CherokeeGirl

Question about carbs and calories

I'm four years out. I know a lot of people that do low carb...stick to " really" low carbs, but don't bother about the calories at all. I want to lose another 20 pounds. Can we do that? Will that work with us? Just curious. I know it does work as I lost 25 pounds years ago doing just that...30 carbs a day... didn't even bother with calories, but will it work since we've had surgery. Thank you for your help and honest answers guys 

Blessings

For me, yes - low carb is and always has been the way to go although I do not worry about carbs from vegetables (except the starchy ones and I don't touch them).

I don't touch breads, rice, pasta etc. and limit legumes.

Thank you, my question is about "calories" do you pay attention to them? I know we are to be low carb......but how many set a calorie limit too?

I count calories religiously.  I average 1,800 - 2,000/day depending on my level activity.

I can and do eat some rice, pasta or bread almost every day, as well as my daily small bowl of goldfish crackers. :rolleyes:  I am at maintenance and find that I need to eat carbs in order to avoid losing more weight. I do not count calories but I estimate that I have about 2,100 calories per day.  I was low carb and low calorie when I was losing weight after my gastric bypass. 

@CherokeeGirl

Hesitate to answer your post since am only a year out from my sleeve but had been at same weight for 4-5 months and facing similar issue. 

I am counting my calories and logging my exercise pretty closely right now in hopes of losing just a bit more weight, as you are considering. Very clear to me right now that by upping my exercise by 1/2 hour a day my weight is going down by about a pound a week. These calculations can be off - but I figure that extra exercise is worth about -450 calories, so a week's worth is -3150, not quite a pound. Also think/believe, but less certain of it, that changing the balance of intake towards protein and fewer carbs is helping too. Recent studies have shown that if you eat more protein while doing muscle-building exercise you can increase the amount of muscle you put on by about 25%.  

I think the answer has to be individualized.  Some people do really well losing weight without looking at calorie count and others don't.  I would suggest tracking in something like My Fitness Pal so you get an accurate carb/protein/fat count as well as calorie total.  Try doing that without actively trying to obtain a certain calorie count (just do low carb) and see what happens with your weight.  If you are losing like you want to then you have your answer...yes you can just do low carb and not pay attention to calories.  If you are not getting the results you want, then you have the calorie counts for what isn't working so that you know how to tweak your diet to find what will work. 

1 hour ago, msmarymac said:

I think the answer has to be individualized.  Some people do really well losing weight without looking at calorie count and others don't.  I would suggest tracking in something like My Fitness Pal so you get an accurate carb/protein/fat count as well as calorie total.  Try doing that without actively trying to obtain a certain calorie count (just do low carb) and see what happens with your weight.  If you are losing like you want to then you have your answer...yes you can just do low carb and not pay attention to calories.  If you are not getting the results you want, then you have the calorie counts for what isn't working so that you know how to tweak your diet to find what will work. 

A really sensible approach that I think I may try to see if I can work out how maintenance is going to look for me! I guess I hadn't looked at it from that perspective before. Thanks for some interesting insight.