kristinwitha_k

Should I be worried I don't sweat anymore?

I can go through an entire Body Pump or Zumba class and maybe be a little bit damp behind my ears and on my forehead. I used to sweat if it even just got too humid outside on an otherwise chilly day.

Should I worry about this? Anyone else have this experience? 

Nothing to worry about (I'm jealous!), but do check that you're able to get in your target heart rate zone in your classes so you get the most out of them. https://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/heartrate

I have noticed this exact thing. Yesterday I did a jogging workout. I was breathing heavily and tired, but no real sweat! I have no idea why that is. I may need to experiment with longer workouts to see if I can work up a good sweat. 

Thanks, @Gretta! I should probably get some sort of monitor, eh?

6 minutes ago, Madhouse Heidi said:

I have noticed this exact thing. Yesterday I did a jogging workout. I was breathing heavily and tired, but no real sweat! I have no idea why that is. I may need to experiment with longer workouts to see if I can work up a good sweat. 

It's a bit surreal, isn't it? Like, what's it going to take to get sweaty? I don't know! Ha. I'm so used to sweating with less effort than I'm putting in now that maybe I just haven't realized I'm not pushing myself hard enough. I want to take a nap just thinking about it, though. :) 

A monitor is nice, but you can do it the old-fashioned way. Take your pulse for 10 seconds and multiply by 6. My Samsung phone reads my heart rate. So convenient.

5 minutes ago, Gretta said:

A monitor is nice, but you can do it the old-fashioned way. Take your pulse for 10 seconds and multiply by 6. My Samsung phone reads my heart rate. So convenient.

Ha, duh, of course. :)

I have a relatively low resting heart rate (I just took it sitting at my desk at work, and it was 54 bpm). I made everyone freak out in the hospital with it after anesthesia. Fun times with heart rates! I doubt that's related to the sweating thing, just thinking out loud. 

41 minutes ago, kristinwitha_k said:

Ha, duh, of course. :)

I have a relatively low resting heart rate (I just took it sitting at my desk at work, and it was 54 bpm). I made everyone freak out in the hospital with it after anesthesia. Fun times with heart rates! I doubt that's related to the sweating thing, just thinking out loud. 

Kristin you are just not as well insulated as you were before you lost 130 lbs. you successful person you! Ditto @Madhouse Heidi!!  When cycling I sweat less than I  used to; when rowing in the gym, which is pretty intense, I sweat a lot. FWIW last year I checked my pulse one morning in bed before getting up and it was 42, I thought I was gonna die (but obviously did not). I was swimming an hour a day then. Turns out 20-25% of WLS persons end up with bradycardia, the fancy medical word for a heart rate under 60. [Miguel Indurain, the world champion cyclist from 20 years ago, had a resting pulse... of 28].

Um yes you can dial up your exercise and sweat more. But, hey, you might lose more weight or live longer because you are fit! Are you sure you want to do that?! :P

2 hours ago, kristinwitha_k said:

Thanks, @Gretta! I should probably get some sort of monitor, eh?

It's a bit surreal, isn't it? Like, what's it going to take to get sweaty? I don't know! Ha. I'm so used to sweating with less effort than I'm putting in now that maybe I just haven't realized I'm not pushing myself hard enough. I want to take a nap just thinking about it, though. :) 

I have been thinking that I need to start pushing myself harder, too. My brain still dreads the really intense workouts because it was so painful, but after losing 80 pounds, my joints feel great and I enjoy the mild soreness from using my muscles. So here’s to us both stepping it up! Do you want to make a deal? Let’s see if we can do something that makes us sweat for real this week and report back!?

I rarely sweat now. Even when I exercise hard. I get a little dewy around the back of my neck if I run for half an hour in a warmish gym, but that's about it. Living in the part of the world I do, it's a fantastic thing, otherwise ew. My heart rate is also pretty low - resting hr between 52 and 55 normally, according to my Fitbit (it's in the low 40s at night - am I hibernating???). All side effects of weight loss, I guess.

As a puffy girl, I used to sweat like racehorse in the summer without doing much more than walking.  And we're not particularly noted for our heat in the summer here in the PNW.

Now, it would require a good amount of effort to get me to sweat and I've noticed that sweating now is totally different to what it was pre-op.  It used to be bad in my folds of fat (under boobs and between my thighs which ultimately ended up raw because they rubbed together).  Now it's mostly my head, face and neck that gets dripping wet.

I was a sweat-monster when I was young and then I stopped sweating much at all as I got older (not WLS related. I didn't sweat much even before) I was so mystified I googled the heck out of it, but I couldn't find anything that said "it's weird not to sweat" LOL.  I do still sweat when I exercise hard though!

20 hours ago, Madhouse Heidi said:

I have been thinking that I need to start pushing myself harder, too. My brain still dreads the really intense workouts because it was so painful, but after losing 80 pounds, my joints feel great and I enjoy the mild soreness from using my muscles. So here’s to us both stepping it up! Do you want to make a deal? Let’s see if we can do something that makes us sweat for real this week and report back!?

Works for me!! I'll give it my best shot. 

I have had the same thoughts! I use to sweat ALL the time and now when I don't, I think I should worry! It was my normal for 13 years of being heavy so I don't know what to do now when I don't sweat! I will say that I think it's part of the adjustment of weight loss. SO many things happen that are unexpected and/or weird but also wonderful! I am so grateful I don't sweat after grocery shopping and have to talk to the cashiers with sweat pouring from my face. I was the "fat sweaty girl" and I hated it! So, if I don't sweat anymore I think I am just going to be really excited about it! Maybe we just sweat like "normal" sized people now? I don't know, but I am so glad for it!

I went and donated plasma and my heart rate was 58 with my blood pressure 90/58 !!! They had to redo it and it was 90/60...

Wondering if anyone else has a problem with low vitals after surgery?

Mine or very similar to yours ..pre op 140/85:rolleyes:

10 hours ago, tracyringo said:

I went and donated plasma and my heart rate was 58 with my blood pressure 90/58 !!! They had to redo it and it was 90/60...

Mine look like that these days if I'm relaxed. They'll be slightly higher if I'm out and about. Even before WLS after anesthesia it drops so low I end up having to stay in recovery on a drip to get it up. I'm actually not far away from leaving for a day surgery today so will be interesting to find out what it does now.

On 4/13/2018 at 4:19 PM, kristinwitha_k said:

Works for me!! I'll give it my best shot. 

@kristinwitha_k How did it go? I went on a 3 mile walk yesterday, and I jogged the last 1/4 mile. I am happy to report that I was indeed sweating at the end! Not as much as I would have 80 pounds ago, but definitely sweating!

48 minutes ago, Madhouse Heidi said:

@kristinwitha_k How did it go? I went on a 3 mile walk yesterday, and I jogged the last 1/4 mile. I am happy to report that I was indeed sweating at the end! Not as much as I would have 80 pounds ago, but definitely sweating!

Ack, it's been more than a week already! Confession: I haven't tried yet. In my defense, my asthma suddenly started flaring up about two weeks ago, and my doctor ended up putting me on Singulair and Advair, in addition to my albuterol inhaler. (I used to use my inhaler a couple times a year, and all of a sudden I was using it twice a day. Not okay!) I wanted to wait until the new meds kicked in before I started huffing and puffing again. Seems pretty unfair that I lost 130 pounds and my asthma got WORSE but that's life I suppose. 

Pinky swear I'll do it this week and report back for real this time. 

7 hours ago, kristinwitha_k said:

Ack, it's been more than a week already! Confession: I haven't tried yet. In my defense, my asthma suddenly started flaring up about two weeks ago, and my doctor ended up putting me on Singulair and Advair, in addition to my albuterol inhaler. (I used to use my inhaler a couple times a year, and all of a sudden I was using it twice a day. Not okay!) I wanted to wait until the new meds kicked in before I started huffing and puffing again. Seems pretty unfair that I lost 130 pounds and my asthma got WORSE but that's life I suppose. 

Pinky swear I'll do it this week and report back for real this time. 

Listen to your body! If you need more time to let the mess kick in, take it. I look forward to hearing that you are feeling better (and sweaty!)

On 4/17/2018 at 9:19 AM, tracyringo said:

I regularly measure 100 / 55 with a heart rate <60 beats per minute

Could be meds....at least that's it in my case

Trust me, I'm not anyone's idea of an elite athlete

17 hours ago, Georgepds said:

I regularly measure 100 / 55 with a heart rate <60 beats per minute

Could be meds....at least that's it in my case

Trust me, I'm not anyone's idea of an elite athlete

So, it turns out about 20% of people after WLS end up with much lower heart rates. I was in an hotel about 6 months ago and measured my pulse before arising, and it was 42... I thought I was going to die or something. I've always been pretty fit even when fat but this flipped me out. Turns out the medical literature is full of this. It is almost never clinically significant, just means our hearts are happy they don't have to work so hard to pump the blood around.