Astarisborn

Gastric emptying study? Gastroparesis?

Hey. Has any y’all had to do a gastric emptying study after an EGD? 

I had my EGD yesterday and my surgeon said my stomach was full of food. He’s now telling me I need a gastric emptying study and I’m scared this hinders my getting the gastric sleeve. Has this happened to anyone else. 

Please help

What's really at hand is finding out the cause of your gastroparesis. Are you diabetic? Do you take narcotics? Both are common at causing this. In some cases, a VSG is considered a treatment for gastroparesis, so it is by no means the end of your journey to getting to WLS. 

3 minutes ago, delilas said:

What's really at hand is finding out the cause of your gastroparesis. Are you diabetic? Do you take narcotics? Both are common at causing this. In some cases, a VSG is considered a treatment for gastroparesis, so it is by no means the end of your journey to getting to WLS. 

No, the only medicine I’ve ever taken for pain is ibuprofen. I’m not a diabetic. That’s why it’s so weird to me. & thanks for that, i don’t want anything to get in the way of me having WLS

4 hours ago, Astarisborn said:

No, the only medicine I’ve ever taken for pain is ibuprofen. I’m not a diabetic. That’s why it’s so weird to me. & thanks for that, i don’t want anything to get in the way of me having WLS

There can be other causes, including a malfunctioning vagus nerve, imbalances of electrolytes, or even thyroid disease. Unfortunately, it doesnt always have a root cause, but they should rule out the really obvious stuff first. It may also be the opening between your stomach and intestines is a butthead and simply not letting food out. That's not only a relatively easy fix, but it could be done in conjunction with your surgery.

If it makes you feel better, the emptying study is pretty simple and painless. You just eat a bit of food with a tracer in it, and they take use a scanner or xray (depends on the place) to check every so often how long it takes to empty out. 

Worst case scenario, they opt you for RNY instead of VSG, as this more or less completely bypasses the area causing the issue. Just talk it out with your surgeon and explain that this worries you - at least then you'll know what theyre thinking and what steps they may have for you to continue. 

6 hours ago, delilas said:

There can be other causes, including a malfunctioning vagus nerve, imbalances of electrolytes, or even thyroid disease. Unfortunately, it doesnt always have a root cause, but they should rule out the really obvious stuff first. It may also be the opening between your stomach and intestines is a butthead and simply not letting food out. That's not only a relatively easy fix, but it could be done in conjunction with your surgery.

If it makes you feel better, the emptying study is pretty simple and painless. You just eat a bit of food with a tracer in it, and they take use a scanner or xray (depends on the place) to check every so often how long it takes to empty out. 

Worst case scenario, they opt you for RNY instead of VSG, as this more or less completely bypasses the area causing the issue. Just talk it out with your surgeon and explain that this worries you - at least then you'll know what theyre thinking and what steps they may have for you to continue. 

Thanks a lot for the info! I really appreciate all your help :)