MiaS

Deciding what to do..

Hi everyone, am in the UK and a newbie here. I weight 194 pounds and I want to be 154 pounds. I had a gastric band at 194 pounds a few years ago and last year it failed and required emergency removal. During the time I had it I was 163 pounds throughout and am back to 194 now. Though it doesn’t sound like I weigh a lot I can’t lose weight. I want to consider a bypass now as it’s the “gold standard”

Any hints, tips, thoughts, advice?

I have endometriosis, PcOS and fibromyalgia & hiatus hernia

forgot to add with the band I was fine. I hated the maintenance having to go for fills and the occasional vomiting but it was a tool and I am mourning not having the tool and being bigger again 

Edited by MiaS

I have not yet had surgery, @MiaS so I don't have much wisdom to share quite yet. I feel sure that one of our veterans such as @cinwa will stop by soon and share any insight they may have to offer.

Good luck!

Hi @MiaS - sorry you had a band failure! I think those are pretty common, but definitely not nice to experience :( 

Your stats don't tell us how tall you are, so I can't calculate your BMI, so it's hard to say if you qualify for surgery in your country's system, of course. This sounds like a good discussion for your surgeon - there are people who have fairly low BMIs (relative to others getting surgery) who are very successful, though. RNY and VSG are both very reliable surgeries. 

Welcome to Thinner Times Mia.

I'm sorry that you've had a lot of issues with the band but as Jen rightly states, it is not uncommon.

Given your relatively low starting weight, I very much doubt that you'll be a candidate for WLS under the NHS which leaves you no option but to go private if you have the funds and offshore is definitely going to be the cheaper option.  Have you explored that?