michiganmilkman

Switching surgerys

Ive been having conflicting thoughts the last few nights. Im thinking of switching from rny to a sleeve. When I went to get my blood drawn today I went up to the bariatric center.  I ask the program cordenator about it and she said that I could switch. My surgeon was there and said that they thought rny is what I wanted and pushed that. I have had problems with heartburn in the past.  I also have a hiatal hernia that is going to get fixed during surgery.   Am I wrong to switch this close to my date?

If you have issues with heartburn or gerd i would highly suggest you stick with RNY unfortunately with sleeve it can and usually does end up making heartburn worse. I had gerd that got 10 times worse after my sleeve surgery. It was so bad i was on 3 different meds and still taking tums like candy. When i had my revision to Roux n y it alleviated the heartburn completely. 

When I lost a bunch of weight before on the atkins diet my heartburn went away till I gained my weight back. 

What is it about sleeve that you prefer to RNY?

There are, of course, lots of "RNY or VSG?" pages on the internet, but here's a pretty comprehensive one: https://www.obesitycoverage.com/gastric-bypass-vs-gastric-sleeve-surgery/  You might try drawing up a list of your own pros and cons on a T chart type thing and seeing if that helps. I'd be wary of the reflux with VSG (have you talked about that with your surgeon?). 

If the two procedures really seem like a toss-up to you, you should be aware that 99% of the people here on TTF end up happy with whichever procedure they decide on. All you'll know is what you have, so if it works for you (and both are very effective at helping to lose weight), you'll be happy with it. At the end of the day, I think the life as an RNY person vs. a VSG person is not terribly different. Certainly if I had to do it over again and my surgeon said I really had to do VSG instead of RNY, I'd still do it happily. Either way, barring something truly indicative that you should have one over the other (like diabetes or GERD, which mean RNY is best), the greatest predictor of success is your behavior and thinking  post-op rather than the type of procedure. 

4 hours ago, michiganmilkman said:

Ive been having conflicting thoughts the last few nights. Im thinking of switching from rny to a sleeve. When I went to get my blood drawn today I went up to the bariatric center.  I ask the program cordenator about it and she said that I could switch. My surgeon was there and said that they thought rny is what I wanted and pushed that. I have had problems with heartburn in the past.  I also have a hiatal hernia that is going to get fixed during surgery.   Am I wrong to switch this close to my date?

Maybe you should make a list of pros and cons for each? So funny because I was joking around with my group today telling them that I was going to switch to RNY. I was only kidding because my 3 friends there are all getting RNY. I feel like the odd man out. lol

Two of them have diabetes and other issues so will be best off with RNY. The other is a young college guy and I think that he just wants to get the weight off as fast as possible.

The decision is hard to make for sure. I researched both heavily before making my decision.

Only 11 days left for me and only 5 for you!!!! Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do you want to switch?

22 hours ago, michiganmilkman said:

No you are not wrong to switch.  I switched from RNY to the sleeve and I was so worried I would regret it but I don't. In fact I am so glad I switched. I switched the day I scheduled the surgery. I can take any meds I need to take and don't have to worry as much about vitamins. I did end up with reflux but it is controlled by medication and I also have a sm hernia that they are leaving alone at this time.

Here is a recent series of TTF posts on this topic (with a link to a long post by me on why I chose to have a RNY gastric bypass):

I have never regretted my choice to have a gastric bypass.

Thank you all for the replies.  I talked it over with my surgeon and have decided to get a sleeve.  My heartburn has gone away sence losing 30lbs pre op and my hiatal hernia will be fix at the time of the surgery.  Thanks again Rob

Edited by michiganmilkman
Spelling

11 minutes ago, michiganmilkman said:

Thank you all for the replies.  I talked it over with my surgeon and have decided to get a sleeve.  My heartburn has gone away sence losing 30lbs pre op and my hiatal hernia will be fix at the time of the surgery.  Thanks again Rob

Glad you've come to a decision you're more comfortable with Rob (see!  I got it right this time!  LOL!).

Don't forget to add your surgery type to your profile.

Glad you came to a decision, Rob. I'm sure it's a decision you're happy to have made :) Sometimes waiting and wondering and trying to decide is the worst part.

3 hours ago, michiganmilkman said:

That's great that you were able to come to a decision. Are you less nervous and getting more excited now?  Only 4 days to go for you!!!

Be sure to log in and report on how you are doing post op when you are able to do so. I am very excited to have mine done.Not a bit nervous as of now.

I'm glad you've made a decision that puts you at ease. That's important. I'm convinced you could be successful with either surgery. Won't be long now!