Kio

Hard day... pet attacked

Hi everyone... it is my 7 month surgiversary and normally I would be posting in my blog about my progress, stats, thoughts on the last month, etc.  But last night I went through kind of a terrible experience and I just don't have the heart to be upbeat right now.  Please back out now if you'll be upset by the story of what happened to my dog last night... it was a bad attack, and I just need to get it out.

I was out walking Sadie in the neighborhood yesterday, and near the end of the walk we passed a house where I heard some yelling and saw a door open.  I tried to hurry Sadie past because she's not a big fan of commotion, but a dog came out of the house and attacked her.  She's a 30-lb Jack Russell terrier mix and this was an 84 lb American Bulldog.  It went right for her and wouldn't let her go.  A man came out of the house and grabbed it by the waist and pulled it off of her finally - it took all his strength, he was down on the ground wrestling it and it was still trying to get at her. 

I texted Leah and Margie to get her to come get me and I was totally incoherent. I don't even know why I didn't just call them - I guess it's just that we rarely talk on the phone, it's all texting or in person, so I just did what we always do.  I don't think I could have found their numbers because I was panicking and crying and could barely even get the texts off - I used the voice thingy because I could barely make the phone work.

She was bitten very badly in several places and had to spend the night at the local emergency vet hospital.  She's still there now, but she's doing okay. They had to keep her overnight and sedate her to do x-rays and explore the extent of the damage, which they were not able to do until the ER quieted down - they needed uninterrupted time with her. She had several bad lacerations and puncture wounds. They had to place a special kind of drain in each wound because the attack was so vicious that tissue under her skin pulled away from her body in several places, and they're very concerned about infection.  They were concerned that one of the bites might have penetrated her belly or her chest wall, which would have required surgery, but x-rays showed that those areas were not punctured.  I'm still shaking as I type this.  All I can think about is hearing her screaming while it went at her, and there was nothing I could do. That dog was fully large and strong enough to kill me if I'd intervened.  It was all I could do to hold her leash - I was terrified that if I let go she'd run out into traffic, or that she'd run and the dog would chase her down and kill her.  I don't think I will ever forget what she sounded like. 

She's on injectable pain meds (basically liquid advil) now and they are concerned that oral meds might not be able to keep her comfortable.  They'll try to transition her to oral later this morning and see how it goes.  When she's home she'll need constant watching and care for 3-5 days and we will have to manually empty the drains periodically as the "cannisters" attached fill up.  She can't do any stairs while she is healing, which means she will have to be carried outside to do her business. 

I just don't even know where my head is right now.  I wasn't hurt at all, but I had blood all over me when I got to the ER, from holding her in the car on the way to the vet. The owners of the other dog have stayed in touch via email (we exchanged them just before tearing off to the vet) but have not offered to cover the vet expenses, which are sitting at around $1500 right now and will go higher if she can't come home today.  I don't know what to do about that, or what to do about the dog - I feel like this attack should be reported, and I think the emergency vet will do that, but I don't know how it works.  The owner said the dog was up to date with shots and emailed over a vet report, but the vet report didn't actually say anything about her shots.  So they had to treat Sadie with a rabies booster too.  There were kids involved somehow - I heard them yelling before the door opened and the dog came out - and I think they're the owner's kids and so this was their dog.  I hate the thought of any kid losing their dog like this, but even more I hate the thought that I could have lost MY dog yesterday and came really really close to it.  And what if it wasn't a dog, what if it was another kid?  It's all just horrible.

If I'm not around for a while, this is why... I'll try to keep checking in (I especially want to know how things are with @NerdyToothpick after her visit with her surgeon) but mainly I think I will be curled up in a little ball trying to settle my nerves...

Yikes.  What really horrible news.  I am so very sorry.:(

You should report this attack ASAP today to the police for the town/city where the attack occurred.  A dangerous dog needs to be reported before it attacks another dog or (even worse) a young child.

As a Massachusetts attorney, I also want you to know that the owner of the other dog should be liable for you for all of the vet bills as long as the attack did not occur on their land (a "trespass").  Here is the Massachusetts statute (MGL c. 140, section 155) - note that your dog is your "property" for purposes of this law:

If any dog shall do any damage to either the body or property of any person, the owner or keeper, or if the owner or keeper be a minor, the parent or guardian of such minor, shall be liable for such damage, unless such damage shall have been occasioned to the body or property of a person who, at the time such damage was sustained, was committing a trespass or other tort, or was teasing, tormenting or abusing such dog. If a minor, on whose behalf an action under this section is brought, is under seven years of age at the time the damage was done, it shall be presumed that such minor was not committing a trespass or other tort, or teasing, tormenting or abusing such dog, and the burden of proof thereof shall be upon the defendant in such action.

We are here to support you.

That is really great info, Res - thank you!  I'm pretty sure we were not on their property - we were in front of their house, but on the sidewalk, which I believe is owned by the city?  Their car was in their driveway and running, and the bumper of the car overlapped the sidewalk a bit so we had to go around it - closer to the street, away from the house, though still on the sidewalk.  Then when their door opened I tried to rush Sadie past (she's not fond of kids or yelling, and I was hearing both coming from the house.)  She was definitely on sidewalk and not grass.

Being on a public sidewalk is not a "trespass" so the dog's owner should be liable for your vet bill.  Please call and report this attack to the police ASAP, you may save a child from an attack by this dog - plus reporting the attack should result in the police telling the owner that he owes you money for your vet bills.

Once again, I am very sorry for the trauma to your dog and for you having to witness it.

Kio,

What a horrible experience for you and Sadie - my heart goes out to you both.

How awful, @Kio. It's so hard to see our pets in danger and pain - such a scary experience. As terrible as it is, I'm glad it's not worse. I hope she gets better quickly. It's good that dogs are usually tougher than people about injuries. Take good care of her and good mental care of yourself :( 

Big hugs.

Oh, @Kio....Hope Sadie recovers quickly. What a traumatic experience for you both!!!!  So glad her organs weren’t punctured...she was lucky considering her opponent!  Way to fight to live, Sadie!!!  Give her lots of cuddles so she will know the world is usually safe and she’s still loved.  (((Hugs)))

What an awful experience for you and Sadie. I'm so sorry that happened. You must be rattled beyond belief. What a nightmare. Reporting the attack is necessary. Please keep us updated on Sadie. 

Thanks, everyone!  We did make a police report just now, so the wheels for that are in motion (good advice, @Res Ipsa!)  No word yet from the vet on whether Sadie's oral pain meds are working, but I'll update when I know more. 

We are here for you.

My pets (two Maine Coon cats) are family as far as I am concerned (crazy family members but still family!)

I'm so sorry @Kio. I hope Sadie is okay and you'll be able to hold her in your arms and comfort her soon.  Be kind to yourself for handling such a traumatic experience the best that you could and know that Sadie is lucky to have such a quick acting Mom to get her to help.   <<hugs>>

How traumatizing for both of you @Kio!  I hope that Sadie will be able to be home with you soon.

7 hours ago, Kio said:

Hi everyone... it is my 7 month surgiversary and normally I would be posting in my blog about my progress, stats, thoughts on the last month, etc.  But last night I went through kind of a terrible experience and I just don't have the heart to be upbeat right now.  Please back out now if you'll be upset by the story of what happened to my dog last night... it was a bad attack, and I just need to get it out.

I was out walking Sadie in the neighborhood yesterday, and near the end of the walk we passed a house where I heard some yelling and saw a door open.  I tried to hurry Sadie past because she's not a big fan of commotion, but a dog came out of the house and attacked her.  She's a 30-lb Jack Russell terrier mix and this was an 84 lb American Bulldog.  It went right for her and wouldn't let her go.  A man came out of the house and grabbed it by the waist and pulled it off of her finally - it took all his strength, he was down on the ground wrestling it and it was still trying to get at her. 

I texted Leah and Margie to get her to come get me and I was totally incoherent. I don't even know why I didn't just call them - I guess it's just that we rarely talk on the phone, it's all texting or in person, so I just did what we always do.  I don't think I could have found their numbers because I was panicking and crying and could barely even get the texts off - I used the voice thingy because I could barely make the phone work.

She was bitten very badly in several places and had to spend the night at the local emergency vet hospital.  She's still there now, but she's doing okay. They had to keep her overnight and sedate her to do x-rays and explore the extent of the damage, which they were not able to do until the ER quieted down - they needed uninterrupted time with her. She had several bad lacerations and puncture wounds. They had to place a special kind of drain in each wound because the attack was so vicious that tissue under her skin pulled away from her body in several places, and they're very concerned about infection.  They were concerned that one of the bites might have penetrated her belly or her chest wall, which would have required surgery, but x-rays showed that those areas were not punctured.  I'm still shaking as I type this.  All I can think about is hearing her screaming while it went at her, and there was nothing I could do. That dog was fully large and strong enough to kill me if I'd intervened.  It was all I could do to hold her leash - I was terrified that if I let go she'd run out into traffic, or that she'd run and the dog would chase her down and kill her.  I don't think I will ever forget what she sounded like. 

She's on injectable pain meds (basically liquid advil) now and they are concerned that oral meds might not be able to keep her comfortable.  They'll try to transition her to oral later this morning and see how it goes.  When she's home she'll need constant watching and care for 3-5 days and we will have to manually empty the drains periodically as the "cannisters" attached fill up.  She can't do any stairs while she is healing, which means she will have to be carried outside to do her business. 

I just don't even know where my head is right now.  I wasn't hurt at all, but I had blood all over me when I got to the ER, from holding her in the car on the way to the vet. The owners of the other dog have stayed in touch via email (we exchanged them just before tearing off to the vet) but have not offered to cover the vet expenses, which are sitting at around $1500 right now and will go higher if she can't come home today.  I don't know what to do about that, or what to do about the dog - I feel like this attack should be reported, and I think the emergency vet will do that, but I don't know how it works.  The owner said the dog was up to date with shots and emailed over a vet report, but the vet report didn't actually say anything about her shots.  So they had to treat Sadie with a rabies booster too.  There were kids involved somehow - I heard them yelling before the door opened and the dog came out - and I think they're the owner's kids and so this was their dog.  I hate the thought of any kid losing their dog like this, but even more I hate the thought that I could have lost MY dog yesterday and came really really close to it.  And what if it wasn't a dog, what if it was another kid?  It's all just horrible.

If I'm not around for a while, this is why... I'll try to keep checking in (I especially want to know how things are with @NerdyToothpick after her visit with her surgeon) but mainly I think I will be curled up in a little ball trying to settle my nerves...

Oh, @Kio! I’m so sorry to hear this news. I’m in the “animals are our babies” camp. I’m really sorry to hear that Sadie is going through this hard time. All my love to you. 

As cold as this may sound, I think you or your vet should report this attack to Animal Control. This could happen again to someone else’s baby or to a person. 

Take care of yourself. xoxo

3 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

We are here for you.

My pets (two Maine Coon cats) are family as far as I am concerned (crazy family members but still family!)

I have a crazy Maine Coon, too!

Oh, Kio! What a traumatic experience for you both! I am so very sorry that this happened to you. I am an animal lover and sometimes think that I love animals more than most people.

I hope that you both recover quickly. Poor little sadie :(

Please keep us posted on her progress.

What a traumatic thing to go through for bothyou and Sadie. Hope she's okay to come home today.

Sadly I've watched enough Judge Judy in my lifetime to know that you can sue for vet costs on this if the vicious dogs owner doesn't  pay them. That said @Res Ipsa is by far a better source of information regarding that than a closet ex-Judge Judy watcher.

Hoping your furr baby gets to come home today!  Hope you are doing ok.

Sadie is back home, and we're all trying to settle down.  It's super hard to handle all this while also trying to clean/move out for open houses in two weeks. But Leah and I are going to divide her time between us, and Meg is going to step in and help when I have to be away from home during the day (mainly tomorrow and Tuesday).  So far so good...

So glad Sadie's home!

Aww sweetie so sorry to hear this.  This happened to me when I was a teenager.  Long story short, the attacking dog's owners had to pay all vet bills, and since there were previous offenses, the dog was put down.  Our dog survived (also had the drains, but recovered).  I am glad you all can be with her now that she is home recovering.  So sorry though that you had to go through this. :(

So awful ...hugs for you and your doggy xx

I'm glad that Sadie is home Kio - give her a very gentle hug from us.

This story broke my heart, @Kio. What a terrible ordeal for Sadie and for you. I'm so glad she's on the mend. I want to race home and cuddle my baby girl kitty right now. 

On 4/8/2018 at 7:21 PM, Kio said:

Sadie is back home, and we're all trying to settle down.  It's super hard to handle all this while also trying to clean/move out for open houses in two weeks. But Leah and I are going to divide her time between us, and Meg is going to step in and help when I have to be away from home during the day (mainly tomorrow and Tuesday).  So far so good...

Bad story. Glad your dog is okay, could have ended up much worse. Hugs and best wishes as you move to new house. 

Thanks, everyone!  It's been a bad couple of days, but we're getting through it.  Sadie seems a little better each day.  Yesterday wasn't bad at all - she slept through a lot of it, and I had a friend over in the afternoon while I went to my doc's office (not surgery related - my PCP was concerned about my last thyroid numbers, and I had to get a pregnancy test (ha ha ha!) to continue taking my accutane for rosacea).  I was gone for quite a few hours and it was a welcome break.  Sadie was calm all night, too, so we got some sleep.

Today she is clearly feeling better because she has regained her stubbornness - it was murder to get her back inside after taking her out for morning business.  Then she insisted on following me and the painter upstairs (she's not supposed to do stairs, but it hurts her more to stop her than to let her, so the vet said it was ok) and then jumped up into her favorite chair with no help at all!

Pic of the patient below... not TOO graphic!

IMG_0965.jpg.652e900ee7d5515d5d55753d4b4aeccb.jpg