I have a question about when people take that bite too many after surgery. If it comes back up, does it come right back up then and there or do you have time to make it to a bathroom? I know it's a weird question but it is something that I have wondered about. Would hate to gross others at the table out.

Unless it's something that SUPER disagrees with you, you will have time.  For me, anyway, it's not even really nausea - it's more a feeling that something just isn't going to go down for hours, not an urgent need to spew (sorry to be so graphic!!) When I say something comes back up, what I mean is eventually I decide to make it come back up, rather than endure the ongoing discomfort of burps and hiccups.

The few times I've felt actual urgent nausea are the times when I've thought, "Well, maybe if I just hang out a while it will eventually go down."  Then I burp and hiccup and burp and hiccup until my diaphragm rebels and true nausea results. 

Even the first time I had tuna post-op and realized immediately that it was far too early, I had plenty of time to run upstairs to the bathroom.

I’ve never thrown up post-op. Not when I’ve eaten too much, not when I had food poisoning, never. My body physically cannot do it and it is horrible at times. For me, at worst, I get the foamies and I dry heave (which is hell when it’s happening for hours on end). So, if you’re like me, actually vomiting isn’t something you have to worry about. Fwiw, I found that the very best thing that helps ease the discomfort of overeating is in getting in a hot bath with Epsom salt. For some reason, that helps me immensely.

The only time I’ve ever had an issue with food coming back up is when I ate roast that was a little dry and chicken that was reheated and got a little tough. They both got stuck and caused me pain and nausea, came up within 15 min and  immediately felt better. I’ve never had any issues with overeating post op becaus  I’m pretty crazy about weighing my food lol. But I’d imagine it’s a case by case situation and can vary.

Like Athenarose I haven't been able to vomit since surgery either. For that reason I always have papaya enzymes in my bag. They usually do the job for me. Mind you I haven't needed  to use them for months now as I've gotten much better at knowing just how much of different foods I can eat comfortably.

For me it’s about eating something that disagrees with my stomach, not eating too much (I’m really really careful about quantity). I don’t always know in advance what to look out for, but I have a list of usual suspects. When something gets “stuck” I am never nauseous - it just hurts and my mouth starts watering a lot, and through trial and error I’ve learned that it’s better out than in. Suffering for hours sucks, so I make myself throw up. I always have time to do it discreetly. It’s not horrible like throwing up pre-op. 

I was never able to make myself throw up pre-op, so kind of glad I can now. It’s a new talent ;) 

Edited by Jen581791

I'm well over 10 years post-RNY and I have never thrown up although there has been a couple of occasions when I would have like to.  The worst that has happened is a case of the foamies after I stupidly tried to swallow a piece of strawberry that was too big.

I do throw up if I eat too much. I also threw up if I ate something my stomach wasn't ready for yet. There are still foods I avoid. I do have some control to an extent - I can make it to a bathroom, but when I know it's coming I have to excuse myself immediately and go take care of it. It's not like throwing up before surgery though, or like throwing up from the flu , etc. I excuse myself for maybe 10 minutes and then I can go on with my day like nothing happened. I don't feel exhausted or have to lie down or anything. It's like, "Oh, guess I have to go do that now" and then it's over. 

That being said, I haven't thrown up in months now. Your body will tell you when to stop. You have to learn to hear it. It took me a while to listen. 

You could try measuring if you are worried about throwing up. Measuring food out works really well for a lot of people. It didn't work for me because my tummy was so finicky. I'd measure out 2 ounces of chicken or whatever and that would be fine one time but too much another time. 

Thanks, everyone. I plan to pay close attention and measure everything. I was just hoping that before I am able to get a grasp on quantity and I do take one bite too many, how immediate it would be coming back up. This does set my mind at ease so thanks again.

If I eat too much and cough  some will come up. So I try to avoid it, although it happens occasionally when I don't pay attention or eat too fast.

1 hour ago, JustErica said:

I do throw up if I eat too much. .... I do have some control to an extent - I can make it to a bathroom, but when I know it's coming I have to excuse myself immediately and go take care of it. It's not like throwing up before surgery though, or like throwing up from the flu , etc. I excuse myself for maybe 10 minutes and then I can go on with my day like nothing happened. I don't feel exhausted or have to lie down or anything. It's like, "Oh, guess I have to go do that now" and then it's over. ...

I haven't overeaten to the point of throwing up in many months now... and just to echo Erica, I have had discomfort but enough time to seek out a discrete location (bathroom, outdoors bushes, whatever). Just as she says it is not the instantly demanding, no-time-before-it-hits-you vomiting experienced with an illness.

Most amusing was about 3-4 weeks after surgery, family went to the wedding of a close friend's daughter - and they served short ribs and lots of things I had not had since before surgery. Served myself what seemed to be modest portions but... ended up fertilizing the bushes. I did, however, clock a somewhat larger than usual weight loss when I weighed myself the next day...<_<

1 hour ago, JustErica said:

I  Measuring food out works really well for a lot of people. It didn't work for me because my tummy was so finicky. I'd measure out 2 ounces of chicken or whatever and that would be fine one time but too much another time. 

Exactly!  And for me I am never quite sure what food it's going to be.  For instance, I spent about two weeks throwing up from Premier Protein shakes, after two months of being able to basically chug them any time I wanted.  So measuring can be a great guide, but I would say it's no guarantee!

Papaya enzyme is my friend.  It hasn’t happened in a long time but if I take that one bite too many...chew a couple of them.  They seem to help dissolve food.  And throwing up is more like foamies.  Spitting a lot..

you will learn to listen to your belly and not your head..if your belly says no more, listen.  Ignore your head telling you, “but it’s just one more bite”.  Waste is ok...

I've never thrown up, but if I eat too much I feel REALLY REALLY unconfortable. 

2 hours ago, Kio said:

Exactly!  And for me I am never quite sure what food it's going to be.  For instance, I spent about two weeks throwing up from Premier Protein shakes, after two months of being able to basically chug them any time I wanted.  So measuring can be a great guide, but I would say it's no guarantee!

Yes, for me, too. Speed, quantity, amount of chewing seem to not be the problem - it's just whatever my stomach does not want right then. Same food two days in a row can have different results. That said, I'm not doing carrot sticks for a while... dang carrot sticks.

I threw up a couple of times, maybe 3, about 3 months out, always with meat, such as lunchmeat, always if I was eating too fast, too big of bites, back to an old habit of scarfing food to get to a meeting or some other kind of rush...had just gone back to work and didn't have papaya enzymes stashed everywhere yet.  One of the times, I was trying to get home, didn't make it and had to pull over.  Another, I was monitoring kids in the lunchroom and had to run into my office, barely made it.  Starts with foamies and then feels like I'm throwing up a lung.

Hasn't happened since then, but I did adopt a pretty narrow menu of foods that I take to work and lunchmeat is not on the list.  Chili, cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese, apples, nuts, more recently salads are working, and papaya enzymes in my purse, car and desk.  They usually do the trick if I take that extra bite, but I know more how to recognize when to stop now too.  I almost always leave at least one bite behind.

13 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

Papaya enzyme is my friend.  It hasn’t happened in a long time but if I take that one bite too many...chew a couple of them.  They seem to help dissolve food.  And throwing up is more like foamies.  Spitting a lot..

you will learn to listen to your belly and not your head..if your belly says no more, listen.  Ignore your head telling you, “but it’s just one more bite”.  Waste is ok...

Oh the voices in my head !!!  Its just a bite or two !!

14 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

I take an enzyme with probiotic every day since my gallbladder was removed. I was not impressed with papaya pre op but, I do have a HUGE bottle of it to try for these occassions post op. I really hate throwing up.