delilas

A few questions for your Sunday

Firstly, I'm over the moon after posting in blogs at the beginning of the month about my stall - I've dropped 6 pounds in 4 days since then. I seem to be losing in fits, which is aggravating, but someone just slap me next time I feel like the stall will never end, okay? And tell me to DRINK MY DARN WATER. Getting back to ensuring 64 ounces minimum daily has made a huge difference. I know better, but Im a little dumb sometimes.

Next, a few questions:

1 - I could not make myself want food or care about protein counts yesterday. Today, I'm ravenous. Did anyone else experience this, and god help me, when does it end? I mean....on the one hand, I kinda like the days I dont care about food at all, but even with high effort I couldnt make it to 500 calories yesterday. Its the jumping back and forth that has left me in a tizzy.

2 - I'm hitting the hair-falling-out portion of this weird and usually wonderful journey, and theres a lot of people talking about viviscal supplements on my hospitals support group page. However, theyre expensive, and largely fish-oil based, which sometimes I have a poor reaction to (depends on if the oil is tilapia based, which is hard to find out). I trust yall way more here than that support group - has anyone tried it? Im leaning towards just suffering through the three months of hairloss without trying any crazy or expensive remedies, but was interested :D

3 - Got any ideas for snacks I can carry in my pocket at work? I've burnt out on nut thins and trail-mix type things. I can keep a cooler in my little locker for things that have to be cold, but when things are moving quickly, stashing the leftover cheese or whatever in my pocket isnt a great option :D 

4 - I love you all :wub:

Great job so far on your weight loss. :)  In terms of your three questions:

1.  It is very common for many of us to be hungry one day and totally disinterested in food the next day.  Generally speaking, if you feel ravenous, try drinking liquids as often the feeling of hunger is actually thirst (I know that sounds strange but it really is true).  Also, sometimes when I am very hungry I drink half of a chilled Premier Protein chocolate flavor protein shake, and that blast of protein totally takes away my hunger.

2.  Sadly, hair loss is part of the weight loss surgery journey for many of us.  The general advice here at TTF on this is not to take fish oil supplements as you mention, but instead to take biotin supplements and to be really sure that you are getting enough protein, vitamins and liquids every day.  Almost always, most if not all of the lost hair will grow back in a few months.  Some people use their hair loss as an excuse to have a shorter hair cut.

3.  Snack ideas here at TTF varry greatly from person to person.  Some people have (well chewed) carrot sticks or celery, other people like nuts or cheese (in reasonable quantities), or Greek yoghurt.  Obviously you should avoid crackers, sweets, bread, cookies, and candy.  

On a side note, now that I am at my goal weight I sometimes eat Goldfish crackers as a snack on the theory that I am allowed to eat "fish"...  Yes, I know that this is not logical (and not recommended), but I am sticking with it :D

@delilas

Well, I wish I suffered from being indifferent about food... but would just say on your 'not much interest in food' days to keep the protein up. The most consistent factor in hair loss is protein intake, although the nutrients like biotin seem to be pretty important too. The 60 grams of protein a day most surgeons have us eat may not be enough to forestall hair loss.  

For a snack that fits in the pocket - an apple. Very filling, it's fruit which is in short supply for our diets, has fiber, and it you don't finish it - no big deal. Another thing that works for me: When I need something in my mouth I often pop in a lo-cal lemon and herb lozenge ... keeps my mouth occupied with some flavor, but almost no cals, and you can keep a few in your coat pocket and not worry they will go bad!

Snacks... I agree, an apple is my go to.  It’s dense, low cal and filling.  My drug of choice is ambrosia apples that I get at the local gas station, lol!  Sometimes they are my lunch with a Greek yogurt.  How about string cheese (I prefer mine at room temp), jerky beef sticks.  Cheese cubes, almonds, I also cut up a small cup of strawberries and add a dollop of Greek yogurt, sometimes that’s lunch even.  How about lunchmeat wrapped around a piece of string cheese.  

Appetites..  somedays food is a struggle, other days I could eat the paint off the walls!  On ravenous days I drink a lot of coffee, lol!

I never noticed hairloss but at the time it was short and I’ve always had thick hair..someone told me biotin causes hair growth where you don’t want it so I never took it..

8 hours ago, delilas said:

1 - I could not make myself want food or care about protein counts yesterday. Today, I'm ravenous. Did anyone else experience this, and god help me, when does it end? I mean....on the one hand, I kinda like the days I dont care about food at all, but even with high effort I couldnt make it to 500 calories yesterday. Its the jumping back and forth that has left me in a tizzy.

My Fitbit app prepares a weekly report on my food intake (it pulls it in from MFP) and I often look at it to get a picture of the week. Some weeks, I vary a fair bit by the day, but the weekly total is nearly spot on every week. You might want to look at your calorie intake as an average over the week. Keep up with the protein, though, I think!!

Hair - I take biotin, but that just encourages regrowth. I don't think anything besides keeping up on protein will slow the losses, and I think it's too late for that, really, by the time you notice it starting (hair loss means the hair follicles have been turned back on and are producing hair again after going dormant for a while - Chemistry Queen on YouTube has a good video about that if you search her YT site). 

Thank you all for your help! I do take biotin and have for a little over a year now, and I've heard some say it helps not lose quite as much. Here's hoping, because I have baby fine and thin hair and went through a spot with a bald patch right before my hypothyroid was diagnosed, and now that I see the bald patch coming out, I was freaking a little :)

Love the snack ideas, thank you all! I'm a bit burnt out on the ones Ive been using a lot, I always love a fresh perspective - and honestly, I dont know how apples didn't occur to me :P

@Jen581791 - my MFP pulls from my fitbit, but I can't seem to get it to do the other way around. I do get weekly reports from MFP, though, and looking back, my weekly totals are pretty spot on, so that's a relief. 

@delilas Congrats on coming off the stall. 

I still go through days I don't care about the food but I do make myself eat or drink to get the protein in. My calories range from 600-900 still .

I love power crunch bars for a snack. Moon cheese ? Cheese Whisps ?  

5 hours ago, tracyringo said:

@delilas Congrats on coming off the stall. 

I still go through days I don't care about the food but I do make myself eat or drink to get the protein in. My calories range from 600-900 still .

I love power crunch bars for a snack. Moon cheese ? Cheese Whisps ?  

Thank you! :D

I do love the power crunch bars, especially mint. 1/2 of one is good to keep going. 

And okay, I have to admit that everyone seems to love those Whisps, but I couldnt even finish chewing them the time I tried them! I love parmesan but for some reason Whisps were not my jam.

I wasn't familiar with moon cheese though, so I looked that up and I'll keep an eye out for them - since they have other flavors, that might be right up my alley! Thanks for the suggestion :D