ARBARB

Did your doctor require a colonoscopy?

The reason I ask is because I am self-paying for a sleeve and my doctor wants to do my colonoscopy the same time he does the Upper GI.  I have no problem paying for the upper as that seems normal.  But this doctor is out of my insurance network and my insurance will not cover the colonoscopy and I don't want to pay for it when I can go to my normal hospital and have it done there for free.  The patient advocate was kind of rude with me because I said I wouldn't get it from his office. 

Is this normal?  Opinions?

if you are over 50, your insurance should pay for it as a routine testing....and your dr can get results from someone else.  I had my colonoscopy done w/ my upper GI (endoscopy)....I needed the colonoscopy bc I was 50 and the endoscopy bc of the surgery.  I had my GI dr do it at the same hospital but I didn't have my surgeon do it.  He just got her report and was fine with it.  You are certainly free to go somewhere else and for crying out loud, you are paying a fortune for the surgery, no need to pay ANY extra for anything else if you can get it for free! 

4 hours ago, ARBARB said:

The reason I ask is because I am self-paying for a sleeve and my doctor wants to do my colonoscopy the same time he does the Upper GI.  I have no problem paying for the upper as that seems normal.  But this doctor is out of my insurance network and my insurance will not cover the colonoscopy and I don't want to pay for it when I can go to my normal hospital and have it done there for free.  The patient advocate was kind of rude with me because I said I wouldn't get it from his office. 

Is this normal?  Opinions?

I had my EGD and colonoscopy done at the same time. My surgeon did the EGD and another Dr did the colonoscopy. I have a family history of colon cancer so normally get one every 5 years. I was not yet due for another 2 years.

My surgeon explained that when bariatric surgery is done on a patient that has unknown colon cancer, the cancer explodes very quickly. That was why she requires anyone over 50 to have the colonoscopy. It ended up being a very good thing because I had 3 precancerous polyps removed.

I do think that you have the right to choose the Dr that does it though. Most insurance company pay @ 100% for these procedures.

Edited by Readytobeme

Thank you.  

I've been reading that many people do get a colonoscopy at the same time.  And I would be good with that if my insurance did cover it.  But them REQUIRING me to get a colonoscopy from their doctor at the same time and their rudeness when I questioned this, I found off-putting.  I've thought about this overnight now and I've decided that if that's the deal then it's probably not a good idea for me to go to this place.  I'm not paying cash for a colonoscopy (that I can get for free 2 miles from my house) when I'm already paying for the surgery and everything else. 

They need to iterate a reason for the colonoscopy - if you're not over 50 and doing it for a screening, and you arent having symptoms that call for one, then your insurance isn't likely going to cover one, in-network or not. 

Edited by delilas

Mine did not..

Mine required one, but I have a long history of diverticulitis and it was precautionary in my case. It's utterly ridiculous that they don't want you to go to a doc that is covered through insurance though...like others have said, they can have the results sent to them from the treating physician. 

@ARBARB

You haven't posted your age, so it may be that if you are below the screening age then your insurance will not cover it, unless you have a family history. IF you are otherwise low risk, then there is a new test called a ColoGuard (for people 50+ years of age) that might be acceptable to your surgeons. Might work for you...

My surgeon did not require a colonoscopy, but I did have one a few months before my gastric bypass just to make sure that I did not have cancer.