Sign in to follow this  
ktallon

"Smoothie"

Do any of you have any recipes for smoothies? I found a few on the premier protein website but they seem high in carbs. Is there really a way to make a smoothie that is lower in carbs and higher in protein. I do have some vanilla protein powder and unflavored i can add just don't know what other ingredients i could use.

Most smooth recipes have fresh or frozen fruit added, which is where the carbs come from.  I've used a vanilla protein shake and blended it with baby spinach leaves and frozen blueberries.  Pretty tasty and really blueberries are pretty low in sugar.  Plus they are loaded with antioxidants that help prevent cancer and alzheimers :) 

Hi @ktallon

I take 1 cup of frozen blueberries and chop 'em up in a blender with about a quarter of a PP vanilla drink. After adding some psyllium (5 or 6 grams) for fiber, and a couple of Splendas, I then add the rest of the PP and briefly blend. The reason I don't add all the PP at once is that if you use a blender you are at risk of blending in a lot of air into the protein-rich PP liquid. Using just a little bit to moisten the slivers of frozen blueberries works really well.  In general the issue with smoothies and protein rich liquids or powders is avoiding the formation of a bubbly gel!

So the only carbs in this are the blueberries. You could use less, or different fruit; I specifically use blueberries since our diets are often so short on fruit and blueberries have lots and lots of good things in them. 

Yep, the fruit is probably what's causing the high carb counts. Just choose your fruit wisely - ones that have relatively low sugar counts. Berries are a good choice, usually. I wouldn't go crazy on eating fruit all day, but some carbs from fruit in your smoothie won't hurt you. Plus the antioxidant benefits as already mentioned.

I have a smoothie every morning with a quarter cup of blueberries (I prefer fresh for a little extra tartness, but frozen work fine), about a quarter of a banana, a handful of fresh spinach, and 6 ounces of Fairlife milk. I sweeten it with either SF vanilla Torani or some stevia sweetener packets. I don't use a protein drink or protein powder, but that would certainly work in place of the Fairlife. I actually freeze my ingredients in little tupperware containers (the fruit and the spinach) so I can dump into the blender, add milk, and go. The frozen fruit and spinach gives it a frozen enough texture that I don't need to add ice; I find adding ice requires me to blend so much longer, and then I get the bubbly gel Burgundy Boy mentions. No good. 

I've made peanut butter and banana smoothies before, and those are lower on carbs if you keep the banana to just a couple slices. Banana is strong enough that you can still taste it. PB2 is great for this, but any peanut butter will work. If you used chocolate protein powder, or added some cocoa, that would be delicious too.