Nana Trish

Soy allergy/intolerance?

I'm hoping some of my vegan/vegetarian friends ( @Jen581791?) can help me out.

I've just recently started eating soy products. Only roasted edamame and veggie burgers so far. I hadn't eaten a lot of the edamame, but the past couple of weeks I've eaten veggie burgers a couple of times each week. I started noticing what feels like small canker sores on the inside of my upper lip earlier this week, and then yesterday I had some pretty severe stomach pain (where my pouch is), gas, and a LOT of gurgling. Tonight, about an hour after eating my veggie burger, my throats is feeling tight. Uncomfortably. Do any of you know if these are signs of a soy allergy? I haven't had a canker sore in years, and I don't generally have much flatulent gas, so this is not normal for me. 

Yikes! No idea! I suppose canker sores sound like it could be a food intolerance of some sort (I get those from tartar control toothpaste, it's painful). I haven't heard of that as a symptom of soy issues, but I also haven't really looked into that... I guess if you stop the soy and it goes away...

The gurgling and gas could of course just be a reaction to consuming soybean stuff - they're beans, after all, and you haven't been eating anything like that in quite a while, I think, right? Your body might need to get used to dealing with fiber and beans. 

Something you could try for veggie stuff is Quorn brand. It's mycoprotein (from mushrooms aka fungus!) so it's not a soy product. Their stuff is very tasty and heavier protein with fewer carbs in general than most soy based veggie foods. The burgers are good, but it's the fake poultry that's my fave of that brand. 

Thanks, @Jen581791 :) I only started eating the veggie burgers with hubby since he gave up red meat. I figured if I liked them, and I do, it would save time and money eating the same meal that he does a couple of times a week. But the burgers definitely don't like me!! I will give the Quorn brand a try and see if I like that as much...but I love my fungus, lol, so hopefully it will be appealing to me. I'll give the foultry (hehe see what I did there?) a try too. Thanks for the ideas!

Oh and you're right, I have not been eating many beans at all...other than the occasional turkey chili. I guess it might take some time to reintroduce new foods into my diet. 

Edited by Nana Trish

Veggie burgers are certainly easy. I love them for that. A nice piece of “foultry” with some marinara and cheese melted on top is quite a good dinner.

I don't know whether this is going to help Trish but I did a search on soy allergy and came across this:  https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/soy-allergy/symptoms-causes/syc-20377802

Soy allergy symptoms can include:
Tingling in the mouth.
Hives; itching; or itchy, scaly skin (eczema)
Swelling of lips, face, tongue and throat, or other body parts.
Wheezing, runny nose or breathing difficulty.
Abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea or vomiting.
Skin redness (flushing)

I does sound as if you've had some symptoms on the list.

Thanks so much, @cinwa ♥️ I did Google soy allergy last night, and one site actually mentioned canker sores as well, so I think that might be what is happening. The pouch pain was so bad I was beginning to think I had an ulcer. But it lasted about 6 hours, then went away and hasn't come back...thank God. I was quite concerned with the throat tightness last night too. So for now, I'm done with soy. I have an appointment with my soon to be ex PCP on Wednesday, so I plan to ask her. I'll be seeing my new PCP on the 22nd, and I'm going to ask him about it as well. I really appreciate you researching this for me ♥️♥️♥️ 

Edited by Nana Trish