Northwest Gal

Pre Surgery Night Jitters

Have GBP tomorrow have been struggling with nerves all day so I am now hoping to get some sleep and reading forum.  I know the reasons I am having the surgery but just scared of what my experience will be.  I have read the good the bad and the ugly but it’s still hard because I still have that “vanity” guilt lurking in my mind.  I have watched my health decline over the past few years and see the parallels between my health and my Dad’s at this age.  He lived to be 70 and then he was gone. He chose to live life on his terms and he got 70 years. I am choosing a different path and praying I am making the right decision. Any wise words or similar thoughts...?

Hi! Best wishes for a completely smooth surgery tomorrow. Try to turn the nerves into excitement. There will be more positive changes to your life than you can count! No need to feel vanity guilt when there are so many health and quality of life reasons for this procedure. By this time tomorrow, the surgery will be behind you, and you'll wonder why the heck you were so nervous. Hugs!

I was a bit nervous just before my gastric bypass surgery, especially since I had never had major surgery or general anesthesia before. But everything went very smoothly for me, and before I knew it I was through my surgery and in the recovery room. 

Weight loss surgery is not about vanity - it is about taking control of your life and your health. 

We are here to support you. Please post here once you have had your surgery, so that we all can welcome you to the losers bench. :)

Hi NW Gal,

I think everyone has nervous thoughts before surgery, but this is a needed procedure that will save your life in so many ways.  My Dr. gave me the anesthesia and it felt like I was asleep for just a few seconds and it was all over. In my case I was almost 10 years older then you are and I had a large paraesophigeal hernia in my chest that my surgeon had to fix first and then give me my bypass, so my surgery took 4 hours! Yours will probably only take half that time. Try to concentrate on all the benefits you will have like renewed energy, being in control of your eating, enjoying food as fuel instead of a way to medicate or stuff your feelings, and the pride you and your family will feel as your beautiful self emerges. I have lost 80 and have 50 more to go to get to a healthy BMI and I can feel such a difference, in every aspect of my life. If you are a person of faith trust in God to bring you through because you know He will be be with you. I remember singing a favorite hymn in my head as I was being wheeled into the OR and it brought me a calming peace. I will pray for you right now, and wish you many blessings as you begin your new life. Hugs!  

I was terrified, but I can say it’s the best thing I ever did for myself.  I was about your age with a multitude of health problems, which are now behind me:). I can do things I never dreamed possible as well as simple things like bending over to pick things up or tie my own shows.  Good luck today!  See you on the losers bench!

Wishing you a smooth trip to the losers bench Northwest Gal.

7 hours ago, Northwest Gal said:

I still have that “vanity” guilt lurking in my mind

The you who wrote the above needs to check in with the you who wrote the below :) 

7 hours ago, Northwest Gal said:

I have watched my health decline over the past few years

If you've watched your health decline, it's not a vanity thing. Plus, even if it were a vanity thing, who cares?! It's your life, and you want to have the best one you can. You're taking steps to do that. 

You're probably headed to the hospital or OR right now, so you may not see this, but I really hope your surgery goes smoothly. You have such an amazing ride coming your way - hang on, it's going to be incredible! :) 

@Northwest Gal

Just echoing the above comments - everyone has butterflies before surgery. But your risk of dying is so much higher staying heavy, than the small risk of surgery coupled with the years and years of less risk of bad things: better living and longer living from the weight reduction. Post when you can after surgery!!

11 hours ago, Northwest Gal said:

Have GBP tomorrow have been struggling with nerves all day so I am now hoping to get some sleep and reading forum.  I know the reasons I am having the surgery but just scared of what my experience will be.  I have read the good the bad and the ugly but it’s still hard because I still have that “vanity” guilt lurking in my mind.  I have watched my health decline over the past few years and see the parallels between my health and my Dad’s at this age.  He lived to be 70 and then he was gone. He chose to live life on his terms and he got 70 years. I am choosing a different path and praying I am making the right decision. Any wise words or similar thoughts...?

So excited for you @Northwest Gal!!  You are embarking on an amazing process of feeling better about you, and physically feeling better as a whole.  Let us know how things went. :)