NerdyToothpick

Biotin questions.

I stopped taking biotin after my new doc told me that it doesn’t do anything for hair. He made a point to stress that the supplement doesn’t do anything. I like the doc and felt he gave good advice, so I followed his instructions. 

I’m eleven months out (!!) and my hair is still thin. I started taking biotin again because I’m vain about my hair.  I know there are biotin devotees on the forum and I’d like your feedback. Do you sincerely believe that biotin has helped/not helped with hair restoration? 

I don't think it can hurt. I stopped taking it about 3 weeks ago but only because I was becoming over sensitive to medications that I usually tolerate well. I just decided to stop taking anything that wasn't really an essential and see if that helped me get back to my normal balance. I did make sure I had a biotin with colleges shampoo though.

I take biotin every day. My hair loss was a little noticeable but not terrible, and it seems to be coming back ok. I know for sure that it increased hair growth on my arms and legs, etc (not really what I was looking for, why can’t I redirect it to my head???) so I assume it did something for my head hair too. I mean, this sweet, sweet handlebar mustache is great, I guess, but I’d like my old head hair back, too.

200w.gif

Edited by Jen581791

@Jen581791 Biotin made my three chin hairs thicker pricklier and grow faster. I wish it were a joke. The thing that sucks is that one of them is in an area where I have vision loss, so my husband gets a panicked yell from the bathroom. 

@Aussie Bear I hadn’t thought about using a shampoo with collagen. I’m sorry to hear about your new sensitivity. Boo, hiss, boo. 

@NerdyToothpick There's apparently just not a ton of research https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28879195 

My own personal experience tells me that yeah, it grows hair, but kind of everywhere, hopefully on my head, too! 

True love = plucking each other's unwanted hairs from wherever they may grow.

I still take Biotin daily.  I have had hair loss in my temples, which seems to be growing back ever so slowly.  Bang pasting with a strong hairspray works for me :P

I have no clue how biotin works, but I’m interested to know as well. One thing I DON’T need is something speeding up the growth of facial hair, however, lol. Unlike a lot of the ladies here, I’ve already been through menopause (21 years ago), so I don’t have any new hormonal issues expected in my future. But what I’ve grown to call my “lady beard” :o doesn’t need help growing!!! I’m not sure how much hair loss I’ve actually experienced (since I shave my head), but I see new thinning spots over the past few weeks, and I’d really like to grow my hair out again someday. It’d be nice to find something to help regrow the head hair and not facial :) 

So here's where I am at 26 months out.  I've always had long hair and worn it in a braid. I ended up trimming off  8" of it over time because it became so thin.  I added Hair, Skin and Nails supplement as it has 5,000 mcg of Biotin which seems to help.  My hair is growing back in 3 stages; stage one is about the first 4" of my braid (which means it is finally thicker), stage two is just about ready to be held by the band where I start my braid and stage 3 is now about 3" long and gives me the most interesting bed head when I look in the mirror in the morning.  No problems with facial hair. 

I'm a big fan of Collagen Hydrolysate.  It's a powder that dissolves in my coffee and is tasteless. Pre-surgery, it definitely thickened my hair and got my nails growing (and my mom swears by it now too).  There are even people who say it turns their gray hair darker.  I've used the Great Lakes version and ordered it off of Amazon.  It might be worth checking out if you question the value of Biotin.