Katinka

Quitting Cigarettes at Midnight

Ay yay yay. 

Hello person reading this. So, today I found out I have to be cigarette-free 1 month before I can have my VSG surgery..so at midnight, that’s it. I’m already having serious anxiety about it, but it’s kinda like the cartoons. I feel like I have a lil angel on one shoulder(better quality of life, health & VSG!) and a lil devil on the other(I have been a smoker more than half my life). Anyway, I know it’s all for the best, and what could be a better motivator than getting my surgery? This is just a “dear diary” moment. Anyone else out there in the same or similar boat? Ok, please wish me luck! Here goes every effort..and I hope I can stand myself in the next few days (haha-nervous laughter). 

Have a wonderful night & thanks for “listening”. 

Katinka

I just always lied about smoking prior to my surgery. There was always that fear that they'd test for contine before hand, but that didn't happen. I always had a shower before going to see my surgeon so they couldn't smell smoke on me. I eventually did stop for a while, but it sadly hasn't been permanent for me. I keep telling myself I have to give up again.

Good luck with it. If they've told you to stop a month before surgery, don't be surprised if they test you to make sure you have.

Edited by Aussie Bear

Best of luck! Keep telling yourself it will be sooo worth it! You can do it!

Sympathy! I just smoked to look cool when I was a teenager, so doesn’t really count.

I think maybe quitting smoking at the same time as dealing with surgery will help you keep your mind off one or the other at a time??? Best of luck. It is worth all the work. 

Congratulations on ditching the cigarettes Katinka but I echo what Aussie Bear said about springing a test on you so keep focussed on your goal and apart from the health aspect and think of the money you'll save.  Start putting that aside now and you'll have a tidy sum to spend on clothes as you slim down.

@Katinka I quit smoking 8 years ago. I used vaping to help me quit. I gradually reduced down to zero nicotine. I told my surgeon that I quit 8 years ago and it was no problem. I never mentioned that I currently vaped because I do not use nicotine and haven't in years. Well, I should have left things as they were. For some reason I mentioned that I vape when I met with my surgeon. Told her I use zero nic and she said she didn't trust it. Sent me to take a nicotine test anyway.

That would of been fine if not for the fact that it took 10 days for the test results to come back. It held me up from having surgery by two weeks. I was a little ticked off about it because I already had so many set backs.

I smoked heavily for 37 years. I am here to tell you that much like many food related things are in our head, so is the addiction to cigs. Yes, there is physical addiction to the nicotine and other nasty chemicals they put into cigs but, you are going to be surprised at how much of it is the actual habit that we are most addicted to.

You can do this. Try and avoid triggers. I quit cold turkey once and I had to avoid things like drinking coffee, sitting on my back porch, etc. Anything that triggered my need to smoke.

Hang in there. You can do this!

39 minutes ago, Readytobeme said:

@Katinka I quit smoking 8 years ago. I used vaping to help me quit. I gradually reduced down to zero nicotine. I told my surgeon that I quit 8 years ago and it was no problem. I never mentioned that I currently vaped because I do not use nicotine and haven't in years. Well, I should have left things as they were. For some reason I mentioned that I vape when I met with my surgeon. Told her I use zero nic and she said she didn't trust it. Sent me to take a nicotine test anyway.

That would of been fine if not for the fact that it took 10 days for the test results to come back. It held me up from having surgery by two weeks. I was a little ticked off about it because I already had so many set backs.

I smoked heavily for 37 years. I am here to tell you that much like many food related things are in our head, so is the addiction to cigs. Yes, there is physical addiction to the nicotine and other nasty chemicals they put into cigs but, you are going to be surprised at how much of it is the actual habit that we are most addicted to.

You can do this. Try and avoid triggers. I quit cold turkey once and I had to avoid things like drinking coffee, sitting on my back porch, etc. Anything that triggered my need to smoke.

Hang in there. You can do this!

Sitting on my back porch has been my downfall everytime Ive quit!!! It sounds lame, but the habit of smoking when I sit there is so very real.

How is it going?

Thank you all for your advice and well wishes. I really appreciate it. 

@Gretta it’s going. First day was really tough. So much so that after fighting the urge, I decided I definitely needed to try a zero nicotine vape or e-cig. So after work, I stopped at 2 gas stations and one smoke shop but no one had zero nicotine. So I went home dragging my feet.. I went to bed earlier than I can ever remember on a Friday night. I literally watched Jane the Virgin and past out right after(10 pm!) It was definitely for the best because I love to stay up late, smoking and drinking coffee and drawing or listening to music.. so it was a good idea-based on you guys’ advice about avoiding triggers.

Today I found a nicotine free e-cigarette, so I purchased it and I have to admit it’s helped a little. I don’t feel like raging when I’m going through a craving.. all I can do is focus on the prize which is the surgery. I’m not tempted to break and have a cigarette because I’d just have to start this torture all over again, so I’m just going to fight it out and hope 30 days just flies on by. The withdrawal is hell, though. No bueno. No fun. Le sigh. 

Awesome, Katinka!!!!! It will get easier with each day so hang in there!

Way to make it happen!

On 3/8/2018 at 11:50 PM, Katinka said:

Ay yay yay. 

Hello person reading this. So, today I found out I have to be cigarette-free 1 month before I can have my VSG surgery..so at midnight, that’s it. I’m already having serious anxiety about it, but it’s kinda like the cartoons. I feel like I have a lil angel on one shoulder(better quality of life, health & VSG!) and a lil devil on the other(I have been a smoker more than half my life). Anyway, I know it’s all for the best, and what could be a better motivator than getting my surgery? This is just a “dear diary” moment. Anyone else out there in the same or similar boat? Ok, please wish me luck! Here goes every effort..and I hope I can stand myself in the next few days (haha-nervous laughter). 

Katinka

Very hard. Good luck. My wife still has dreams about smoking, 25 or 30 years since she quit, deeply ingrained. 

How is it going @Katinka? Hope you are still hanging in there.

@Readytobeme I am officially into Day 7, Hour 9..it has been such a challenge! I am kinda miserable but I just keep thinking.. I'm inching closer to my surgery. I just hold onto that thought for dear life and it gets me through to the next craving.

How are you!? I see your surgery is in 10 days. That's so exciting! Are you doing a pre-op diet? How are you doing?

Thanks for asking & checking in on me! 

You're doing great Katinka.

Apart from the health risks, think of the money you're saving .... to spend on the clothes you'll need as you shrink.

@cinwa  Yes, another positive thing to think about it. Thanks! 

Good job on one whole week done!!!

Thank you @Gretta  :)

7 hours ago, Katinka said:

@Readytobeme I am officially into Day 7, Hour 9..it has been such a challenge! I am kinda miserable but I just keep thinking.. I'm inching closer to my surgery. I just hold onto that thought for dear life and it gets me through to the next craving.

How are you!? I see your surgery is in 10 days. That's so exciting! Are you doing a pre-op diet? How are you doing?

Thanks for asking & checking in on me! 

Just try and stay away from places that you would sit and smoke or things you do that you normally smoked. For me it was drinking coffee, talking on the phone and sitting on my back porch. We never smoked inside our house so the back screened porch was our smoking room.

YES!!! Woohoo!!! Only 10 days left and I can't wait. I am on a pre op diet and it is not so bad now. The first week was brutal though. Funny thing is that the dietician was able to calculate out exactly what I would lose each week with and without exercise. She was right on the money.

It gets a little stressful for me because I have to go to my moms house every day and give her insulin and meds. Plus any other tasks that she may need help with. Her health is not great and she is losing her vision. She has smoked for about 70 years now and refuses to stop. Just in the last two years she had, colon cancer, 2 heart attacks and 1 stroke. Still hanging on tight to the cigs.

So, try and keep in mind that the cigs have many nasty chemicals in them that are very harmful to your health. Quitting them will help you live a healthier, longer life just like the weight loss surgery will. You are going to feel like a new person! :)

It gets easier as days go on. I didn't smoke but chewed tobacco.  I quit when I went in for my first medical supervised weight loss.  Chantix helped me. It was a big big step on the right direction.  Just remember to never quit quiting

@Readytobeme You are so close. I am excited for you! Glad to hear the liquid diet is getting a little easier. 

I know what it’s like to have a family member be that addicted. My Dad is like that with his cigarettes too. He’s already had a major heart attack with 5 bypass and still won’t stop or even slow down. He smokes one after the other. And he becomes irrate if you say anything about it. It sucks. I hope they both wake up and stop the nonsense. But I understand them on another side too. It is such a strong addiction. And when it’s been part of your life for 50+ years, I just can’t even imagine how difficult it must be. I’ve been smoking, excuse me, had been smoking for 16 years before I quit. 

Anyway thank you so much for the encouragement. It is a big help to feel like I’m not alone and that someone cares about my struggle and success! Thanks to all of you. 

Thanks to you too @michiganmilkman

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:50 PM, Katinka said:

Ay yay yay. 

Katinka

I remember finding out at the first seminar that I had to quit smoking. I was not happy about it at all. I quit the day my Dr sent the paperwork saying I could have the surgery which was 5 months later. I just kept telling myself how much I needed this surgery and I used a nicotine free vape for about 6 weeks.  Good luck to you looks like you are doing well

OMG GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!! I quit in 2006 with Chantix. And even with pharmaceutical help, it was HARD. I have been on all sorts of things - was the wild child raver chick in the 90s - even all the way of having a $5000+ week booger sugar habit in my 20s, yuk- and to this day, I still say that cigarettes were the hardest to quit.  

Good for you - no great for you- you are doing incredible. Remember relapse is a part of recovery, and if you slip - which I seriously do not see you doing, but if so, start the quit process again. In my blog I write- that I have neglected for a month, now - I wrote "People ask me how I quit drugs. Honestly, I tried to quit a million times- it was the million and first time that stuck. 

Katinka, I raise a glass of non-carbonated, sugar free, delicious Kool-Aid beverage in your honor. :) Your life is about to change in ways that you will never have thought. @tracyringo has become my sounding board for grumbling, but seriously - with every "struggle" I have now - it is NOTHING compared to having NO hope for ever losing this weight. You are going to emerge a different, better person whose self worth is elevated by the very choices you have decided to take in the right direction. I am so happy for you. Welcome to other side. It exists. And like you, none of us thought we could ever make it here!!

And you know what the bonus is- alcohol does NOT taste nearly as good without cigarettes. I used to love a good Johnny Walker Blue Label over ice with a lime and a Dunhill Blue cig to pair up with it. Now - yuk that whiskey tastes like CRAP, and get that friggin' smoke out of my face!!    Hahaha!!!!

On 3/8/2018 at 8:50 PM, Katinka said:

Ay yay yay. 

Katinka

I just may be the most recent "quitter" here.  Last cigarette was 9-24-17 9:06am.  I vaped until my first WLS orientation where we were told we would be drug tested and it would include nicotine!  I read that it takes 30dys to get the nicotine out of your system to pass a drug test.  a few days later I switched to zero nicotine in my vape.  I was nicotine free 30+ days when I got drug tested after thanks giving.  I believe they drug tested me again right before surgery!  My surgery was 2-5-18 and I am soooo glad quitting cigarettes was long behind me.  I honestly don't think about smoking and haven't since about halloween last year. BUT...that doesn't mean I'm ok.  I think because I don't think about smoking, that I think  I don't have moments that need some type of coping skill.  and since in those moments I DONT think about cigarettes...I also don't think of taking care of myself in that moment, and I end up raging pissed at something/someone, where removing myself from the moment to smoke would have stopped my anger in it's tracks. 

I will also say that almost all of my outside plants have died, because I I no longer go outside every hour to smoke. It has taken me 6 months to be able to be outside among the lifeless brown carcasses of my once lush green sanctuary.  the only thing that survived was succulents and things planted in the ground.  but i knew i couldn't be among them and not smoke....so.... I'll be visiting lowe's and home depot soon to replenish and renew.

keep up the good work and know that every once in a while, you will reach for a cigarette without even thinking about it.  you'll be diggin in your purse for a while before you figure out that what you are looking for doesn't exist.  sometimes i'm driving and reach in the spot they used to be.... and then i'm glad I'm no longer controlled by those stinky expensive buggars! 

One last thing.....I've spent my cigarette money on clothes at the thrift store and I ..... LOVE... shopping for skinny clothes!!!  

I promise there will be a day that you just don't think about it any more..... HALLELUJAH!!

Edited by AliPat