Newlife2018

New to the loser forum

Recommended Posts

Hallo All.

It's so nice to have found this forum. I am new to the process. Pre-op, waiting for my surgeon date and then surgery date. Was approved in principal now it's only the surgeon that has to decide and then it's go time for RNY. Can't wait to feel better about myself again. I have grown to not like myself very much and know that not only will this surgery change my health but also my psychy and confidence. 

Thanks for approving me

Edited by Newlife2018
Spelling mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome.  And I mean this, Welcome. We have been where you are and are here to support you. :)

I have never regretted having weight loss surgery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome!  It’s a great bunch here!  Feel free to ask any questions, we’ve all been there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to Thinner Times Newlife2018.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome, @Newlife2018 :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome! I hope you find as much support and information here as I have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much for the warm welcome Ladies. It's so wonderful to connect with people that's been there and know what's what. 

Congrats to you all, I have lurked for a while and read your successes and I must say, wowzers I do hope I will be as successful as you ladies.

Hope you are having a great weekend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ladies I see most if not all are under the goal weight on your profiles, was your goals higher than what you anticipated you would loose or was your procedure and lifestyle change the reason. I was told not to put a unrealistic goal. I would love to be 150lbs again but the team at clinic says to no it's too low and want me to aim for 200lbs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Newlife2018 said:

Ladies I see most if not all are under the goal weight on your profiles, was your goals higher than what you anticipated you would loose or was your procedure and lifestyle change the reason. I was told not to put a unrealistic goal. I would love to be 150lbs again but the team at clinic says to no it's too low and want me to aim for 200lbs.

Not a lady :rolleyes:, but I am a strong believe that after a gastric bypass you really can reach your goal weight as long as you stick to the post-op diet plan.  In terms of what is a proper goal weight, I write about this in a posting in the Maintenance section of TTF (see in particular the paragraph that begins "First"):

Note that I also am an advocate for maintaining (after you reach your goal weight) slightly below your goal weight, as that gives you a "cushion" of a few pounds in case you have a really good time on a vacation....

Finally, many people find that their goal weight changes as they lose weight, as they find that their original goal weight was too high or too low.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Newlife2018 - welcome to the forum.

At my clinic, they never really set a goal for me, but told me what the average weight loss was for each type of surgery.  Some of the goals posted on this forum will be those set by the team or nutritionist and some, like mine, are sort of guesses.  I looked up what a healthy weight was for someone my height, which is 155...that seemed lower than I could imagine and somewhat unrealistic, so I added 15 lbs.  I figured if I get down that low, I'll see how I feel and if I'm still losing steadily.  It's hard to imagine when you're at the beginning stages, but having watched some of the previous posters in their process as they got down to and past their initial goal weights has been very helpful.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Res Ipsa, so sorry hope I didn't offend you. Just took it all were ladies. First rookie mistake.

Thank you so much for the reference on what you wrote. I am going to go have a good read.

Much appreciated

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kayak19 said:

Hi @Newlife2018 - welcome to the forum.

At my clinic, they never really set a goal for me, but told me what the average weight loss was for each type of surgery.  Some of the goals posted on this forum will be those set by the team or nutritionist and some, like mine, are sort of guesses.  I looked up what a healthy weight was for someone my height, which is 155...that seemed lower than I could imagine and somewhat unrealistic, so I added 15 lbs.  I figured if I get down that low, I'll see how I feel and if I'm still losing steadily.  It's hard to imagine when you're at the beginning stages, but having watched some of the previous posters in their process as they got down to and past their initial goal weights has been very helpful.   

Thank you Kayak19 and thanks for the welcome, this is very helpful information and I will go sit and think back on when I was healthy looking and what will be good for my height and frame and set a goal accordingly.

Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Res Ipsa said:

Not a lady :rolleyes:, but I am a strong believe that after a gastric bypass you really can reach your goal weight as long as you stick to the post-op diet plan.  In terms of what is a proper goal weight, I write about this in a posting in the Maintenance section of TTF (see in particular the paragraph that begins "First"):

Note that I also am an advocate for maintaining (after you reach your goal weight) slightly below your goal weight, as that gives you a "cushion" of a few pounds in case you have a really good time on a vacation....

Finally, many people find that their goal weight changes as they lose weight, as they find that their original goal weight was too high or too low.

 

Thank you so much for sharing this with me. It is wonderfully written and so inspirational. I agree that maintenance should be most important and setting a realistic goal for my height and frame, not bmi based, should be reachable, realistic and maintained in the end. Thank you again and congratulations on keeping your goal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Newlife2018 said:

Res Ipsa, so sorry hope I didn't offend you. Just took it all were ladies. First rookie mistake.

Thank you so much for the reference on what you wrote. I am going to go have a good read.

Much appreciated

 

No offense at all :D, I do not post with a photo so you would have no easy way of knowing.  Also you can get much wisdom from the ladies who did post above - a truly amazing all-star group by the way - @cinwa, @Gretta, @Cheesehead, @Jen581791, @Nana Trish, and @kayak19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Res Ipsa said:

No offense at all :D, I do not post with a photo so you would have no easy way of knowing.  Also you can get much wisdom from the ladies who did post above - a truly amazing all-star group by the way - @cinwa, @Gretta, @Cheesehead, @Jen581791, @Nana Trish, and @kayak19

Thanks for understanding. I am so grateful that I have came across this all-star group. I am looking forward to share my journey with you too and hopefully be as a "big looser " as you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn’t given a goal weight.  I figured 160 was doable and I didn’t want to set myself up for failure.  I’d failed too many diets.  I had surgery to get healthy.  In my weird mind that was my single focus, I never pictured myself “smaller”.  I actually purchased a 1xl shirt before surgery, thinking I’d fit into it.  By the time I tried it on it hung on me.  Even after losing my weight I couldn’t see the smaller person in the mirror for about 4 Years.  My looks changed so much (with a much thinner face short hair was a no go, I’d never had long hair), I still have times identifying with both the old me and new me.  First picture was sept, 2012.  Last two Jan, 2018..you can get to any weight you want, it’s a matter of what you put in your mouth!

5519A1E8-981B-4FB7-9ADD-F555C6B3134D.jpeg

7EDD686D-A531-417A-8E69-0C733F456683.jpeg

2407B70E-2EEB-4379-A68F-0F8749948515.jpeg

Edited by Cheesehead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nana Trish is another who recently went below what her team thought she would!  Big shout out to her! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Newlife2018 said:

Ladies I see most if not all are under the goal weight on your profiles, was your goals higher than what you anticipated you would loose or was your procedure and lifestyle change the reason. I was told not to put a unrealistic goal. I would love to be 150lbs again but the team at clinic says to no it's too low and want me to aim for 200lbs.

Never had any goal set for me so I just aimed for a BMI of 25. I never really believed it was realistic but as time went by it got closer and closer until eventually I surpassed it. You're only a few lbs higher than I was at my highest. Anything is possible if you stick to your plan long enough. We all know those who don't and fall well short of goal, it's these folk that skew the statistics and cause surgeon's to understate where we can actually go if we try.

This forum is probably responsible for me getting to my goals. Here I see success everyday so I know it is achievable. Without this forum I certainly would have known less, but I also suspect I would have given up on weightloss earlier than I did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of great support here. People here have been a huge help to me since the beginning of my journey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome!  This is a great place for support (and an occasional kick in the butt when necessary).  

My dr set my goal weight for after 12-18 months as higher than I wanted...but still I'd have been happy at 170  when I was 241!!!  I am closing in on his goal soon....and i am only 5 months out.  When I hit it, I am resetting a new goal for me!  You can do the same.  Go for what your dr tells you then SMASH it!   It will feel doubly good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 150 goal was fairly arbitrary - it was as much as I had weighed when I last felt comfortable with my weight. I blew right through that. I guess my body is just happier where it is now - I'm eating quite a lot more and maintaining here OK so far. I think setting a slightly ambitious goal and then revising as you go is an OK way to go about it. Others advocate setting a really achievable goal so you can hit it, feel good, and keep going if that's in the cards for you. Really you have to know your own psychology. What motivates you best?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is absolutely amazing. Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences, words of wisdom and encouragement. I just know that I joined the right forum here. You all did so amazing, I can hardly believe you are the same people if I look at before and after pictures. I can hardly wait to be you and share my story with a newbie.

You rock and thank you for taking the time to write back to me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

 

I wasn’t given a goal weight.  I figured 160 was doable and I didn’t want to set myself up for failure.  I’d failed too many diets.  I had surgery to get healthy.  In my weird mind that was my single focus, I never pictured myself “smaller”.  I actually purchased a 1xl shirt before surgery, thinking I’d fit into it.  By the time I tried it on it hung on me.  Even after losing my weight I couldn’t see the smaller person in the mirror for about 4 Years.  My looks changed so much (with a much thinner face short hair was a no go, I’d never had long hair), I still have times identifying with both the old me and new me.  First picture was sept, 2012.  Last two Jan, 2018..you can get to any weight you want, it’s a matter of what you put in your mouth!

 

Wow, @Cheesehead!!! I truly can't believe that you are the same person in those before and after pics!!! What an incredible transformation!! And thanks so much for the shout out!! I think the reason I thought I might not hit my minds magical number of 160 is not only that my surgeon set the goal so high, but I started out a LOT heavier than a lot of folks here. I really didn't know, until I was well into the process, that anything truly is possible if you follow the rules :) 

 

16 hours ago, Newlife2018 said:

Ladies I see most if not all are under the goal weight on your profiles, was your goals higher than what you anticipated you would loose or was your procedure and lifestyle change the reason. I was told not to put a unrealistic goal. I would love to be 150lbs again but the team at clinic says to no it's too low and want me to aim for 200lbs.

@Newlife2018, I set my goal a bit higher, but at that time I really had no idea just how well this was going to work for me...or how well I would be able to work the plan. I knew 175 was pretty realistic for me, considering I started out at 336 pounds. But it was definitely the lifestyle changes and the way I learned to view food post op, being the main reason I've surpassed my goals. I originally wanted to reach 160 as my final goal, and now I've even gone below that :) 

Edited by Nana Trish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

Wow, @Cheesehead!!! I truly can't believe that you are the same person in those before and after pics!!! What an incredible transformation!! And thanks so much for the shout out!! I think the reason I thought I might not hit my minds magical number of 160 is not only that my surgeon set the goal so high, but I started out a LOT heavier than a lot of folks here. I really didn't know, until I was well into the process, that anything truly is possible if you follow the rules :) 

 

@Newlife2018, I set my goal a bit higher, but at that time I really had no idea just how well this was going to work for me...or how well I would be able to work the plan. I knew 175 was pretty realistic for me, considering I started out at 336 pounds. But it was definitely the lifestyle changes and the way I learned to view food post op, being the main reason I've surpassed my goals. I originally wanted to reach 160 as my final goal, and now I've even gone below that :) 

@Nana Trish I can't believe it, and I've been watching it happen! :) You're a star!!

Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 7.23.46 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now