NerdyToothpick

Stomach pain. Help?

Several days ago, I gobbled down steak and threw up. I haven’t been able to keep anything down since that night. My stomach is killing me. 

I called my new bariatric clinic (they did not do my surgery) and was told to stick to a liquid/soft diet for 48 hours. I mostly did so, but haven’t had any relief. I had an orange in the middle of the night and spent some time throwing up citrusy goodness. 

I called the clinic again and was told to stay on the liquid diet. The doctor I spoke to (it was your doc @BurgundyBoy! I spoke to a rockstar) said that the transition to an orange was too quick. It seems I have to stay on a liquid diet until I feel better. 

I cant lie. I’m scared. I am in real pain and it I’m scared I have a stricture. I nibbled on a thumb sized piece of matzoh and the pain is unbearable. I thought that chewing a flat piece of bread/cracker into a paste would be ok. I was WRONG. The doctor seemed unconcerned and told me that whatever is stuck in my stomach will soon pass. I’m feel fairly confident she has given me solid advice but I’m still scared. Can y’all talk me down from my scaredy cat ledge? Should I get a second opinion? Am I whipping myself up into a frenzy for nothing? Should I run towards the ER?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Especially the tough love kind. 

I'm so sorry to hear you're having such a rotten experience right now!!! :(:(:( 

It sounds like your pouch is really p!ssed off at you, which I'm sure feels very, very scary. Did things improve at all during the 48 hours? If they got better at all, I think I'd just go back to liquids and try to ride it out for a few more days. If there's something stuck in your pouch, certainly it would have broken down by then, right?? Have you tried papaya enzymes? It's kind of hard to believe there'd be something stuck - I'd be more inclined to believe that it's just really irritated, and a couple more days of liquids might help in that case, as well. I'm pretty sure an orange wouldn't help in that case, though, since citric acid would probably further irritate it. 

The pain sounds really bad. Does warm or cool help? 

If you had a stricture, I think it's not really an emergency unless you can't get liquids down. If you're able to drink shakes and water and broth and such, it's probably OK to let it rest a couple more days before you look into that possibility.

Keep in mind that I got my medical degree at WebMD.com, though...

Give it few days.  Oranges aren’t easily digested either.  Try papaya enzymes a few times.  

Can you keep water down?  

Echoing Cheeseheads question - are you OK drinking?  If you are, then there's no need to worry too much at this stage. 

Just keep up with your fluids (try warm chamomile and peppermint teas) for a couple of days or so and then try eating something soft like scrambled egg or yogurt.

@NerdyToothpick  Keep up the fluids - in the short term this is all about avoiding dehydration. 

If you have an irritated stomach (with or without a stricture)  that is raw you might want to just sip on protein drinks with a neutral pH, or yogurt as @cinwa suggests - acid may irritate things. 

Thanks everyone for getting back to me. Since I wrote this post, I’ve calmed down a little bit. I’m still worried but I thankfully got a good night’s sleep. 

I’ve been able to keep liquids down but nothing else. I’ve been drinking PP shakes, broth and various liquids. Despite the protein, I’m pretty hungry. I tried to go back to eating food but I threw up all over again. Doc said that due to the force of my vomiting, it will take me a while to get back to solid food. 48 hours at a time, I guess.

I am not certain if something was/is/still stuck. The surgeon who called said it sounds like something is stuck but she didn’t see me in person. I never felt pain after surgery and I’m surprised that I feel pain now. I have an appointment on Thursday with my new surgeon. Let’s see what he has to say. 

Blerg. 

10 minutes ago, NerdyToothpick said:

Thanks everyone for getting back to me. Since I wrote this post, I’ve calmed down a little bit. I’m still worried but I thankfully got a good night’s sleep. 

I’ve been able to keep liquids down but nothing else. I’ve been drinking PP shakes, broth and various liquids. Despite the protein, I’m pretty hungry. I tried to go back to eating food but I threw up all over again. Doc said that due to the force of my vomiting, it will take me a while to get back to solid food. 48 hours at a time, I guess.

I am not certain if something was/is/still stuck. The surgeon who called said it sounds like something is stuck but she didn’t see me in person. I never felt pain after surgery and I’m surprised that I feel pain now. I have an appointment on Thursday with my new surgeon. Let’s see what he has to say. 

Blerg. 

Best of luck hanging in there until Thursday!!! I really hope you feel better soon :( 

So sorry this is happening! Glad to hear you're able to stay hydrated. I hope Thursday brings answers. Ugh.

This sounds so awful and scary, NT! I'm glad you're feeling less panicked after some sleep. I think the doctor and the others are right: give your stomach as much time as you can to heal from this ordeal. 

Dang I am sorry you are having troubles.  Hoping by the time you get to the Dr. your issue will resolve itself....

How are you doing this afternoon?  How about cream soup?  Cottage cheese?  Yogurt, of course.  

That stinks! I hope it subsides soon.  Keep hydrated (since liquids stay down!) and hopefully you'll be feeling better soon...and I bet you'll avoid steaks for the rest of your life! :D

On 4/2/2018 at 10:57 AM, Jen581791 said:

Best of luck hanging in there until Thursday!!! I really hope you feel better soon :( 

Thanks Jen! I’m counting the seconds until I leave for the clinic. I’ll keep you posted. 

On 4/2/2018 at 7:29 PM, CheeringCJ said:

That stinks! I hope it subsides soon.  Keep hydrated (since liquids stay down!) and hopefully you'll be feeling better soon...and I bet you'll avoid steaks for the rest of your life! :D

Super gross confession time. When the steak came back up, it was still tasty. What the fork??

On 4/2/2018 at 5:28 PM, Cheesehead said:

How are you doing this afternoon?  How about cream soup?  Cottage cheese?  Yogurt, of course.  

I discovered flavored yogurt! I haven’t eaten flavored yogurt in years and it’s been a treat! My stomach still hurts like the dickens but I’m hoping to get help today. 

Sending y

1 hour ago, NerdyToothpick said:

.................My stomach still hurts like the dickens but I’m hoping to get help today. 

Sending you a gentle hug - I hope you get some answers and it's nothing too serious.

Any answers?  Inquiring minds want to know...

9 hours ago, NerdyToothpick said:

Super gross confession time. When the steak came back up, it was still tasty. What the fork??

Ok, this might approach the TMI line ... and there isn't much here that is too gross. (Just think of all those photos of flesh after plastic surgery :rolleyes: ). Like, did it need salt??

Must confess to still loving steak but really cut up my little portion now into little pieces...

Let us know how you are doing when able...

Sounds like you've been through a scary ordeal! Let us know what the doc says. Hope they can give you some relief!

9 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Ok, this might approach the TMI line ... and there isn't much here that is too gross. (Just think of all those photos of flesh after plastic surgery :rolleyes: ). Like, did it need salt??

Must confess to still loving steak but really cut up my little portion now into little pieces...

Let us know how you are doing when able...

You guys are gross.

You just hit my TMI line!!! :lol:

Anyone heard from NT?

@NerdyToothpick this sounds so stressful and unpleasant (and gross, thanks! :D ) - so sorry you're going through this.  I second the suggestion of cream soup - I find that a nice cream of chicken soup satisfies just about every basic craving I can come up with.  I'd suggest pureeing it though, because the campbell's variety at least has little tiny shreds of chicken in it. I only use half a can of water so it retains some mouth feel, but in your state... maybe a full can of water.

I hope you get some answers and some relief soon.  *HUG*  Keep posting, let us know how things are.

On 4/5/2018 at 7:55 AM, NerdyToothpick said:

LOL!!!!  Well, I have heard cows bring their food back up and then back down to redigest....perhaps that is a NT trait also?!?!?!   I love steak....I might just try it so I get to taste it twice like you did!!!  :D

Seriously though....is all well with you now?  Back to eating normal?

Hi everyone! I’m on a liquid diet for a month :( The thickest food I can have is yogurt or well puréed soup. I can’t keep much down and am dealing with dizziness and nausea. I am being monitored by new doctor and he is treating me as if I had an ulcer.  I like new doctor and he is a very good listener  

I have zero energy these days. Take my situation as a cautionary tale! Chew. Your. Food. 

Thanks for all the love. 

25 minutes ago, NerdyToothpick said:

I like new doctor and he is a very good listener

A very timely find for your Toothpick. Glad he's on the ball but sorry about the liquids. Hope you find a way to get enough calories in and stay healthy.