Sign in to follow this  
ktallon

Month long period

So sorry in advance but i need to truely vent for a moment. I had my revision 1/29. I proceeded to start my period on 2/6 and thus far i have had no signs of stopping. I get that my body is going through a lot but man mother nature can take a hike any day now. I have endometriosis so needless to say the cramps are agonizing (tylenol does not touch the pain). I went to see my obgyn and she switched me to a different birth control pill but alas no relief still. I go for a follow  up in a few days hopefully she can fix me or at least give me something for the cramps. Also i don't think being on a blood thinner (post op blood clot) is helping matters either. Did i mention this is my least favorite part of being a woman. Im on the verge of begging for a complete hysterectomy if this doesn't stop soon. Besides how healthy is it to be bleeding this long. Okay im done ranting im going back to my corner with my heating pad and no chocolate or ice cream (at least im still making rational decisions lol)

I can relate, I had a 15 day period last month so I have no idea what this month will be.  I have had crazy cycles ever since my surgery.  I am guessing it is all the estrogen I used to store in the fat I am giving up.  I really have no idea. I do have to add that it was worse 2-3 months out so it had nothing to do w/ my blood thinner shots I was giving myself at home because that was done before the first month was up.

I hope yours stops!  (oh and my iron was EXTRA low so I am taking 2 pills a day along w 2 stool softeners.

How is the new job going?

@CheeringCJ the new job is going well thank you. Its definitely been a lot of learning as i am now working as an office manager (step up from my last job). I am liking being in charge lol. I go for my 3 month blood work in 2 weeks hopefully my iron isnt to low but with the way this lovely period has been i won't be to surprised either.

I am always anemic but at my 3 mo blood work I was so anemic they doubled my iron pill Rx....and that was BEFORE my 15 day period.  I have always been so regular you could set the moon phases by my 28 day cycles but not anymore!  They've been 20-40 days apart since my surgery and one lasted 1 hr (though I bled all over!) and one lasted 15 days!  Go figure!  I don't know if it is the surgery or that I am 51 yrs old and perhaps ready to start menopause....but since I was regular to the week before my surgery I am thinking it was my surgery. 

6 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

I am always anemic but at my 3 mo blood work I was so anemic they doubled my iron pill Rx....and that was BEFORE my 15 day period.  I have always been so regular you could set the moon phases by my 28 day cycles but not anymore!  They've been 20-40 days apart since my surgery and one lasted 1 hr (though I bled all over!) and one lasted 15 days!  Go figure!  I don't know if it is the surgery or that I am 51 yrs old and perhaps ready to start menopause....but since I was regular to the week before my surgery I am thinking it was my surgery. 

Sounds like you need to get your estrogen levels checked out. At the same time they can test your FSH which will tell you if you are heading into menopause or not. My gyn is still working to adjust mine since my surgery...it was low before the surgery due to my hysterectomy and ovaries removed as well....now it has completely bottomed out even with estrogen replacement, which causes all kinds of issues. It's worth keeping on top of your hormone levels as you lose weight.

4 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

Sounds like you need to get your estrogen levels checked out. At the same time they can test your FSH which will tell you if you are heading into menopause or not. My gyn is still working to adjust mine since my surgery...it was low before the surgery due to my hysterectomy and ovaries removed as well....now it has completely bottomed out even with estrogen replacement, which causes all kinds of issues. It's worth keeping on top of your hormone levels as you lose weight.

Thanks. I actually did get them checked at the same time I had my 3 mo checkup labs..,.and my dr said all was fine and I'm not peri menopausal yet, but it is hard to imagine with these irregularities. So I guess it actually is my weight loss, it is just so strange I can't comprehend it. 

Along with everything else you've been through, you should not have to deal with that ktallon.  I hope your OB/GYN comes up with a solution when you next see her.

sorry just need to vent on this again ugh. I had a follow up appointment and my obgyn did an ultrasound. Results of that is i have uterine fibroids (she says that is causing the pain) but the only thing she will prescribe for the pain is nsaids (which i obviously can't have). I did get about 4 days in which i was not bleeding but now i am bleeding again and it is so heavy that i have to change my pad every 30 minutes (not normal). Please tell me this will get better. If you don't count those 4 days i have been on my period for well over 2 months. Men should be glad they don't have to deal with this 

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this!  The surge of estrogen we get with weight loss is not helping as fibroids tend to proliferate with estrogen.  And the NSAIDS are the very best for pain due to their anti-prostaglandin effect so I'm not surprised they were recommended.  Sorry you can't take them :(

You might look into the non-surgical treatment of fibroids called embolization.  They essentially cut off the blood supply to the fibroid so they wither and die.  Yes!  Death to fibroids!!  That would be far gentler to your poor system than a hysterectomy, which is the traditional "cure" for fibroids.  That doesn't help your immediate issue which is heavy bleeding and pain, but I would sure check into it for a permanent solution.

@ktallon You aren’t alone. My period is endless and I’m not sure why. I’m having an ultrasound next week to check if I have fibroids. It’s most probably the reason I’m anemic. I’m following up with a doctor to talk about tubal ligation and ablation. I hope your period ends soon. It’s the pits.