Anita62

Exercise for excess skin

Has anyone lost 100 pounds and not had saggy skin?  If so is it because of exercise? I lost 60 pounds twenty years ago while exercising daily and did not have any skin issues. Now I need to loose 100 pounds and wonder if I'll have extra skin. I know being twenty years older isn't helping. 

Sadly Anita, you can't unstretch stretched skin and it's not made any better if you're like me and have a history of yoyo dieting because it causes a loss of elasticity and collagen. 

However, regular exercise will bring muscle and that makes the overall effect less noticeable.

I lost 100 pounds in my late 20's and didn't have saggy skin. When I did it again in my early 40's after WLS I had/have saggy skin. I had some removed and some I kept. As Cinwa said, you cannot unstretch skin. Pre-op I read the avg WLS patient saves about $5K a year in food and drink costs after WLS. If saggy skin will bother you, save for plastics. 

I lost 130 pounds post op (had surgery at 35 years old) and don’t have any excess skin (I lost 90 pounds at 19 and didn’t have any excess skin that time either). But I didn’t exercise until after I hit goal so that definitely wasn’t a factor. I also had 4 babies in less than 5 years and don’t have stretch marks. For some reason, my skin just bounces back. 

Edited by athenarose

On March 21, 2018 at 11:37 PM, athenarose said:

I lost 130 pounds post op (had surgery at 35 years old) and don’t have any excess skin (I lost 90 pounds at 19 and didn’t have any excess skin that time either). But I didn’t exercise until after I hit goal so that definitely wasn’t a factor. I also had 4 babies in less than 5 years and don’t have stretch marks. For some reason, my skin just bounces back. 

Great!! So I have hope!

It's all down to genes, age, and fat distribution patterns, I think! 

I have a bit of loose skin on my upper arms, my bum, and my thighs. My boobs are a bit saggy. My stomach skin is just a little loose. Altogether, though, I think I lucked out. I'm hoping things might tighten up over the next few months - we'll see. But I'm not too bothered by any of it right now, so that's good.