swanfray

protein oatmeal, any other semi-healthy carb recipes?

Hi everyone, I hope you're all doing well!! I've been incorporating carbs back into my diet due to gym regime so I need that energy. Lately I've been making oats cooked in banana and cream premier protein shake with a dollop of peanut butter. I make 4 oz of oatmeal, but eat half of that on a good day since oatmeal is heavy. I just wanted to share because it's sooo tasty and packed with protein. 

I also wanted to know if any of you have any recipes that I can make in the morning with oatmeal that's also both tasty and healthy?

Orrr any semi-healthy ways to incorporate carbs back into my diet.

Edited by swanfray

I found this recipe for Baked Banana Bread Oatmeal on Pinterest that I love.  I don't make it real often because I love it a little too much and find myself wanting to eat it for every meal not just breakfast lol.  What I like about it is that you can make it ahead because I am not so fond of cooking (or eating for that matter) in the morning. 

Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal serves 4-6 
gluten free, low fat, clean eating friendly, sugar free

3 large bananas (about 1 1/2 cups/350g mashed banana)
1 cup milk of choice 
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder 
1/2 tsp baking soda
Optional: add in ~1/4 cup honey/maple syrup/sugar if you like things sweet or whatever mix ins you like! (see ideas above)

Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F
Grease and/or line an 8x8" baking dish with baking paper
Mash your bananas and add in your egg, milk and vanilla. 
Add in your dry ingredients and stir to combine. 
Leave to soak for about 15 minutes. 
Pour your oatmeal into your baking dish and bake for 30-45 minutes or until cooked through and golden on top. 
Either serve immediately and spoon out your hot baked oatmeal or leave to cool before slicing. 
The oatmeal will stay fresh in the fridge for 2-3 days and freezes perfectly (which means you can keep it for months for a quick and easy breakfast!)

I use Premier Protein shake in place of the milk, usually Caramel flavored because that's what I have on hand) and don't add in any sugar or sweetener (it's plenty sweet from the bananas and the shake).  If I remember correctly I think I only used 2 bananas and increased to 2 eggs.  Anyway, it's tasty!

I also will have a low-carb tortilla occasionally or a "thin bun" .  Beans are an excellent way to add carbs; they have protein and are packed with fiber which helps with that common post-op issue of constipation.  One of my favorite lunches is a "burrito" made with a low carb tortilla and a spicy black bean patty mushed up with some cheese. 
I am not a hard core "low carb" person; but I do try to make sure that carbs I consume come with nutrition I need, either fiber, protein or phytonutrients. 

23 hours ago, msmarymac said:

I found this recipe for Baked Banana Bread Oatmeal on Pinterest that I love.  I don't make it real often because I love it a little too much and find myself wanting to eat it for every meal not just breakfast lol.  What I like about it is that you can make it ahead because I am not so fond of cooking (or eating for that matter) in the morning. 

Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal serves 4-6 
gluten free, low fat, clean eating friendly, sugar free

3 large bananas (about 1 1/2 cups/350g mashed banana)
1 cup milk of choice 
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder 
1/2 tsp baking soda
Optional: add in ~1/4 cup honey/maple syrup/sugar if you like things sweet or whatever mix ins you like! (see ideas above)

Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F
Grease and/or line an 8x8" baking dish with baking paper
Mash your bananas and add in your egg, milk and vanilla. 
Add in your dry ingredients and stir to combine. 
Leave to soak for about 15 minutes. 
Pour your oatmeal into your baking dish and bake for 30-45 minutes or until cooked through and golden on top. 
Either serve immediately and spoon out your hot baked oatmeal or leave to cool before slicing. 
The oatmeal will stay fresh in the fridge for 2-3 days and freezes perfectly (which means you can keep it for months for a quick and easy breakfast!)

I use Premier Protein shake in place of the milk, usually Caramel flavored because that's what I have on hand) and don't add in any sugar or sweetener (it's plenty sweet from the bananas and the shake).  If I remember correctly I think I only used 2 bananas and increased to 2 eggs.  Anyway, it's tasty!

I also will have a low-carb tortilla occasionally or a "thin bun" .  Beans are an excellent way to add carbs; they have protein and are packed with fiber which helps with that common post-op issue of constipation.  One of my favorite lunches is a "burrito" made with a low carb tortilla and a spicy black bean patty mushed up with some cheese. 
I am not a hard core "low carb" person; but I do try to make sure that carbs I consume come with nutrition I need, either fiber, protein or phytonutrients. 

Thanks so much! These are some tasty recipes. The WLS is very afraid of carbs, I've realized. It's for good reason, but I definitely need a more balanced diet so these are some great ideas.

I will have to try this .... Thank you

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:58 AM, swanfray said:

Thanks so much! These are some tasty recipes. The WLS is very afraid of carbs, I've realized. It's for good reason, but I definitely need a more balanced diet so these are some great ideas.

Making this at the moment, will let you know how it is.

I have a recipe for crock pot oatmeal using steel cut oats. It cooks overnight and is ready and yummy by morning. Leftovers can be kept in the fridge and reheated in the microwave. It is too much carbs for me right now but, I will post it here tomorrow in case anyone else is interested in it.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:58 AM, swanfray said:

The banana oatmeal bread was okay.  I used 2 eggs, 2 bananas, and premire caramel shake. The texture was too jelly/rubbery for me but the flavor was okay.

Edited by tracyringo