Annette13

16 years post open but brand new here

Howdy. I'm 16 years post open from rny gastric bypass. I came here as I struggle very much with yoyo weight. I've never come close to my original weight but I'm so tired every 12 to 18 months having to lose the 50 to 80 lbs I've gained. I'm looking for folks who are many years post op like me to offer support and advice. I need to stop the madness. We back to pouch basics the end of Feb and have 25 lbs off so far. 

Welcome to Thinner Times Annette!

I'm 10 1/2 years out and maintaining my weight loss and I've done that by sticking to the programme I was given and continuing to weigh/measure and recording my food intake.

I know that I have to be diligent with my diet because this far out, I don't have the restriction that I once had.  Nor do I have the intolerances to sugars and fats either so for me, I have to avoid them altogether.

You're doing really well to have lost 25lb and if you want to continue to lose more, stick with your diet plan because it's working.

Thank you, Cinwa for the words of encouragement.  I need to resign myself to sticking by pouch rules is a lifetime commitment.  Thankfully I still dump on fats and sugars and get full relatively easy. My huge error was grazing. Keeping a plate of food near me all day. I've got to keep reminding myself that my goal weight will not stick around if I don't make this a lifestyle. All these years later and I still think of it as a diet. I wish I could break free from that mentality. 

Welcome, and great job getting back on track. Just coming here regularly really helps me stick with good habits. Hope to see you often.

Thank you, Gretta. I'm determined to lose this for the last time. 

Welcome! I have a tendency to want to graze, too, so I get it. Coming here every day helps keep my mind in the game - I'm only a year out, but it's been such a huge help to me along the way. I hope you find the support you need :) 

I'm 32 years out from my first surgery, but had revisional surgery 11 months ago (today as it so happens). My original pouch hadn't actually stretched much at all according to the surgeon....just had a big gaping hole where the stapleline had torn open. Best of luck getting back on the horse....I was always devastated when having to lose regained weight time and again.

On 4/4/2018 at 3:16 AM, Aussie Bear said:

I'm 32 years out from my first surgery, but had revisional surgery 11 months ago (today as it so happens). My original pouch hadn't actually stretched much at all according to the surgeon....just had a big gaping hole where the stapleline had torn open. Best of luck getting back on the horse....I was always devastated when having to lose regained weight time and again.

Oh my goodness that's quite a story. Praying they don't find anything wrong when I'm scoped this month. Did you lose weight after your revision? 

10 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Welcome! I have a tendency to want to graze, too, so I get it. Coming here every day helps keep my mind in the game - I'm only a year out, but it's been such a huge help to me along the way. I hope you find the support you need :) 

Thank you. Grazing has always been my #1 issue beginning year 2.  After a severe illness retired me early 4 years ago I slowly got into the habit of having a plate of food or snacks next to me or on the counter all day long. It even started to find its way to bed with me. I gained so much between my dr visit in September to February she had me get on the scale twice. How humiliated I was to have to tell her skip the blood tests I know why I've gained so much. Talk about an eye opener. Twenty five gone so far. Would like another 50 off. 

19 minutes ago, Annette13 said:

Twenty five gone so far. Would like another 50 off. 

You know how to be successful, obviously! It's just a question of making yourself stick to the plan :) We're here for you.

8 hours ago, Annette13 said:

Oh my goodness that's quite a story. Praying they don't find anything wrong when I'm scoped this month. Did you lose weight after your revision? 

Yes I did. I actually lost 27kg before my revision which bought me down to my equal lowest weight since youth. After the revision I lost another 23 kg which took my into a normal BMI range which I never thought I'd see in my lifetime.

Welcome @Annette13 Very happy to have you here :)

12 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

Yes I did. I actually lost 27kg before my revision which bought me down to my equal lowest weight since youth. After the revision I lost another 23 kg which took my into a normal BMI range which I never thought I'd see in my lifetime.

wow. Good for you.