kristinwitha_k

Upper Arm Shapewear, anyone?

Have you tried it? Do you have brands/styles to recommend (or not recommend, as the case may be?)

My bat wings are driving me batty. (Ha!) I've become a little self-conscious about how much bigger I appear, just because of the extra flubber on my arms. Oh, vanity. I searched the forum and only found one post, and no real recommendations. 

I'm looking for fashion-y under-your-clothes types, as well as something for workouts; the feeling of my extra skin and fat swinging around when I raise my arms is not my favorite. 

I don't have any recommendations, but I know that Spanx has "arm tights" out now. https://www.spanx.com/spanx-arm-tights-very-black-plus/

Back when I was a punk kid who was creative with my clothes, I would basically make those with tights. I just cut the legs to the length I wanted and cut a hole in the crotch of tights and put them on under shirts. I mostly did it with fishnets or cute stripe-y tights. In the summer, you may be able to buy small/medium (well, that would be the size I would get anyway) cotton leggings and do the same thing. 

Edited by Cardamom77

I don’t have any recommendations, but I wanted to add a comment. I had the same problem with my bat wings as you have now. But the more weight I lost, the smaller they got. Don’t get me wrong, there is a lot of wrinkly loose skin there, but it’s not nearly as bad as it was and my arms look considerably smaller now than they did on my way down the weight loss ladder, lol. Don’t invest a ton of money in shapewear for your arms until you are closer to goal, and see what your body is going to do. Find a brand that works for you and get some, but don’t break the bank. You may be pleasantly surprised once you reach goal ❤️

I saw those Spanx, @Cardamom77 - curious idea, although I wonder how much compression there is? Only one way to find out, I suppose. Thanks for the idea about the tights! That would never have occurred to me. 

And thanks, @Nana Trish, that makes me feel better. I know I'm being vain and I should be happy for that arm flab, it's a badge of honor, right? But I would really like them to go away. Ha. :) Fingers crossed I have the same experience you've had. 

@kristinwitha_k, I don’t think you’re being vain at all :) As many awesome things that come along with the weight loss, there is this stuff too...and it sucks, lol. The size of my arms is definitely noticibly smaller, but I’m not a huge fan of the way the skin looks. But even if I’m wearing thinner material, you can’t notice it at all if the top has sleeves, and that I can handle :) 

On 3/9/2018 at 2:54 PM, Cardamom77 said:

Back when I was a punk kid who was creative with my clothes, I would basically make those with tights. I just cut the legs to the length I wanted and cut a hole in the crotch of tights and put them on under shirts. I mostly did it with fishnets or cute stripe-y tights. In the summer, you may be able to buy small/medium (well, that would be the size I would get anyway) cotton leggings and do the same thing. 

I knew there was a reason I liked you. ;)

17 minutes ago, Nana Trish said:

@kristinwitha_k, I don’t think you’re being vain at all :) As many awesome things that come along with the weight loss, there is this stuff too...and it sucks, lol. The size of my arms is definitely noticibly smaller, but I’m not a huge fan of the way the skin looks. But even if I’m wearing thinner material, you can’t notice it at all if the top has sleeves, and that I can handle :) 

@kristinwitha_k I second everything @Nana Trish has said. You have every right to feel the way you do about your loose skin. My kid was playing with my underarm skin and I was mortified. That game lasted all of .02 seconds. 

Like Trish, I have loose arm skin. It has changed significantly since the early post surgery days. I find that my skin doesn’t look the same day to day. While still loose, my arms have gotten smaller over the past few months. If you can get away with a DIY or less expensive solution for your loose skin, do it. Your needs are going to change many times before the year is through.  

1 hour ago, NerdyToothpick said:

@kristinwitha_k I second everything @Nana Trish has said. You have every right to feel the way you do about your loose skin. My kid was playing with my underarm skin and I was mortified. That game lasted all of .02 seconds. 

Like Trish, I have loose arm skin. It has changed significantly since the early post surgery days. I find that my skin doesn’t look the same day to day. While still loose, my arms have gotten smaller over the past few months. If you can get away with a DIY or less expensive solution for your loose skin, do it. Your needs are going to change many times before the year is through.  

Absolutely agree.

Mine is much much better than it was, but I do still have loose skin. I wear short sleeves with great trepidation. I reserve the right to feel grumpy about my arms, even though they are SO MUCH BETTER than when they were big. If I wear elbow length sleeves, they just look like skinny arms. I was really worried when I was a few months out, but they are getting better. I'm doing some weight lifting now, so I think that might be helping to plump them up with little teeny muscles.

Cheap or DIY for now is probably best. Who knows where you'll end up, but it won't be where you are now! :)