Carina

One year out

Recommended Posts

Yesterday was one year since my GBP. I remember going through the pre-surgery screening appointments, getting a surgery date, seeing the date get nearer (and suddenly be moved UP four days!)...I had no idea what it would be like.

The Cliff Notes version is: I really had no serious problems at all. I didn't react too well to the anesthetic (I was VERY faint for the first 18 hours), and at several weeks out my intestines would suddenly decide they needed to get rid of whatever they contained. That lasted for about a week. Otherwise it was just a question of getting used to what my pouch did and didn't like.

Actually, and I've "complained" about this before, it's EASIER than I thought it would be. At one year out I can't think of anything I really cannot eat. That includes sugar, unfortunately. I don't really dump. I had wacky up-and-down blood sugar for several weeks around January, I think, but I rarely have that anymore. And I can eat more calories than I thought I'd be able to. Basically, that pretty much means the honeymoon's over. I now have to watch what I eat more -- try not to graze, for example.

My blood work at six months was perfect. (I'll get blood work again tomorrow.) In general, I feel good, though I get light-headed easily if I bend over.

Here's a pic, April 2017 - September 2017 - April 2018.

This is a good opportunity to thank y'all for your support, public or by DM. It's a good community.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them!

ETA: I lost 17-1/2 lb (8 kg) pre-op. Since surgery I've lost 60 pounds (27 kg). I hope to lose about 15 more pounds.

Enlight4.jpg

Edited by Carina

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice !!  Congrats to you and all your hard work.  How much did you lose total for the year and pre op diet?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tracyringo said:

Very nice !!  Congrats to you and all your hard work.  How much did you lose total for the year and pre op diet?

 

Ah yes, the stats, I forgot. Thanks; I'll add them. I lost 17-1/2 lb (8 kg) pre-op. Since surgery I've lost 60 pounds (27 kg). I hope to lose about 15 more pounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A belated Happy Surgiversary Karina!

You have to be pleased with the results - the transformation in those pictures is pretty amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Carina said:

Ah yes, the stats, I forgot. Thanks; I'll add them. I lost 17-1/2 lb (8 kg) pre-op. Since surgery I've lost 60 pounds (27 kg). I hope to lose about 15 more pounds.

Great job!  Your transformation is both amazing and inspirational.  In terms of losing the last 15 pounds, all you need to do is go back to your basic post-op diet with lots of lean protein and liquids, while keeping carbs and calories low.  Your gastric bypass will do the rest.  If you find that certain foods are problematic for you, then get them out of the house.  We are here to support you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Carina Congrats on your one year surgiversary!

You're looking great! And feeling really good, I imagine. I hope you can see the changes, too :) Keep up your hard work - most studies seem to show the 2 year mark as the max weight loss moment, so you've got some time to get to the goal you've set for yourself. You can do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy surgiversary, @Carina!!!

I love the pics!! Thank you so much for posting them! ❤️ Look how much you’ve shrunk!! Looking great, my friend :) You’ll be able to get rid of that last 15 pounds :wub:

Awesome sauce!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats @Carina! It’s seems like yesterday that you had your surgery. What a transformation. Lots of hugs to you. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, well done @Carina! Yes, it does seem like just yesterday that you had your surgery! Best wishes - BB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic, @Carina! Can't believe it's been a year already! Well done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gretta said:

Fantastic, @Carina! Can't believe it's been a year already! Well done!

By the way, I just noticed that you are doing really great too @Gretta - down well over 100 pounds and closing in on your goal weight.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Res Ipsa said:

By the way, I just noticed that you are doing really great too @Gretta - down well over 100 pounds and closing in on your goal weight.  :)

Thanks for noticing! Enjoying the ride for sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done @Carina. Geez photos really do make all the difference in seeing ones loses don't they.

As an aside...I love when people post their stats in my language, aka kilograms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! Those pictures always show the real picture lol It truly makes it easy to see just how much smaller a person really is from where they started. Thanks so much for sharing them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work!  Love your new collarbones and  thinner neck (along with your thinner body!)  Awesome! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratz at your awesome transformation! <3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done ...amazing results 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to everybody for all the good vibes. It makes a difference to me, especially because I've been stalled for three months and feel fat. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Carina said:

Thanks to everybody for all the good vibes. It makes a difference to me, especially because I've been stalled for three months and feel fat. :-)

I'm at GW and I feel fat much of the time! Don't trust your inner voice. Your stall will end. Just keep at it and don't give up :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2018 at 10:49 AM, Carina said:

Thanks to everybody for all the good vibes. It makes a difference to me, especially because I've been stalled for three months and feel fat. :-)

We all feel that way at some point, @Carina❤️ Stalls are inevitable for some of us, and it sucks! @Dtrain84 has been in a 3 months stall as well...and he is choosing to embrace the stall and keep on with plan. That's a very positive attitude :) Trust the process, follow your plan, and the last 15 pounds will take a hike soon ❤️. We are always here to support you!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2018 at 12:35 AM, Nana Trish said:

We all feel that way at some point, @Carina❤️ Stalls are inevitable for some of us, and it sucks! @Dtrain84 has been in a 3 months stall as well...and he is choosing to embrace the stall and keep on with plan. That's a very positive attitude :) Trust the process, follow your plan, and the last 15 pounds will take a hike soon ❤️. We are always here to support you!!! 

@Carina like @Nana Trish said, I am embracing my stall. I'm staying the course and not getting discouraged. I put my scale up and it's only coming out once a month. There's one thing about stalls, they will eventually break. I've been through many of them to know this. So keep your head up and stay the course and don't get discouraged. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dtrain84 said:

@Carina like @Nana Trish said, I am embracing my stall. I'm staying the course and not getting discouraged. I put my scale up and it's only coming out once a month. There's one thing about stalls, they will eventually break. I've been through many of them to know this. So keep your head up and stay the course and don't get discouraged. 

This is a great plan.  It is where you are going with your weight that really matters, since once you reach your goal weight you will soon stop caring much about any stalls along the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2018 at 3:32 PM, Gretta said:

Thanks for noticing! Enjoying the ride for sure!

Wowza, @Gretta!! Way to go!! I knew you were doing well, but damn!! It won’t be long now before you’re at goal!! Congrats! ❤️❤️❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

Wowza, @Gretta!! Way to go!! I knew you were doing well, but damn!! It won’t be long now before you’re at goal!! Congrats! ❤️❤️❤️

Thanks, @Nana Trish, you make it fun trying to chase those awesome losses of yours. :wub: As of today, I've lost 140. Hooray!

Edited by Gretta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gretta said:

Thanks, @Nana Trish, you make it fun trying to chase those awesome losses of yours. :wub: As of today, I've lost 140. Hooray!

Just amazing, my dear friend!! ❤️ Feels incredible, doesn’t it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now