they don't know how to do, and they can't handle the reality that we don't have that answer for them either. They need to believe that we've done it easily, when only we know how difficult it still is even with a super duper charged tool to help us. It is still all about what we put in our gobs and how much we move our butts.

I give the same response you do....it's accurate and the best advice. We can't help that it isn't what others want to hear.

I have to agree with Aussie Bear. If a person is truly trying to lose weight, most likely they know just what to do. Everyone wants to know a magic, easy way to do it. Sadly, there just is none yet.

I absolutely understand that folks are looking for that magic wand. They don't want to work at it. And, of course there's the misconception that once you have surgery, you don't have to work at losing weight.  Bahahahahaha!!!

I was just irritated and feeling stabby yesterday.

22 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

Let's be honest here....people don't want the truth.....they already know the truth. They want to hear of a miracle way to lose lots of weight and do it fast. That's what they don't know how to do, and they can't handle the reality that we don't have that answer for them either. They need to believe that we've done it easily, when only we know how difficult it still is even with a super duper charged tool to help us. It is still all about what we put in our gobs and how much we move our butts.

I give the same response you do....it's accurate and the best advice. We can't help that it isn't what others want to hear.

“It is still all about what we put in our gobs and how much we move our butts”

LOL forever @Aussie Bear  You are the best, twinnie.