Recommended Posts

Hi! I'm new to this forum. I had gastric sleeve in December of 2014 with minimal results. I think my highest was 247 and I got down to 216. I'm a 5'4 female. I wanted gastric bypass from the start but my surgeon talked me into the sleeve at the time. I've decided to go for the bypass and have a new surgeon now. I wasn't disciplined enough when I got the sleeve, one of my biggest worries is that I'll fail with the bypass also. I'm planning to take 2 weeks off from my desk job, I'm hoping that will be enough as I'll be burning PTO time. Any advice or words of encouragement are appreciated, I'm feeling oddly vulnerable over this whole thing. I think I may see a counselor also before surgery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum. I am so sorry to hear that the sleeve did not work for you. I just got sleeved 9 days ago and am very hopeful that it will work for me.

May I ask if you felt hungry with the sleeve? Were you able to consume a lot of food at each meal? Or was it that you just didn't really focus and put enough effort into it?

I know that others will be along shortly to welcome you and offer encouragement.

You have been through similar surgery before so at least you know what to expect this time around. A therapist may be a very good idea to boost your chances of a successful outcome.

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A counselor is never a bad idea. I think the best thing would be to get all the right habits started now, so there won't be much of an adjustment after surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rny42018 said:

Hi! I'm new to this forum. I had gastric sleeve in December of 2014 with minimal results. I think my highest was 247 and I got down to 216. I'm a 5'4 female. I wanted gastric bypass from the start but my surgeon talked me into the sleeve at the time. I've decided to go for the bypass and have a new surgeon now. I wasn't disciplined enough when I got the sleeve, one of my biggest worries is that I'll fail with the bypass also. I'm planning to take 2 weeks off from my desk job, I'm hoping that will be enough as I'll be burning PTO time. Any advice or words of encouragement are appreciated, I'm feeling oddly vulnerable over this whole thing. I think I may see a counselor also before surgery. 

A counsellor is a good idea. Has your new surgeon checked your sleeve via endoscopy yet? I only ask as many insurers will likely refuse to pay for revisional surgery unless there is a medical reason for the revision. That won't be an issue if you are self pay, but some surgeon's also won't do a revision if the issue is non-compliance to diet. If your surgeon has already agreed to do it though that also won't be an issue. Hopefully you have really checked out your new surgeon and their experience in revisional surgery. It isn't something to go into lightly given the much higher complication rates than first surgeries. Check out the ask Dr Callery section here because I know he does detail the extra complications. I read it myself before my revisional surgery. If there is no pressing medical need to revise then I'd recommend trying to work hard with what you have for now before undergoing further surgery.

Negativity aside now, my revision was the best thing I ever did. I had severe medical issues resulting from my first surgery, and the revision resolved all that and allowed me to lose all of my excess weight. I do have ongoing issues as a result of the revision, but these are more nuisance problems than anything else and couldn't have been anticipated prior to my surgery. Best wishes moving forward if that's what you choose to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to Thinner Times!

Support groups post-RNY plays an enormous role in our success.  Unfortunately, my group met in the afternoon so I was unable to attend but that where this forum came into its own and other than when I've been in hospital, I haven't missed a day in close to the 11 years since I joined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 4/4/2018 at 11:19 PM, Readytobeme said:

Welcome to the forum. I am so sorry to hear that the sleeve did not work for you. I just got sleeved 9 days ago and am very hopeful that it will work for me.

May I ask if you felt hungry with the sleeve? Were you able to consume a lot of food at each meal? Or was it that you just didn't really focus and put enough effort into it?

I know that others will be along shortly to welcome you and offer encouragement.

You have been through similar surgery before so at least you know what to expect this time around. A therapist may be a very good idea to boost your chances of a successful outcome.

Good luck!

I felt that I could eat more than I should be able to eat, though I ate quite a bit less than I did prior to surgery. But the most obvious problem was that I did not stick to my diet long term. Sleeve has been wonderful for so many others, I don't want to discourage anyone. For me, it just wasn't enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2018 at 4:13 AM, Aussie Bear said:

A counsellor is a good idea. Has your new surgeon checked your sleeve via endoscopy yet? I only ask as many insurers will likely refuse to pay for revisional surgery unless there is a medical reason for the revision. That won't be an issue if you are self pay, but some surgeon's also won't do a revision if the issue is non-compliance to diet. If your surgeon has already agreed to do it though that also won't be an issue. Hopefully you have really checked out your new surgeon and their experience in revisional surgery. It isn't something to go into lightly given the much higher complication rates than first surgeries. Check out the ask Dr Callery section here because I know he does detail the extra complications. I read it myself before my revisional surgery. If there is no pressing medical need to revise then I'd recommend trying to work hard with what you have for now before undergoing further surgery.

Negativity aside now, my revision was the best thing I ever did. I had severe medical issues resulting from my first surgery, and the revision resolved all that and allowed me to lose all of my excess weight. I do have ongoing issues as a result of the revision, but these are more nuisance problems than anything else and couldn't have been anticipated prior to my surgery. Best wishes moving forward if that's what you choose to do.

I was worried that insurance wouldn't cover it, also. However, there was no problem with approval at all. The thing is, I feel like I've never had surgery to begin with. I don't feel like I ever had the sleeve. I did not have any negative effects from it, and the only noticeable thing that happened was I was not able to eat as much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like your surgery is tomorrow. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Readytobeme said:

Looks like your surgery is tomorrow. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.

Thank you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot wait to welcome you back (again) to the losers bench!  Good luck tomorrow - we all are pulling for you. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much! I'm nervous and excited!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck with the surgery. I sincerely hope yours goes as well as mine did and your results this time around are just what your hoping for. Follow your post-op eating plan and there is no reason why they can't be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aussie is right. Plus, try and hang out here with us when you are able. Hopefully we can all keep each other motivated on our journey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now