When you reached your goal were there food types your body absolutely not tolerate? Will there be food I will never eat again?

Unfortunately for me my body no longer tolerates sugar or most carbohydrates.....not kidding either. It makes life really hard sometimes when eating out because hidden sugars will bite me in the arse an hour or two later. As an example I had a surgeon's appointment last week. When I arrived he was running over an hour late so receptionist suggested I go get a coffee or something while I waited. I went to the cafeteria and ordered a latte, no sugar. Grabbed my coffee and went back to the waiting area. Started to drink the coffee and thought it tasted funny....realised it was actually a cappuccino with the sugar laden cocoa sprinkled very liberally on top....I finished it anyway. That bought on a hypoglycemic episode, more blood tests, and I left that appointment with a script for metformin in hand.

Other than that I've had no problems with most of the foods others have issues with. I can eat all red meats but I do tend to steal clear of chicken breast because for me that gets dicey....I prefer thigh meat anyway so no biggie.

I was unable to eat meat post-WLS.  Fish and shellfish is fine which is OK with me - I have always preferred that over meat anyway.  Unfortunately, I also developed hypoglycemia post-RNY (very low level of blood sugar (glucose)) and I'm unable to tolerate breads, crackers, cereals etc. etc.

Thank you. 

I can eat anything, which isn't always a good thing. :mellow:  The only thing that I really have no desire to eat anymore is string cheese.  I don't know why but it tastes differently to me now.

Anything fried makes me physically sick.  Same with too much grease or oil.  Alcohol is a no go about 85 per cent of the time.  

Eggs make me gag.  Not overly fond of hamburger anymore..  

On 4/8/2018 at 5:07 PM, Anita62 said:

When you reached your goal were there food types your body absolutely not tolerate? Will there be food I will never eat again?

Nope.

... there is nothing I can't eat - although for a lot of foods I am now easily bored with garbage foods that I once ate for emotional reasons. (I mean, after one bite of garbage, why eat more??). I still find trash like potato chips attractive (deep sigh) and have to keep them out of the house. If you read my posts here you'll see I eat very well indeed and continue to participate in food and wine society events. I just eat a lot less than I used to (thank God). Your question is a really good one and I will ask my wife what her observations are on this topic. Maybe I overlooking something. 

Like @Aussie Bear I have found that if I have intensely sugary foods I develop (what I think is) hyperglycemia and then mild reactive hypoglycemia (much milder than her symptoms, though). This first happened to me about 6 months after my surgery at a hotel in Indonesia when I developed a fast heart rate and some sweatiness after breakfasting on some grotesquely over-sweetened yogurt. I have had little interest in sugary foods for many years so this is not much of a problem for me. Since you had a bypass you need to be careful of this. I guess if someone thought you could eat frosted cupcakes after surgery without concern it would be a problem! (Really, just joking; this is serious business). You may find that you can eat small amounts of foods that mess with your metabolism but not anything more than that. 

Of course the higher level question is were there foods that I thought I was tolerating but were slowly killing me from progressive obesity, and that I can or can't eat?

(I may not be quite at "goal" but I have been eating at maintenance type levels for months, so am hoping this answer still helpful. My BMI is < 26 and my weight has been pretty stable for many months). 

I can eat almost anything in moderation. But .... ice cream in large amounts makes me dump, so I avoid it. I also avoid deep fried food and steak as they just don’t sit well in my stomach. Finally, carbonated drinks fill me with gas in an unpleasant way. 

I haven't really tried much in the way of refined carbs (bread, pasta, rice) so I'm not sure there. I've had some bites of those, and they just tend to fill me up too quickly to eat anything else. I eat whole grain crackers (just a couple few) almost every day, and those are fine. 

I eat really dark chocolate (80% or higher) and it's fine with me, too. I haven't eaten much else in the way of sweets in the last year. I guess I had a little piece of chocolate cake once and I was OK. I know that sugar sets off cravings in me, though, so I've just decided to kiss sweets goodbye, longterm. I eat dates fairly frequently (due to where I live!) and although those are pretty sugary, the fiber in them makes it so I don't have the same cravings reaction.

I can tolerate fried foods just fine (they send me to the bathroom rather soon after, but otherwise OK). They just aren't very tempting to me.

I just eat really differently than most people do, and I'm OK with that. I like what I eat, and I don't feel deprived in any way. Those words would sound like utter nonsense to my ears a year and a half ago, but I really don't miss anything. Mostly, I am just a really different person now whose identity is not tied up with food and drink. 

I'm not at maintenance yet, but I'm in month 8 post-surgery, and so far everything I've tried has been okay... eventually.  It took many months for me to be able to eat tuna again, which made me sad because I love it AND it's on plan.  And I had a few months where I couldn't tolerate premier protein shakes, which are by far the easiest to deal with logistically for me.  But I can handle both of those things now, and nothing else I have tried has been a problem.  I eat pretty normally, just a lot less of everything, and always under 50 net carbs a day.  Most of that 50 is taken up by the incidental carbs in the yogurt/cottage cheese/protein shakes I have most days, but there's often room for a slice of bread OR a few crackers, and that basically handles my need for stuff like that.

There's a lot of stuff I used to eat that I HAVEN'T tried, granted... but most of that falls into the junk food category, and if I'm as smart as I like to think I am, I won't be trying those out again ever. 

I think this is definitely different for everyone. In my early days post op, it seemed as though my tastes hadn’t changed, and if I chewed anything I ate well enough, I thought I could tolerate anything. My first aversion was fish...one day I could eat it, and 2 weeks later I couldn’t even stand the smell of it. It took me 6 months before I could eat it again. Now it tastes fine. Red meat, in the form of taco meat, was fine before. Now I can’t stand the taste of the meat or the fat in the meat. Chicken, shrimp, fish, scallops, eggs, yogurt and cheese are pretty much what I survive on.

Also, most sweet things taste WAY too sweet now. Halo top ice cream for instance. I can eat 2-3 spoonfuls of it and that’s it...it gets too sweet too fast. I tried some chocolate halo top a few days ago. I really wanted to like it...but it was definitely a no go. Now I hate chocolate too, lol. I did eat a couple bites of French vanilla cheesecake on my birthday, but I got the shakes so bad afterward (from a blood sugar spike and crash) that it’s just not worth it. But I am a diabetic in remission, so I shouldn’t even be trying to eat that anyway. 

So I guess for me, it’s hit and miss on any given day. I’m almost a year post op, and I definitely can’t eat like I used to. But I don’t have the desire to either. 

I can no longer tolerate fried foods, fatty fish or dense breads. What has surprised me more are the foods that I don’t want to eat. I used to love vanilla but now it makes me gag. Tuna turns my stomach as well as eggs. More than anything, I get cravings for silly things. For example, a podcast I listen to mentioned Taco Bell about a billion times. Now, I want Taco Bell. :( I do my best not to act on my cravings because I know that my food addiction is speaking. 

Everyone is different and you’ll discover what you should avoid as this journey goes on. 

Edited by NerdyToothpick