ktallon

Talk sense into me

I swear the weight loss gods must hate me. I have been in a serious stall for almost a month now. I have tried upping my fluids my protein is consistently around 80g a day. I don't know what else to do. I also thought for sure that since i had to be on a liquid diet the last few days for a colonoscopy i am having done today that would get the scale moving nope no such luck in fact according to my scale i am up 4 pounds since Saturday. I am seriously down about this. I have a check up with the surgeon this week and i know i am going to get lectured because i havent lost any weight since the last check up. What can i do to get the scale moving again.

Your body has been through a lot and, for some mysterious and misguided reason, has decided to stall your weight loss.  From what I have seen here at TTF over the last few years, the best way to break a stall is to simply to be stubborn and continue a healthy post-op diet low in calories and carbs, and high in lean protein and liquids.  Be sure to take your vitamins and lead an active lifestyle.  The stall will end, and soon you will be back on your way to onederland.  

If you want to do something new to break the stall, you will find lots of suggestions here at TTF.  Some people have had luck with increasing liquids, increasing protein, decreasing carbs, decreasing calories, increasing calories, increasing carbs, increasing exercise, decreasing exercise, etc.- but one cannot know if the stall for any person who tried one of these changes would have broken just as fast (or even faster) without the change.

As bad as the stall is, hang in there.  It will get better.  Reaching and maintaining at your goal weight is worth the trouble.  We are here to support you.

So sorry that you are going through this, KT. I myself live by Murphy's Law. I am 3 weeks out from surgery today. I lost 8 pounds the first week. Nothing the second week and today I gained a pound.

It is getting seriously disgusting ESPECIALLY since I am not even on solid foods yet! All of this just to say that I do feel your pain.

Hang in there. It has got to get better.

This is my biggest fear. I'm two weeks to the date post op. I eat very little and struggle to get my 64 oz. of fluid. Sometimes I even feel hungry if that is possible! I worry that I might be the first person to have GBS and never lose weight no matter how hard I try! I also still have belly pain from insicisions and can't bend over! I go for my two week check up Wednesday,

2 hours ago, Anita62 said:

I worry that I might be the first person to have GBS and never lose weight no matter how hard I try!

Not gonna happen! Just stick with your plan :) 

I lost "only" seven pounds in the first week after surgery, and then nothing for a week, then only a little bit the week after that. My brain had me convinced that I was going to fail due to no fault of my own, just being "broken" somehow. Nope.

You're very early days yet. Just stick to the plan. It will happen!

3 hours ago, Readytobeme said:

Hang in there. It has got to get better.

Same for you, @Readytobeme. It'll happen. 

7 hours ago, ktallon said:

i know i am going to get lectured because i havent lost any weight since the last check up

If you're following your plan, please don't put up with a lecture. If you're not following your plan, follow your plan! :) 

@Res Ipsa is absolutely right: your body has had a rough go of it. Your path will likely include some times when your body is just healing and getting used to things. I know it's hard to be patient, though. Trust the process.

Thanks @Jen581791!!! I know what you are saying is true. I feel sure that you know only too well how the mind can play games and convince us otherwise though.

Thanks for the reminder!

14 hours ago, Anita62 said:

This is my biggest fear. I'm two weeks to the date post op. I eat very little and struggle to get my 64 oz. of fluid. Sometimes I even feel hungry if that is possible! I worry that I might be the first person to have GBS and never lose weight no matter how hard I try! I also still have belly pain from insicisions and can't bend over! I go for my two week check up Wednesday,

Oh, hunger is indeed possible IMHO. Especially if you are still on liquids. We have to stay on them for awhile in order to heal but, this phase absolutely bites.

I am close to being able to slowly introduce solid food now. So, keep your eyes on the prize. You too will get there before you even know it.

As bad as I hate it for you, it is comforting to hear from a person that had GB going through the same as I am. I keep second guessing myself thinking that I should have had GB. Ugh!