Hi. Im on day three of the 2 week shake diet. I have got to say that this is the hardest diet I have ever done. Sence wed am im down 5.5 lbs. Im thinking that it is water weight. I just thought I'd check in. Take care Rob

36 minutes ago, michiganmilkman said:

Hi. Im on day three of the 2 week shake diet. I have got to say that this is the hardest diet I have ever done. Sence wed am im down 5.5 lbs. Im thinking that it is water weight. I just thought I'd check in. Take care Rob

Rob, I'm with you, it is tough! But I promise you two things- that the time will fly by, and that it is SO worth it.

What plan are they making you follow?

90 grams of protein.   So 3 premier protein shakes a day.  Im allowed 4 cups of lettuce a day with oil and vinegar.   

18 minutes ago, michiganmilkman said:

90 grams of protein.   So 3 premier protein shakes a day.  Im allowed 4 cups of lettuce a day with oil and vinegar.   

Ugh! That's pretty much what I was on the last couple months of my pre-op diet (Feb '17 - Nov '17). All I can say is it sucks, but you can do it brother. It's such a small blip of time on your radar. Keep your eyes on the prize and don't wallow.  :-)

Oops, edited to add-  @cinwa is right, consuming what you are I'd expect a pound or two weight loss every couple days. So definitely your loss up til this point is not all water. 

Edited by Michael_A

It can't all be water weight Rob.  Hang in there - think of the broader picture. You're off to a great start and every ounce you lose now is an ounce less to lose after your WLS.

Yep, I’m with cinwa! It isn’t all water weight. I lost 10 pounds on the pre op diet that never came back for good. Initially after surgery you will weigh a bit more because they pump you full of gas and liquids but it goes away quickly. It will be over before you know it!

On 3/9/2018 at 9:54 AM, michiganmilkman said:

Not sure how I missed this post, Rob. It gets easier after 4-5 days. My husband lost like 15 pounds our first few days doing this diet. I had lost nothing at that point. Amazing how guys can shed that water weight so quickly.

Just my opinion but losing 5.5 pounds in just 2 days is likely water weight. Our bodies need extra water to process carbs and when we quit eating carbs, the body will flush out what is no longer needed. Really more like 1.5 days from when you started until you posted. I could not imagine losing fat that quickly but, I am no expert either.

Edited by Readytobeme

On 3/9/2018 at 10:36 AM, michiganmilkman said:

My husband started out using the PP. Could not tolerate it because it upset his stomach badly. Had to return it all to Sams. He is now using Syntrax with FF Fairlife and doing much better with it. 36 grams protein each shake.

Im still at it.  Im really getting second thoughts on the whole process now. Has anyone ever postponed there surgery cause of them?

13 minutes ago, michiganmilkman said:

Im still at it.  Im really getting second thoughts on the whole process now. Has anyone ever postponed there surgery cause of them?

Nerves and doubts are totally normal. If I could go back and tell myself to relax and that it would be so worth it (and relatively easy), I would. Are your second thoughts related to the dangers of surgery, the lifestyle changes, or what?

11 minutes ago, michiganmilkman said:

After wasting 35+ years trying to lose weight (and keep it off) on my own only to end up heavier each time, I realised that if I wanted to have any chance at a future, WLS was my only option.  And I was in constant pain with my knees and back and that was just going to get worse unless I lost weight and kept it off.  I couldn't and didn't want to live that.

5 minutes ago, Gretta said:

Nerves and doubts are totally normal. If I could go back and tell myself to relax and that it would be so worth it (and relatively easy), I would. Are your second thoughts related to the dangers of surgery, the lifestyle changes, or what?

There mostly the dangers of the surgery.   And I need to be healed up fairy quickly so I csn get my crops in this spring

41 minutes ago, michiganmilkman said:

We had a couple that did the surgery together at one of our classes not long ago. They went through the process together the first time. Lost so much weight on the pre op diet that the canceled the surgery thinking they could do it on their own.

Did not take long for the weight to pile back on. They went back for surgery and had to start all over again.

You have come too far to back out now. This same scenario would likely happen to you and I doubt that you want to go through this again.

21 minutes ago, michiganmilkman said:

There mostly the dangers of the surgery.   And I need to be healed up fairy quickly so I csn get my crops in this spring

There are more dangers in continuing to be obese. I don't think that recovery takes that long for most folks.

2 minutes ago, Readytobeme said:

There are more dangers in continuing to be obese. I don't think that recovery takes that long for most folks.

I know.  Just alot of what ifs.  My wife says I dont handle change well. Lol  then im going back in forth if rny is right for me. 

28 minutes ago, michiganmilkman said:

There mostly the dangers of the surgery..........

Mike - do some research on what could happen if you continue to carry the amount of excess weight that you currently do and not have surgery.  

Try to push through the jitters. Afterward, you'll wonder why you even had them. Looking at other people's before & after pictures really helped me get fired up for my surgery.

It's totally normal to feel a bit waffly on surgery in the weeks before.  But recovery is fast, and weight loss is fast.  Think how much easier it will be to work with your crops when you're 50 lbs lighter. 

I was really nervous before my surgery, too - but now I'm 6 months out and SO glad I did it.  My world is completely changed.  Don't let the jitters cheat you out of a better life.

2 hours ago, cinwa said:

Mike - do some research on what could happen if you continue to carry the amount of excess weight that you currently do and not have surgery.  

Thank you @cinwa! I really needed a good chuckle today. Even after talking about the Rob/Mike thing, I really have to think not to call him Mike. I say that he should just go ahead and change his name to Mike :lol:

2 hours ago, michiganmilkman said:

I know.  Just alot of what ifs.  My wife says I dont handle change well. Lol  then im going back in forth if rny is right for me. 

Why do you think that RNY would not be right for you? Trust yourself. You chose RNY for good reason. Keep coming back here when you have doubts and we will keep telling you why they are unfounded.

Any type of surgery is scary but the statistics for various disease in obese people is much scarier. You are going to be on the other side wondering why you ever had doubts. You watch and see.

Thank you all for replying. I appreciate the support.  

1 hour ago, Readytobeme said:

Thank you @cinwa! I really needed a good chuckle today. Even after talking about the Rob/Mike thing, I really have to think not to call him Mike. I say that he should just go ahead and change his name to Mike :lol:

Oh - I've done it again!  I don't know why but I read "michiganmilkman" and continue to see "Mike".

I'm truly sorry Rob .... 

2 hours ago, cinwa said:

Oh - I've done it again!  I don't know why but I read "michiganmilkman" and continue to see "Mike".

I'm truly sorry Rob .... 

Its ok I can understand the confusion.  Lol  

@michiganmilkman Rob - some of the loss is water, true, but you are also losing real weight. 3 PP =480 cal, and even if you drown your lettuce in 1/4 cup of oil, that would be another 500 calories, so you must be negative a good 1000 calories a day (and likely more). 

Only good thing about eating that much lettuce... is you could actually eat 8 cups a day and it would still be pretty close to the same calorie count. :rolleyes: (I add pepper and various spices to keep my lettuce interesting). 

-> so to rethinking having the surgery

-> My two cents is well, maybe you could lose 150 lbs and get down to 173. A lot of people on this website have lost thousands of pounds (over and over) but of course regained it. All of us, everyone, considers this option of not having surgery, if their pre-surgery diet works. But the odds you could keep the pounds off is about 1 in 1500. That's based on a recent study of thousands of people... and people whose BMI was 35 were more lucky/successful (about 1%) than people with a BMI of 40, who in turn had more luck than those with a BMI of 45 or higher.  1 in 1500 isn't bad if you are playing the Powerball lottery but it sucks if 1 in 1500 is your health. You want 90% success, not less than 0.1% success. Starting with a BMI of 45 as you are, your chance of failure to sustainably have a normal weight is 99.9% against you. 

The hardest part about weight loss is not the losing, although that can be pretty tough. It's the maintaining. 

I hate change!  I think most of us do.  What if I can’t eat this or that.  What am I going to do if I go out to eat.  What about the changes that this means to our vacation (where are we going to eat)  so many what ifs...  just take a deep breath and take it day by day...  sometimes minute by minute...

I was so scared day of surgery, when they wheeled me into OR I told myself “it’s not too late to run”.  I thank God I didn’t!  I was terrified I wouldn’t wake up.  I had a really easy recovery.  I was back to work full time, on my feet all day without a break on day 9.  The only thing I had issues with was reaching above my head.  The dr. Didn’t give me lifting restrictions.  Told me my body would let me know.  

You can do it!  

Btw: I’m a follow Michigander by heart:). Tough, stubborn Midwesterner!

Lois