meltingmagnolia

How long did the hair fallout last for you?

I have lots and lots of hair and I am incredibly lucky in that my stylist actually had gastric bypass (she recently cut my hair with hair loss in mind).   However, the fallout has begun for the past month and is going strong.  How long is this going to last? It's not coming out in clumps like post-pregnancy, but I am still filling a hairbrush daily.  I'm seeing where it can fall out for 6 months!  I'm not freaking out yet, but it really just depends on how long this is going to go on.  When should I expect to reach the worst of it?  As a squishy gal whose current body type "melting candle", hair is what I got going for me!

On a related note, my skin and nails love my bypass.  My skin is the clearest it has been in a decade.  My nails are growing like crazy and are the strongest they have ever been. That seems counterintuitive. 

Edited by meltingmagnolia

2 hours ago, meltingmagnolia said:

I have lots and lots of hair and I am incredibly lucky in that my stylist actually had gastric bypass (she recently cut my hair with hair loss in mind).   However, the fallout has begun for the past month and is going strong.  How long is this going to last? It's not coming out in clumps like post-pregnancy, but I am still filling a hairbrush daily.  I'm seeing where it can fall out for 6 months!  I'm not freaking out yet, but it really just depends on how long this is going to go on.  When should I expect to reach the worst of it?  As a squishy gal whose current body type "melting candle", hair is what I got going for me!

On a related note, my skin and nails love my bypass.  My skin is the clearest it has been in a decade.  My nails are growing like crazy and are the strongest they have ever been. That seems counterintuitive. 

The active falling out stage lasted from about 3 months out from surgery to 6 months out for me. I took a lot of biotin to encourage regrowth and I was a stickler about protein and multivitamins. No idea if those helped, but that was my plan of attack. The good news is that hair falling out is a good sign, counterintuitively. After surgery, our hair goes dormant until the body is getting enough of what it needs to grow hair. Then, when the hair follicles come out of dormancy because we're getting enough nutrients, we get hair fall of the stuff that was dormant. There's a good video with the science of it on Chemistry Queen's YouTube page. Love her, btw.

Hopefully you won't get too bad. Mine was more noticeable to me than to anyone else, but a little noticeable to others if I really persisted in seeking their perspective (husband, mom, etc). One thing you can do is try Toppik or another product like that - I've heard really good reports about it. I didn't ever try it myself since it sort of stopped before I got that desperate.

I didn't lose much in the way of hair but I went completely grey pretty much overnight and my hair became finer.  It started at around 8-12 weeks post-op.  I wasn't too concerned about the grey as I was 52 when I had my WLS.

Mine lasted month from 4 to month 9 or 10 post-op. It never looked thin, but I actually enjoyed having thinner (less heavy) hair for a bit (I have enough hair on my head for three people). The full brushes and constant vacuuming were annoying, though.

1 hour ago, Gretta said:

Mine lasted month from 4 to month 9 or 10 post-op. It never looked thin, but I actually enjoyed having thinner (less heavy) hair for a bit (I have enough hair on my head for three people). The full brushes and constant vacuuming were annoying, though.

I’ll take some if you’re just willing to give it away!!! :) 

2 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

I’ll take some if you’re just willing to give it away!!! :) 

Gladly!!!

Thanks for the info ladies.  Based on your feedback, I'm not going to bother stressing about it!  I had a fear that I was "just beginning" and that it would suddenly be falling out by the fistful for the next 6 months!  I'll keep taking my supplements and my vitamins and go about my business!

On 4/3/2018 at 8:24 AM, meltingmagnolia said:

There is a lot of data showing that the more protein you eat - the less hair loss you have. Not that it prevents it completely but that it helps. A lot of us have goals of ~ 60 grams of protein a day, but the studies I have seen show that higher protein intakes = less hair loss. The supplements, vitamins, etc help too but if you are looking to minimize loss, would want to max my protein too...

I never noticed any loss.  At the time my hair was super short and thick.  I almost wish mine would thin some.  Was going to donate it this month before vacation but daughter is getting married the end of June so thought I’d keep it till then.  I also got max protein in.  Plus side to thick hair is that it keeps the head warm in winter;)

You are in Wisconsin and I am on the gulf coast.....keeping my head warm is rarely a concern down here! I have dreams of shaving it all off in the summer!  

For my sister, it was only bad for about 3 months. After 6, she was back to normal. I heard you can combat hair loss, at least partially, with certain supplements. 

I noticed strands on bathroom counter slightly more then usual. I didn't have ANY noticeable hair loss on scalp which I was very concerned about before surgery. I did take biotin after surgery but stopped at five months post op because I hadn't had hair loss. My nutritionist told me that biotine was not proven scientifically. Whether it helped me or not I don't know, but happy to report that at 11 months out now, I haven't lost hair!

I had significant hair loss about 10 years ago when my dad died. That was super scary because I didn't know what was happening. Then it grew back. So when my surgery came around, I figured I might be "susceptible" to hair loss, so I maxed out protein and got ready to watch it fall out at month 3 post op. By month 5 I celebrated because it hadn't fallen out. 

But then by six months it did. Alot. But by then I had lost so much weight, I was focusing on that great benefit and trying to ignore the hair in the drain every day. By 10 months it had stopped falling out, and now I have alot of regrowth. It looks like I have short bangs because of the 2 inch hairs along my hair line. 

It's all good. I'll take temporary hair loss with permanent weight loss any day of the week!