Sign in to follow this  
Sue A

bowel kinks

Adhesions from gastric by pass causing kinks in my intestines. Anyone else have this problem? I'm 15 yrs out

Oh that does not sound pleasant at all...I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this :( Have you had a lot of other complications since your WLS? It looks like you've been really successful at keeping your weight off, congrats on that! What are the doctors suggesting to fix it, surgery?

11 hours ago, Sue A said:

Adhesions from gastric by pass causing kinks in my intestines. Anyone else have this problem? I'm 15 yrs out

I had adhesions from my hysterectomy. We're taken care of during my revisional procedure.

I've been hospitalised twice because of adhesions causing a partial bowel blockage.  The first time I was kept in for a couple of days on a cocktail of pain medication and a clear liquid diet.  The second time landed me in ER late one evening and emergency surgery that night to remove my omentum (fatty layer over the intestines) because it had become adhesive and was pulling on some of my intestines.  I have never known pain like that Sue - you have my sympathy.

To clarify what adhesions are for those who aren't familiar with them:   Abdominal adhesions are scar tissue that forms between abdominal tissues and organs, mainly the bowels.  Usually, tissues and organs have slippery surfaces, which allow them to move around easily within the abdomen.  Adhesions can cause your intestines to stick together.

ETA:  Sue, have you tried self-massage with a little oil?  I found it very helpful.

10 hours ago, cinwa said:

emergency surgery that night to remove my omentum (fatty layer over the intestines) because it had become adhesive and was pulling on some of my intestines.  I have never known pain like that Sue - you have my sympathy.

Mine wasn't emergency surgery and I really had no idea I had the problem. When my revision was done the surgeon told me they found the omentum was shredded as a result of adhesions....so what was repairable was repaired with about half of the omentum being removed. It made for a pretty long surgery, but at least it was all done in one hit.

13 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

Mine wasn't emergency surgery and I really had no idea I had the problem. When my revision was done the surgeon told me they found the omentum was shredded as a result of adhesions....so what was repairable was repaired with about half of the omentum being removed. It made for a pretty long surgery, but at least it was all done in one hit.

My surgery was started laparoscopically and then converted to an open procedure once they saw what they were dealing with. 

They removed my greater omentum (over the stomach).  It had become adhesive and formed a ball which they sent off to the lab and I was warned that statistically, it was likely to be cancerous.  But thankfully, that wasn't the case with mine.  They also removed my appendix and gallbladder because they needed to avoid the risk of any further abdominal surgery in the future.

Sadly, that didn't work because a year later, I ended up having to have bilateral femoral hernias repaired with mesh.  That was started laparoscopically but converted to open because of adhesions so all in all, my belly area looks like a disaster area but you know, given the healthier and active life that bariatric surgery gave me, if I had to do it all again tomorrow, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

There are pictures of all of this in my gallery.

On 3/26/2018 at 2:15 PM, Sue A said:

Hi Sue, I have not (only one year out from a sleeve) but adhesions are pretty common after any kind of belly surgery. I've had family members need to have surgery to get rid of the adhesions 20 years after their surgery. I tried to find some long-term studies of adhesions after bariatric surgery but couldn't find much good information. 

18 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Hi Sue, I have not (only one year out from a sleeve) but adhesions are pretty common after any kind of belly surgery. I've had family members need to have surgery to get rid of the adhesions 20 years after their surgery. I tried to find some long-term studies of adhesions after bariatric surgery but couldn't find much good information. 

Exactly this - any abdominal surgery, be it forms of WLS or something as simple as a laparoscopic gallbladder or appendix removal - can cause adhesions. Normally, your intestines have a decent amount of wiggle room, but as adhesions and scar tissue forms, it holds them more in place, and in some people, that can cause these kinks. 

I work in endoscopy, and how many belly surgeries someone has had heavily weighs in to how we do a treatment plan - but sometimes all they need is one to cause it to be very difficult to do a colonoscopy - especially in women, since we have more organs in that general area as well.