Katinka

Quitting Cigarettes at Midnight

@tracyringo @Phoenix97 @AliPat You guys are AMAZING & I can't express in words how much you guys are helping me to stay strong! 

Phoenix - I'm shocked it's even more difficult to quit than that white stuff! Ayyy. It is really challenging. There isn't like, a specific trigger I can avoid. That's because I pretty much smoked everywhere and for any reason..my co-workers smoke like chimney's, my family too..and I literally have no choice but to just deal. BUT I've got my eyes on the prize!! Just taking a whole lot of really deep breathes and chewing a whole lot of gum.. it's been my saving grace! 

Thanks to every single person on here who has taken the time to write me an encouraging word or give me advice, or share their experience. I am delighted to not only have someone to talk to about all this, but to feel a part of a community. It's a beautiful thing, and I am grateful.  :D

Ooh, you are doing well especially if you are constantly exposed to other smokers. After this, weight loss will be a piece of cake ;)

We didn't smoke in the house at the time I had to quit so that made it much easier on me.  The nicotine free vape was a life saver that first month.

Guys, my VSG surgery is happening this Monday at noon! :D I am so excited and a bit anxious. I have a 3 day pre-op diet that I began today. Ahhh! :)

1 hour ago, Katinka said:

Guys, my VSG surgery is happening this Monday at noon! :D I am so excited and a bit anxious. I have a 3 day pre-op diet that I began today. Ahhh! :)

That is awesome news, Katinka! Please do keep us posted of your progress. I know that you will do well.

4 hours ago, Katinka said:

Yeah!!!! Best wishes for a great surgery.

You will be fine xxx I worried loads and it was much better than I expected. X

Great to hear it's coming up soon! Best of luck and may it go as smoothly as possible. You've got some amazing times ahead :D 

Just the weekend to get through Katinka!

Keep busy, check that you have everything ready for when you come home and try and relax (easier said than done I know).

@Katinka Hope all well. Just put one foot in front of the other and you will be on the other side of your surgery. 

My wife quit smoking about 30 years ago. She still has dreams about it. Deeply ingrained. Good luck BB

Thank you all so much. Tomorrow is my big day. Thanks for your support and well wishes.  :)

Ps Has anyone had their surgery through one port only? They will be going in through my belly button, so I won’t have any scars. Just curious. Thanks. 

Best wishes for your surgery today. I hope everything goes smoothly.

I cannot wait to welcome you to the losers bench!  Good luck with the surgery. :)

5 hours ago, Katinka said:

Ps Has anyone had their surgery through one port only? They will be going in through my belly button, so I won’t have any scars. Just curious. Thanks. 

I had 5 incisions but, the only one that may possibly leave a small scar is the one on the right side that gave me a bit of trouble. My Dr said that was the one that she did most of the work through and really had to stretch it out.

You will be the first that I have heard from directly about the single incision surgery.

Hang in there. It will be over before you know it.

Not sure how I missed this thread! Congratulations and it sounds like you are doing great!

I quit smoking about 16 years ago. The info below helped me immensely. I read it so often I used to have it memorized. 

Benefits of Quitting

As soon as you quit, your body begins to repair the damage caused by smoking. See the health benefits you'll experience as soon as 20 minutes to 15 years after quitting.

20 Minutes After Quitting:

• Your heart rate drops to a normal level.

12 Hours After Quitting:

• The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.

2 Weeks to 3 Months After Quitting:

• Your risk of having a heart attack begins to drop.
  • Your lung function begins to improve.

1 to 9 Months After Quitting:

• Your coughing and shortness of breath decrease.

1 Year After Quitting:

• Your added risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker's.

5 to 15 Years After Quitting:

• Your risk of having a stroke is reduced to that of a nonsmoker's.
  • Your risk of getting cancer of the mouth, throat, or esophagus is half that of a smoker's.

10 Years After Quitting:

• Your risk of dying from lung cancer is about half that of a smoker's.
  • Your risk of getting bladder cancer is half that of a smoker's.
  • Your risk of getting cervical cancer or cancer of the larynx, kidney or pancreas decreases.

15 Years After Quitting:

• Your risk of coronary heart disease is the same as that of a nonsmoker.